Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Binding in reverse '96 OBS

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 01:13 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon
Question Binding in reverse '96 OBS

My wife's 1996 Outback Sport feels like the brakes drag when backing out of a parking space with the steering wheel turned. If I push in the clutch, it rolls just free and fine, so I suspect one of the differentials is binding somehow. My WRX does not do this, and my wife has been driving this car for years, so I'm sure it's not normal. I sent her in to have the Transmission and Diff oils changed, hoping the old fluid would show something, but the tech said it was up to the level and clean and would not charge for the service (How about that!). He also thought the car was sticky in reverse.

My guess is that both the front and rear on this model would be open differentials.

Any one have any troubleshooting advice?

How does one check the center diff? My factory WRX manual says zilch other than that it's a sealed unit.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:09 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon
Question More info

Put the car up on 4 jackstands and ran it in gear.

Both diffs are open across the axle, I can snub each spinning tire down to a stop and the opposite wheel just speeds up. One rear wheel has a little pulse where it would like to turn a bit, but I can hold it still with my finger tips.

No apparent brake drag on any wheel, even after using the Parking brake.

I cranked the steering wheel left and right with each opposite wheel snubbed to a stop, no noise from the CV joints or axles.

If I try to put on the parking brake in gear, it stalls the engine, as I would expect a viscous diff to do as it heats up.

With the engine off, in neutral, I can't turn the front wheels forward together if the parking brake is on, locking the rear wheels. W/O the brake they turn freely along with the rears. I would expect them to turn at least a little before locking up the diff, but perhaps I'm not able to put enough torque on them by hand.

When the car is warm, a tight turn forward binds up the drivetrain like an old 4x4 with a transfer case, the tires scuffing and squirming. It seems to me it's the center diff. Any other ideas out there?

I've rebuilr engines & thrown new bearings in RWD trannys before, lots o' tools on hand, anyone have any tips on replacing one of these diffs, parts sources or upgrade info?