Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

blown tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 06:12 PM

Car Info: 05 CGM FXT STi
blown tranny.

well it was in first gear and going aprox 10 mph (1/2 throttle) thud/boom and it stopped moving. its an 03 5spd sedan with only 4000 miles on it. basically, the prop shaft is bent, 1st gear is stripped only 1/3 of the way around, and its stuck between 1st and second gear. they said it would need new bearings, case etc. so a new tranny is in order.

Now a factory rep was sent out to inspect/take pics, etc. and basically they said I am SOL "user abuse" this is absolute BS! first of all I was'nt shifting when it happened and they said the only way it would strip like that is if you were "banging gears" or downshifted too hard.

I am at a loss. of course I have to have a car so it needs to get fixed ($3600 for a new tranny installed) How much of a chance do I have if I open up a case with SOA and go through all the usual BS? basically it comes down to their word against mine. they say it was user abuse. my brother (tech) inspected the tranny and said there is no way in hell this could happen unless something was defective from the factory. I see WRX's all the time with 300+whp not breaking trannies...if anyone has any advise or help please please please respond.

one last thing. my car is stock xcept a cat back exhaust I always thought parts were warrantied unless an aftermarket part directly affected the broken part(s)

thanks.

thanks.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:11 AM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
man SOA reps are *******s. All i hear is case after case of them sending a rep to inspect the tranny and then saying your SOL. I just hope i never mess my tranny up so i dont have to go through all this crap. But try to fight it.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:18 PM

I'm going to fight them in small claims...I would upgrade the tranny if it was time for it to brake! but at 4000 miles subaru is fully responsible for defective parts. Hell I've considered going with a 6 spd but why should I have to pay for parts that shouldnt have broken in the first place?
Old 04-19-2003, 06:49 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
If in the end you lose, heaven forbid... Like the above purchase the gears from ralli spec and have your tranny rebuilt. Or purchase a used tranny preferably a sti one and it doesn't have to be a 6spd, the 5spd's are actually quite strong as well.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:01 PM

how are you guys driving your cars? i have had no problems with my gear box. i dont launch it often, and always shift nicely, and rev match on every downshift.
i know that not everyone will drive as conservative as me, but i do my fair share of autox and track days, not to mention some VERY serious 10/10ths driving.

has anyone had any problems with the tranny on a stock motor?
Old 04-21-2003, 05:06 PM

my motor was stock. I'm guessing every car manufacturer (including Subaru) has there "oddballs" and I was unlucky enough to buy one. Nobody's perfect every manufacturer, no matter what product it is, has problems...my tranny is on back order until May 1st, because SOA told me " our tranny's dont break, so we dont keep replacement ones on hand" BS !!!!! everything can break, its just a question of how and when. it could be a defect in the metal, or just a sh!tty driver. I baby my car and every car I've owned and I'm far from a sh!tty driver (sparkly clean driving record, knock on wood)
Old 05-06-2003, 08:11 PM

sue them, i sued subaru of america for my tranny, since it broke twice. they repaired the first time and denied me the second, and almost denied me the first. but i won the cost of a new transmission and labor. they have too prove that you abuse the car, they cant just say it. my court deal took a half hour and the judge pretty much said to the subaru rep, which is what they would send also for you if you sued them, you have a hard time proving that he abused this transmission so if you cant you lose. hope this helps
Old 05-07-2003, 02:26 PM

i meant conciliation court, up to 7000 dollars!!
Old 05-07-2003, 06:15 PM

thanks for the help guys, I'm still compiling as much info/research into this trans as possible. If you guys happen to stumble accross any info, send it this way.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:52 PM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
I just lost 2nd gear today. I was driving normal, nothing hard, and crackle, crackle, vrooom, vroom. Limped the car to the dealership in 3rd. Car has 8400 miles on it, and for the last 4,000 Ive been nagging them about a grinding gear. They keep saying that there is nothing wrong with it. Monday: car goes in for grinding tranny, Wednesday: no more 2nd gear. What the hell? I thought that nothing was wrong with it. Now their tryin to say that my short throw shifter caused it B.S.! If this isn't under warranty I am getting a 6 speed and they are getting a law suite.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:26 PM

is your car stock?
Old 05-08-2003, 08:39 AM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
Nope, minnamly modded. For power HKS downpipe, APEXI cat back, Injen Intake, Gruppe-S up pipe, ACT street clutch, Fidenza flywheel, Vivid Racing short throw shifter. For looks STi carbon side markers, Zerosports carbon wing risere, Mille Miglia Evo 5 wheels, Auto Meter boost gauge, Sparco 4 point harnesses, Harness bar, JUN exhaust bumper protector.

Quick Reply: blown tranny.