Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

'02 wrx clutch started slipping and then back to normal??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 PM

Car Info: 328i
'02 wrx clutch started slipping and then back to normal??

Hi guys,

I have a '02 wrx wagon with 72k miles, stock everything. The car is tracked once in a while, and driven hard in general, but I consciously try to be nice to the drivetrain during hard driving (ie rev match smoothly, wait till clutch is fully engaged before full throttle, no jerking during shifting)

A few days ago, I burnt the clutch horribly going up a super steep hill in SF with a full loaded car. I was flooring it in first gear with the clutch fully engaged after blipping it to 2000rpm, and the car wasn't moving. I pulled up the hand brake, revved the motor to 3000rpm, floored it and then launched it with much clutch slip (I didn't want to risk shockloading the transmission, so I sacrificed the clutch). TONS of burnt clutch smell for next few minutes after that.

After the incident, I started to experience consistent clutch slip when fully engaged when used full throttle at 3000rpm in 5th gear. I drove the car gently for a few hundred miles, and after that, the clutch is no longer slipping.

What does this mean? Did I just glaze the clutch badly, and normal driving allowed the clutch to return to normal?

What can I do (other than checking for slipping over 3000rpm in 5th gear) that I can use to diagnose the condition of my clutch?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:22 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
i would get a new one, two weeks ago my clutch on my 03 was doin the same thing in fifth gear, i would hit the gas and the clutch woud slip......today my car is parked becasue the clutch is gone and not driveable really!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 328i
did your clutch stop slipping for a while too or did the slip just keep getting worse?