Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

2002 WRX squealing (when turning wheel left or right)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:23 AM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX
2002 WRX squealing (when turning wheel left or right)

Hey guys,

As the title states, my car is squealing. It happens whenever I turn the wheel, or when I first start the car. I was hoping it was just my belts (which shouldn't squeel since they were replaced just 5,000 miles ago) but would it be the power steering?

I noticed sometimes trying to steer while it squeals is hard and jerks a lot.

Another thing that "squeals" is my driver and passenger front windows. Whenever I roll them down or up there's this annoying squeal. Anybody know what's causing it and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 03-16-2008, 08:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
have you checked your power steering fluid?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:37 AM

It's not leaking at all. I just recently had a 60,000mile tune up about 5,000 miles ago. I really hope I don't need to replace the power steering lol.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:59 PM

Nobody can help me? ttt
Old 03-16-2008, 05:54 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
im having the same problem with my window. but i got my windows tinted recently, and haven't heard any problems. not sure if that helps you at all, but if you were interested in getting tints, that could be a "two birds one stone" task.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:26 PM

Car Info: 99 impreza 2.5rs
you need new ps belt

and the skraping noise from the window is the felt skrapers in the door full of dirt . ive tried to clean them but found the best results with new ones. 2 normal problems
Old 03-16-2008, 09:36 PM

Sounds like your belt are loose. Your belt streched a little bit as it broke in. The tech probably didn't tighten them down enough.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shazam321
Sounds like your belt are loose. Your belt streched a little bit as it broke in. The tech probably didn't tighten them down enough.
ALright, I noticed that the belt area has a lot of dark dirt on it too, And I keep my engine area very clean and tidy so I will tighten the belts sometime this weekend.

As for the windows, where can I find the felt that will eliminate that annoying squeal? I noticed that there's a line down the middle on both sides that looks like the guide for the window as well.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by tkmotorhead
you need new ps belt

and the skraping noise from the window is the felt skrapers in the door full of dirt . ive tried to clean them but found the best results with new ones. 2 normal problems

I don't think I need a new PS belt because I had all of the belts replaced at the time of the tuneup as well as a new clutch and better spark plugs and all that good stuff.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:00 PM

that dark dirt might be from the acual belt from it slipping, so you might want to replace it or buy an extra one and throw it in your trunk just incase that belt on there breaks. Also check your pullies for wear. That might also cause the sound.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
im having the same problem with my window. but i got my windows tinted recently, and haven't heard any problems. not sure if that helps you at all, but if you were interested in getting tints, that could be a "two birds one stone" task.
My windows are already tinted, I do believe my front windows aren't though but oh well.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:43 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally Posted by nkghost
As the title states, my car is squealing. It happens whenever I turn the wheel, or when I first start the car. I was hoping it was just my belts (which shouldn't squeel since they were replaced just 5,000 miles ago) but would it be the power steering?

I noticed sometimes trying to steer while it squeals is hard and jerks a lot.
New belts may need re-tensioning after some miles are driven. My a/c drive belt was replaced during scheduled maintenance but began squealing after a few hundred miles. Pushing on the belt by hand seemed to indicate possible slack. Simply re-tensioning the belt solved the problem.
Originally Posted by nkghost
Another thing that "squeals" is my driver and passenger front windows. Whenever I roll them down or up there's this annoying squeal. Anybody know what's causing it and how to fix it?
Spray a small amount of silicone lube on both sides of the glass near the door edge. Roll the windows up and down several times to work the silicone lube over anything that contacts the glass inside of the door. Wipe off excess so it won't attract dirt.

Some folks claim that silicone lube causes deterioration of rubber or plastic but I haven't noticed this if a small amount is used. My front windows used to squeal badly but no longer.