Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

1st --> 2nd gear shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 10:51 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Originally Posted by amtrac24
Hey guys,

Just a quick question. Even when trying to shift from 1st to 2nd at higher rpms i still have to wait a half second to let the rpms come down otherwise the car will lurch ahead. I was just curious on what everyone else did to make the shift smooth and fast when shifting above 3.5 k RPMS. (My car is stock with an STI Short Shifter). Thanks for your help Guys
I would hazzard a gues that better oil would do you wonders for shift times, seond opinions anyone?

Couple questions too. How many miles on the car? Have you tried rev matching?
Old 08-17-2004, 12:33 PM

Car Info: STI and Outback Sport
I think waiting is the only way to make it smooth. The revs drop about 2000 rpm when you shift from 1st to second every other gear is about 1000. So it feels odd.

I put in the diff bushings but that was more to prevent the bang when shifting at redline.

A quart of GM synchromesh or replace it all with Neo Synthetic may help a little.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:41 AM

Car Info: 03 PSM WRX stg 2
Not to sound like a jerk or expert here, but i think the issue not only has to do with the tranny but the speed at which the engine revs up/down. When shifting at high rpms, I too have to wait for the rpms to drop to the correct level before shifting and releasing the clutch. Doing otherwise would of course result in clutch burn and unsmooth shifts. I believe the solution here would be to get a lightened flywheel and perhaps lightweight pistons, conrods, crankshaft. I'd suggest the former which doesn't require tearing apart the engine.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:56 AM

Car Info: STI and Outback Sport
Originally Posted by lllRedline
Not to sound like a jerk or expert here, but i think the issue not only has to do with the tranny but the speed at which the engine revs up/down. When shifting at high rpms, I too have to wait for the rpms to drop to the correct level before shifting and releasing the clutch. Doing otherwise would of course result in clutch burn and unsmooth shifts. I believe the solution here would be to get a lightened flywheel and perhaps lightweight pistons, conrods, crankshaft. I'd suggest the former which doesn't require tearing apart the engine.

Good Idea
A light weight pulley might be the easiest way to start

Later,
John
Old 08-18-2004, 08:58 AM

Car Info: Red 04 WRX Wagon
yeah it is touchy

Hey guys,

Just a quick question. Even when trying to shift from 1st to 2nd at higher rpms i still have to wait a half second to let the rpms come down otherwise the car will lurch ahead. I was just curious on what everyone else did to make the shift smooth and fast when shifting above 3.5 k RPMS. (My car is stock with an STI Short Shifter). Thanks for your help Guys
When you shift gears and let out the clutch try to gently and slowly lift your left foot for the first inch or so. Then from there smothly and swiftly let the clutch up.

It is like I can feel when the gears engage when I am letting the clutch up. When I feel the gears bite that is when I start to lift the clutch up faster.

Sometimes I still feel the lurch if I am really romping on it and screw up my timing, or if I am not paying attention it can still happen.

Does anyone else experience what I do with the standard transmission?
Old 08-29-2004, 09:37 AM
VIP Member

Location: Are you too one of the few still living the past? Well I can change that! With a simple wicket. Yes, my friend, a wicket. PM for details.
Car Info: No car right now....sob.
Hey guys,

Just shift out of first in lower RPMs.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:44 PM

Car Info: a car with 4 wheels
Lightbulb

Hey guys,

if you live near by, I will show you... it actually pretty good " in fremont, CA"

this is my way: I use to look at the gas padel in 10 levels ( how deep you press), so... try to practice it with you own time... it really helpful. anyway, let get back to the question.

from 1st ~~> 2nd, the first action of cause you have to kick the clutch all the way in with your left foot, and for most of the people will do is completely let go the gas padel.... no... wrong.

If you want a smooth ride for your happy passager , in the shifting actions ... you land your feet on the gas padel on level 1-1.5 (remember what I said earlier, the 10 levels for the gas padal). Then shift to second, and when you let the clutch go about 80%, then slowly press the gas padel at the same time...well... also let the clutch go all the way....you can do it slowly at the beginning for practice, after you get use to it, and good at it...this shifting action will get faster and smoother...also,you will notice your passager didnt throw up in the back of your car.... j/k

practice are always ... try to put your passager in the 1st place, um... you know...not to make them getting sick and hate sitting in your car...

oh... one more great practice for you, try to get your car moving without using the gas padel....AT ALL, try to find what I call "shift point." you will found what I'm talking about when you get on the car....

so after you master this...it don't matter what RPM you shifting at, it will still be smooth...(except when you are racing, and messing aroung on the road, then that I can't help it.)

good luck
Alan

Last edited by Mine'sRacingGDB; 09-05-2004 at 12:52 PM.