Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

STI engine with Stock 4eat RS tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 10:13 PM

STI engine with Stock 4eat RS tranny

Will a STI motor work with a stock 4eat RS tranny ( 00RS) ???

I know it will bolt up but would it work?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:57 AM

Car Info: 05' OBP/Gold STi
I don't have any experience, but I have seen people say that 250whp is going to destroy that tranny over time. And that hp figure is on the 2.0 liter WRX, the torque is what stresses the trannys and the STi will make a lot of torque compared to the 2 liter.

I wouldn't recommend it from all the info I have seen on the boards.

Good luck if you try it.

Basically don't half *** a projecat like this, it is going to end up costing more money in the long run.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:20 PM

If i did do it it would only be for kicks to say the truth, i plan on swapping and if i do ill be swapping a 5spd WRX tranny in as well. So i figure id have some fun with the 4eat.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 PM

Car Info: 05' OBP/Gold STi
Then get your kicks! Hopefully you've got a nice road side assistance towing plan :P
Old 07-26-2005, 10:06 PM

Car Info: lowered blk04 with no motor
or upgrade ur auto tranny. stock wrx 5speed isnt that great
Old 07-30-2005, 12:15 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by b00fer
If i did do it it would only be for kicks to say the truth, i plan on swapping and if i do ill be swapping a 5spd WRX tranny in as well. So i figure id have some fun with the 4eat.
my turn: from MY experience, you can swap in the STi motor to your 4EAT, and be fine. at the most, you may have to upgrade your torque convertor ( possibility ) but you should be fine. i say this as i was contemplating a swap just like this a while back, and the info i got says that the auto tranny is built stouter than the 5sp. theres no clutch to change, no linkage to change, just bolt on, change the ECU ( Forester XT or Legacy GT ) and youre done. and, if you really wanna keep it auto ( yeah, right ) theres Knight Transmissions, out of the Northwest. they used their built up sequential shifting auto trannies in RallyCross and ProRally. so if it could hold up in that arena, it'll hold up to an STi. plus, they were based on the 4EAT, so.......

in short, do it.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:23 PM

Car Info: subaru legacy, 01 4eat
Originally Posted by rau
my turn: from MY experience, you can swap in the STi motor to your 4EAT, and be fine. at the most, you may have to upgrade your torque convertor ( possibility ) but you should be fine. i say this as i was contemplating a swap just like this a while back, and the info i got says that the auto tranny is built stouter than the 5sp. theres no clutch to change, no linkage to change, just bolt on, change the ECU ( Forester XT or Legacy GT ) and youre done. and, if you really wanna keep it auto ( yeah, right ) theres Knight Transmissions, out of the Northwest. they used their built up sequential shifting auto trannies in RallyCross and ProRally. so if it could hold up in that arena, it'll hold up to an STi. plus, they were based on the 4EAT, so.......

in short, do it.
Contemplating A swap, from a 2.5NA to the 2.2 or 2.5T. So the engine will bolt up to the 4eat and all I would need is a newer ECU?

bump
Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 AM

Car Info: subaru legacy, 01 4eat
So I've done the research, the STI engine WILL bolt up to the 4eat, which years you ask? No idea , I'm going to aim for an engine between the years of 02-05.
For control of the 4eat you'd use your old ECU hooked up to the speed sensor(s) and transmission so it would still have its standard shift points and work off engine\vehicle speed.

It would be a cluster**** of a wireing job but its doable, the 4eat is supposedly safe up to around 400whp.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I have heard the same this the 4eat will hold up to 400 hp no prob and is stronger than the 5sp. Im pretty sure any of the local shops can tell you how to do eett.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:31 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Originally Posted by Shayhan27
I have heard the same this the 4eat will hold up to 400 hp no prob and is stronger than the 5sp. Im pretty sure any of the local shops can tell you how to do eett.
That 4eat will blow faster than a homeless can get a job! No way a stock 4eat will hold 400whp let alone hold over 300WHP. Unless you have a built 4eat that's different. Unless you can post proof, I highly doubt it.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Originally Posted by strider327
That 4eat will blow faster than a homeless can get a job! No way a stock 4eat will hold 400whp let alone hold over 300WHP. Unless you have a built 4eat that's different. Unless you can post proof, I highly doubt it.

I like the above analogy. "will blow faster than a homeless person can get a job" Well as a glass half empty kinda guy I would venture to say it would take a homeless person quite awhile to get a job so THANK YOU for agreeeing with me.

I havnt finished my first red bull yet so This post didnt touch me in my tickly spot.

Can you prove the contrary I.E. know more than 2 people who have blown up 4EAT's

I am going off from what I have heard from people who know people who know about this stuff.

You may need an upgraded stall converter but the 4eat "can hold up to 400 AWHP.....It can very safely run 300 AWHP.....From what I have heard from someone I respect.

Have I done it myself.....Hell no!!!!!! so you do make a good point maybe I should have kept my mouth shut But then how would I ever level up on I-club....
Old 09-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Originally Posted by Shayhan27
I like the above analogy. "will blow faster than a homeless person can get a job" Well as a glass half empty kinda guy I would venture to say it would take a homeless person quite awhile to get a job so THANK YOU for agreeeing with me.

I havnt finished my first red bull yet so This post didnt touch me in my tickly spot.

Can you prove the contrary I.E. know more than 2 people who have blown up 4EAT's

I am going off from what I have heard from people who know people who know about this stuff.

You may need an upgraded stall converter but the 4eat "can hold up to 400 AWHP.....It can very safely run 300 AWHP.....From what I have heard from someone I respect.

Have I done it myself.....Hell no!!!!!! so you do make a good point maybe I should have kept my mouth shut But then how would I ever level up on I-club....
As far as I know there have only been 3 successful 4eat wrx's that have been able to push crazy loads of power. However those are not stock 4eats. They are all built.

1. P&L Motorsports Blue Time Attack WRX with a Fully built IPT Transmission.

P&L Motorsports GT30r powered time attack car - YouTube

2. Whitelegacyguy pushing a fully built Rigoli Transmission.

(Breaking Stock Transmission)
Transmission Fail :-( - YouTube

(Built Transmission)
93 Subaru Legacy SS 4eat 20Psi Launch - YouTube

3. Another Guy shown here. Read the comments.

99 Subaru impreza RS Brake Boost launch 4EAT - YouTube

So I would yes you can run a stock tranny but not for long. I don't think you will disagree with me here. Just facts are facts, you cannot continue to abuse a stock tranny or engine without proper upgrades.