Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Bearing/Bushing noise when cold 1st start

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 10:50 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX Wagon
Question Bearing/Bushing noise when cold 1st start

I've got this noise that only occurs after the car sits overnight when the temps are at or near 40-50 degrees or colder. When you first start the car there is a bearing or bushing noise that comes from the trans (when the clutch pedal is depressed the noise goes away) for about a minute then quiets down and I don't hear it again until the car sits overnight again. It sounds like if you had an electric motor with a dried out bushing in it. Just wondering if anyone else had this happen. Figure I'll have to take it in but just fishing for ideas.

03 Wagon 5mt
16 k Miles
no mods
Old 02-16-2004, 06:33 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
I had similar noise but it never went away. at one point i was trying to convince the service mgr number of times but he insisted that it was from normal wear. (by letting me hear other older WRX's) i thought it might have been a bad bearing in tranny. that was bout 40k mi ago. now i have 81k mi and no major problems.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:23 PM

Car Info: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3, Black, 6spd
I just had my entire clutch set up changed for the noise and it is still there. I am bringing it back to the dealer to see if its inside the trans or if I will have to live with it.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:26 PM

I think I am going to try and take it in to Maita here in Sacramento next week.....maybe they will have an idea. The thing that sucks is it is hard to duplicate, if the weather warms up, then I am screwed
Old 02-19-2004, 07:50 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
Re: Bearing/Bushing noise when cold 1st start

Originally posted by WRXnifect
(when the clutch pedal is depressed the noise goes away)
It's your input shaft bearing -- with the clutch out the trans input shaft is spinning. Noise is not abnormal -- will be worse when cold because oil is thick and has pooled in the bottom of the case. These are big bearings, the top part will be "dry" on a cold start. Take a look at the exploded drawing of the trans in the parts section on subaruparts.com, it's the big bearing on the front of the trans.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:45 PM

I was thinking either that or whatever bushing/bearing is between the input and output shaft, I've heard plenty of bad bearings before, just this one sounds like a dry bushing, weird..it's not a normal "whirring/transmission" sound either. I looked at the exploded views (the few there are in the subaru information) and it looks like there is a caged needle bearing between the input and output shafts. I think either that one or the input bearing may be the cause....I'll let you know what the dealership says
Old 02-07-2005, 02:09 PM

It's fixed

So I took the car in to Maita, they got the noise sorted out (I know, it's been almost a year) They had to replace a lot of parts in the trans, I guess some have been superceeded with upgraded stuff. It was some sort of bearing problem. I also was having a problem with the car popping out of 1st gear on deceleration and the transmission was noisy decelerating in 2nd around 2000-2200 RPM. I have to say that I was nervous taking my car into the dealer (I have always done my own maintenance and repairs) but they took care of me, so I can't complain. All the noises are gone, no more popping out of gear either.