Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Aftermarket Clutch & Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 05:27 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by Sundance45
My OEM clutch is fine, however; I am toying with adding an aftermarket clutch and lightweight Flywheel.
I know the feeling when you get a few bucks up and get the itch to spend it.

If you're not experiencing any problems with the stock clutch setup, keep it until it begins to slip or fail. I personally don't think that the benefits of a faster-revving lightweight flywheel are worth the sacrifice in smooth engagement of the clutch from a stop. There's no real power gain, other than the weight savings. Think of all the other components in the drivetrain that are reciprocating weight - wheels, transmission parts, diffs, axles, brake rotors, etc. These aren't directly connected to the motor but have to be accelerated/decelerated just the same. At least consider not changing out the flywheel until you have to change the OEM clutch.

Still, your clutch will eventually wear out or fail so I'm curious myself as to what other folks are using and are happy with.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 03-27-2003, 10:05 AM

If you plan on staying NA, or even a mild turbo kit, you cannot beat the Exedy clutch and flwyheel setup. Billet chromoly clutch, weighs around 13 lbs, clutch is 27% stronger than stock, all in a very affordable and complete package. For $800 shipped (from us), cannot be beat. As for the heads and cams......having used them before, save yur money...nowhere near worth the price of admission/installation without some serious other mods. Turbo is the best bang for the buck way to go for power on an RS.

Adam