Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Clutch burning smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 03:49 PM

Clutch burning smell

I have been noticing a burning smell which I assume is coming from my clutch. I first noticed it when sitting on a hill waiting for a line of cars to pull out. I was not slipping the clutch as I sat there only moving up when the opportunity presented itself. Occaisionally I will notice it when I am pulling into or backing out of a parking spot or other times when the clutch might not be fully engaged. Today I noticed a strong smell when backing out of my snow-filled parking spot. Before anyone accuses me of doing it myself, I will admit to a few stalls early on and one ill-advised drop but a have not abused my car. I have been driving a standard car for nearly 20 years without any issues. I'm hoping that the smell is just due to a poor seal that is letting normal wear smells into my interior. I have not noticed any problems with the clutch other than the smell. It still drives fine.

Any constructive comments would be welcome.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:44 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Is the car brand new? If so, it could be the stuff burning off. That smell is all but entirely gone after 1,000 miles or so.

I usually roast the clutch a little when leaving a parking spot after a snow storm, especially if the road has been plowed and there is a berm of snow to drive over...If you've been driving for 20 years then you probably know how to tell if you're burning the clutch or not. If you smell clutch and you don't think you're slipping it, have the dealer check it out...
Old 02-17-2003, 10:55 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX / 06 f150 King Ranch
Jaz,

If it smelled like dirty socks then it was more than likely your clutch. This is normal. It will smoke from friction and it stinks. Mine stinks all the time. I use a ACT clutch with Exedy disc too. So, the smell happens to good aftermarket clutches too. When my car was new the clutch smelled and shuddered.

Paul...
Old 02-18-2003, 06:57 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
smell

i've been noticing that a lot lately, i've been driving up, down, backwards, in some steep snow cover mountain roads and its been happining to me too.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
if it's new, it's just the new clutch smell. if not, you clutch could be slippin'....
Old 07-03-2004, 09:40 PM

Car Info: iono nemore
my car is two weeks old, and one day i started noticing a burning smell inside the car. This is my first manual car, and it was a rough start but its smoothed out a whole lot. I can't smell the burning outside the car, but its noticable inside. Any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2004, 11:08 AM

Car Info: 03 PSM WRX stg 2
I never smell my clutch after normal street driving, but I always get the stank after a spirited drive through winding mountain roads. I'm guessing the smell is not normal when driving normally Just my 2 cents.