Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

3rd gear doesn't work!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 04:32 AM

Car Info: 03 Supreme Wagon
3rd gear doesn't work!

all the other gears work except 3rd. i can shift into 3rd, but it just revs. there's a weird loud rattling noise. whenever i press on the clutch all the way, the noise goes away, but when i let the clutch go and accelerate, the noise gets louder. it sounds like something is loose. my drivetrain is completely stock. does anyone know whats wrong?
Old 07-04-2005, 08:51 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Sounds like your 3rd gear disintegrated. Most likely the teeth have been stripped off. Basically the gear is not engaging and that's why the engine just revs. The noise goes away when you put the clutch in because you've disengaged the tranny from the engine. What year is your WRX? I'd guess 02 or 03 as they're known to have tranny problems. I lost 3rd myself on my 02 WRX. The loud rattling noise is probably the pieces of 3rd gear being stirred up by the oil pickup and other gears. Don't drive on it and get it into the dealer ASAP (assuming you're still under warranty and not modified).
Old 07-04-2005, 10:18 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
how does it shift into 3rd? is there a notchy feel like the other gears? if not. could also be a destroyed 3rd gear synchro.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Egan
Sounds like your 3rd gear disintegrated. Most likely the teeth have been stripped off. Basically the gear is not engaging and that's why the engine just revs. The noise goes away when you put the clutch in because you've disengaged the tranny from the engine. What year is your WRX? I'd guess 02 or 03 as they're known to have tranny problems. I lost 3rd myself on my 02 WRX. The loud rattling noise is probably the pieces of 3rd gear being stirred up by the oil pickup and other gears. Don't drive on it and get it into the dealer ASAP (assuming you're still under warranty and not modified).

i have a 03. do you think i have to get a new transmission, or just a new gearset? what did you have to change to fix it?
Old 07-04-2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by houdni
how does it shift into 3rd? is there a notchy feel like the other gears? if not. could also be a destroyed 3rd gear synchro.
it shifts into 3rd with ease...
Old 07-04-2005, 04:34 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
sounds like the synchro is gone. however it is possible to also break the 3rd gear set. though youd have to shatter every mesh on 3rd gear. and if you only shattered one or two teeth, youd still be able to catch 3rd once in a while.

the gears are always meshed together 1st gear, 2nd, 3rd, etc. they are helical cut to reduce sound, but do not provided the greatest strength unlike spur/straight cut gears. you actually transfer power from input shaft to the synchro's which drive the gear set then through the output shaft. this would be the simpliest explination.

since you also said only 3rd. im assuming you can shift into 4th. which would rule out a shift fork. unless its bent where only 4th can be achieved and also possible.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:45 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by 1codeRED
i have a 03. do you think i have to get a new transmission, or just a new gearset? what did you have to change to fix it?
You can get the tranny repaired although the debris (whether it's bits of synchro or bits of gear teeth) rattling around inside may have caused damage to other gears.

I fixed mine by trading it in on an STi. The dealership repaired the car under warranty and then sold it on their used car lot. If your car has not been modified you should be able to get it repaired under warranty, provided you're still under 60,000 miles.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:57 PM

thanks guys for your insights. i'll schedule an appointment at the dealership to have it checked out, just hope it won't be anything worse from what u guys said it would be.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:21 PM

Car Info: My 2009 FIT for sale!!!!!!!!!!
does it sound like rocks rattling in a coffee can while you are in 3rd gear?? if you do its MOST likely that gear teeth(s) broken just like EGAN says....... i know from experience(i've seen the damage) its only had to two teeth left on the gear. i had to buy a new trans(i had install it myself). i would just buy a RA gearset or straight cut gears IF i the gears shattered. good luck to you man!

thanks guys for your insights. i'll schedule an appointment at the dealership to have it checked out, just hope it won't be anything worse from what u guys said it would be.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by ej20boost
does it sound like rocks rattling in a coffee can while you are in 3rd gear?? if you do its MOST likely that gear teeth(s) broken just like EGAN says....... i know from experience(i've seen the damage) its only had to two teeth left on the gear. i had to buy a new trans(i had install it myself). i would just buy a RA gearset or straight cut gears IF i the gears shattered. good luck to you man!
yea, it does sound like rocks rattling in a coffee can. how hard is it to install the transmission? maybe u could help me install it, and i'll buy a case of beer and a plate lunch or sumthing. im going down to subaru to have it checked out, and see what the problem is. where did u get your new tranny, and how much did u get it for?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:14 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx
i had the same problem as you 3rd gear broke. now i have sti ra gears. as for installing it yourself, its gonna be a pain in the a**. i recommend you get professional to install it. dont get it install by the dealership, they charge a lot. Find a local tuning shop or soemthing
Old 07-07-2005, 11:51 AM

i just came back from the dealership, and they said i need to get a new tranny, becuz if i would just buy a new gearset, i could risk breaking it again from all the metal shavings that remain in the tranny. so i was looking into getting an STI RA tranny. how much does that go for online? and where is a good place to buy one?

Originally Posted by lin_tp2
i had the same problem as you 3rd gear broke. now i have sti ra gears. as for installing it yourself, its gonna be a pain in the a**. i recommend you get professional to install it. dont get it install by the dealership, they charge a lot. Find a local tuning shop or soemthing

did you just buy a new gearset, or swapped it out with a whole new transmission?

Last edited by 1codeRED; 07-07-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
i bought a new gearset. gruppe-s have them but they sell really fast, so if you want one you should put your name on the list asap. by the way where do you live.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:48 PM

i live in hawaii.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:18 PM

Car Info: My 2009 FIT for sale!!!!!!!!!!
well its not hard..... its just time consuming. i got my new trans from seattle. i got it for about 3 G's. dude i am down for a install day and night. it may take a couple of days.... just give or take for like problems and stuff. if you go get the RA gearset i would have techs at VAKAMON(aka speedgear) do it. they have done a few of them so i trust them. but i didnt get RA gearset bcuz its f***ing $$$$ after i bought the trans. but when i do get the $$ i am going to VAKAMON. well if you going to buy a new trans let me know i like help you out(we need at least four people for this cuz its going to be on the ground)......... i did mines at my dealer. so i had a tranny jack and a lift and air tools. well i got the tools just let me know. i pm you my number. laters

yea, it does sound like rocks rattling in a coffee can. how hard is it to install the transmission? maybe u could help me install it, and i'll buy a case of beer and a plate lunch or sumthing. im going down to subaru to have it checked out, and see what the problem is. where did u get your new tranny, and how much did u get it for?