Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Best Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 08:20 PM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Originally posted by BAN SUVS
The friction modifier is an additive that helps clutch plates (i.e. synchros and limited slips) grip and match speed faster. That's what you would want.
As I understood it though, the regular GM synchromesh already has friction modifiers but the "friction modified" one has an additional additive specifically for certain GM vehicles. I just didn't know if the friction modified stuff was "overkill" because it seems that the other brands of synchromesh fluid (penzoil etc.) are equivalent to the "regular" GM fluid...
Old 01-31-2004, 01:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
Originally posted by rustokman
What do the rally cars use? It wouldn't really matter since its a completely different tranny and a different drivind manner and there is really no clutch. But it seems like if the oil is good enough for rally cars then it should be a god one.

http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/75w90rhd.htm
Old 01-31-2004, 02:55 PM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Update: I got some Penzoil Synchromesh (same as the GM stuff but cheaper) and topped off my OEM fluid. Initial impressions are it didn't change much. In all fairness though, it only took a few ounces to top off my fluid. Shifting does feel a bit different, maybe a bit more notchy/loose (I was looking for more fluidity). I can shift into first by rev matching up to 15mph without grinding but this was similar to the performance of the tranny I was experiencing before... I will have to see how it performs when cold because those are the times when I've experienced occasional grinding... So I guess all I can say is that topping off your OEM transmission fluid with Synchromesh doesn't really help shifter feel or action if you weren't having any problems to begin with. Perhaps with a larger proportion of Synchromesh shifter feel would improve. When I do my first scheduled tranny fluid change I will most likely go with a "cocktail" including Synchromesh, purely for the reason that it is supposed to help extend synchro life, which seems to be a problem with our trannies....