Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

05 STi Clutch....Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 PM

Car Info: 05' STi Aspen White
05 STi Clutch....Help!

Unfortunately my clutch is going and needs to be replaced at 36k. I am looking for your opinions on which clutch to choose to replace mine with. Yes, I used the "search" option and the "FAQ", but I just want individualized advise based upon my specific situation.

I have an 05 STi that I use as my daily driver. I have a full TBE, K&N Typhoon short ram intake and Cobb Accessport pro-tuned, dyno-ed at 295 ft. lbs torque.

I never track the car and do not street race that often, but I want upgraded performance, longevity and drivability, as my car is my daily driver. I have been going back and forth between the Exedy Stage 1 or the ACT HD Street Disc Clutch. I have heard mixed reviews on each. Any other opinions/suggestions/reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 06:13 PM

Car Info: 05' STi Aspen White
Anyone?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:00 AM

Car Info: WRX STi 2005
Thinking too

Whats' up? I hoped to discuss the very same topic as you. So I checked out you post and was disappointed to find no info. That being said, I've been researching the same options as you. My problem isn't as immediate as yours but i feel your pain. I've been looking at some clutches and found a lot of sites with excellent info. I have a 05 STi with a few mods and around when I purchased the car (22K on the od) I noticed a burning smell when I got on the throttle hard. I immediately took it to the dealer who did a few adjustment and all was good with life. I'm in the military so i don't get a lot of time to play with my setup so I lived with what was going on until now (36K on the od). Well like I said before I've done quite a bit of research and found that the stock STi clutch is an organic clutch so it atually comes back to it gripping performance because of this. a lot of different clutch materials require breakin or are just to harsh on the drive train so organic clutches are suppose to be best for minimal increases in power. Maybe up to 360 hp at the wheel. If you're trying to get better than that then you need to go with a harder surface material. I get more info to you later but for now I've got to go. Looking forward to seeing your response.

Dahmin8
Old 07-20-2008, 11:43 AM

Car Info: WRX
i have a act 6 puck unsprung on my 05 sti. The pedal pressure is WAY increased, hate the thing in traffic. The act street disc with HD pressure plate engages smoother then the puck clutch but pedal pressure is same as the 6 puck. My tuner ED@EQTUNING suggested a RPS clutch, he said it can handle a bundle of tq and the pedal pressure is like stock. You can contact LIC about the RPS clutch
Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Ive done some research as well (for when the time comes ) and heard good things about the ACT street and RPS.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:27 PM

Car Info: WRX STi 2005
Thinking too part 2

See you haven't made it back yet. I'll just continue on. I've heard some very good things about ACT and RPS clutches. As a matter of fact the RPS website has loads of info about how to decide what clutch to buy. Their Max Series clutches are the best lower level street clutch they offer.

I was told to try a full faced sprung clutch for the least amount of drive line trouble. But a mechanic friend of mind recommended the ACT clutch system. He says without a doubt they are one of the strongest clutches for minimal modification builds (starting at 400 tq). Being practical will probably be best for me. Originally when I started this search for a decent clutch I wanted a multiplate system like the ones that exedy makes. I got a lot of negative feedback about them but this was only because my horse power setup would be over worked by such a system.

I think twin plates start out at 700 tq and in the morning they clatter alot until their warmed up. Having no experience other than what I read I would love to have a car that makes those kind of numbers. Also consider the fact that the new EVO X MR comes with twin plated clutch and a sequential shifter. You gotta hate it when someone gives the competition one up on you when the next generation hits the road.

Dahmin8