Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

09 5MT gearset in a 04 gear box?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 PM

Car Info: EQ tuned WRX (RIP)
09 5MT gearset in a 04 gear box?

can anybody tell me about this frankensteinish sounding swap? is there any success stories? what kind of power could you run with this set up if it can be done? i searched but came up with nothing relevant. somebody just told me about it today but i'm skeptical... are the 09 gears stronger than RA gears? i'm just trying to get the community's opinion here.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:17 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
We kinda pioneered this swap...went through a few trannies to get it right.
So far no one has broken one of our transmissions.

The 2009-> gear set IS NOT "plug-n-play"; slight modifications are necessary to get it to work.

Benefits include: stronger gear set than stock, better ratio spread, etc.

Originally Posted by street carp
can anybody tell me about this frankensteinish sounding swap? is there any success stories? what kind of power could you run with this set up if it can be done? i searched but came up with nothing relevant. somebody just told me about it today but i'm skeptical... are the 09 gears stronger than RA gears? i'm just trying to get the community's opinion here.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:34 PM

lol hey paul i was literally just at you're shop yesterday and talked to you about this swap. i pulled up right when you were closing. i posted this up as soon as i got home to see what other opinions and options i could get. not that i didnt take your advice into consideration, but upon some research i found out that the 09 wrx gears are the same as the LGT gears. i'm gonna need something more reliable with my power levels.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:47 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by street carp
lol hey paul i was literally just at you're shop yesterday and talked to you about this swap. i pulled up right when you were closing. i posted this up as soon as i got home to see what other opinions and options i could get. not that i didnt take your advice into consideration, but upon some research i found out that the 09 wrx gears are the same as the LGT gears. i'm gonna need something more reliable with my power levels.
No they are not the same.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:46 PM

really? how many of these swaps have you done? how much abuse do the people that have this swap put these through? i know you said no ones broke one of these yet but obviously they're not gonna break it just daily driving everywhere...