Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

98 Impreza question (concerning rear wheel bearing replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 05:17 PM

Car Info: 89 impreza/06 TDI Jetta
98 Impreza question

First I'll admit I don't have a manual for the car but I have been unable to find one at every local shop in the area.

A whirring sound has developed from the rear of the car, it changes with car speed. It remains the same when the car is rolling and shifted into neutral. The rear struts have been replace and I'm in the process of trying to swap out the rear wheel bearing.

If anyone has experienced a similar noise can you verify that it ( hopefully ) is the wheel bearing and not the rear end.

Do I need a special subaru part to get at the bearing. I'm at that point now but the gear puller I have will just push the axel shaft into the diff. ( Should this happen? is there a lock ring somewhere that may have broken? that would prevent the free movement of the axel shaft.

Yea I probably sould like an idiot but I've worked on german cars for ever and a wheelbering should be simple... I thought.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2006, 09:09 PM

Car Info: blue sti
If you lift the car go to the wheel that you think has the bad bearing and see if there is any play in it (a hub with a bad bearing will have play) if that is the case you have to pull the spindles and buy bearing for parts shop and bring your hub to a mahine shop (the hubs need to be pressed to open them ) that is the only option (well you could get spindels from a newer car that are transferable) a have 04 wrx spindels in the front and 02 forester in the rear but a press is the only way of opening the hubs to get at the bearing (by the way junk yard parts was cheaper for me)
93 impreza wagon
1.8 power
Old 01-07-2006, 09:12 PM

Car Info: blue sti
and there is only a legacy manual (besides fsm) but it all the same