Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

A Step In the Right Direction

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:19 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
A Step In the Right Direction

I have been a WRX owner for a feww years. I bought my car back in July of 2003 as a brand new 2004 model. I have done minor mods up until now ( Apex'i AVC-R, STI Wing, PIAA lights, Denso plugs, Tint, ACT Streetlite flywheel and a small clutch upgrade.) As most of us come to find out quality aftermarket products cost a bit of money. I was going to save for a turbo back exhaust next but then something happened. My engine locked up at a light on the way to work one morning.
There was about 1.5q's of oil in then entire engine. I had my oil changed 2000 miles before at a certified tire shop around my area. There was some oil that got onto the block and through the turbo but not enough to make up the difference. I never saw smoke out the exhaust nor any oil on my garage floor or where the car locked up. So this is a mystery in itself.
But now for the interesting news. I bought an EJ25 to replace it and some other mods. I wan't a reliable streetcar so I am not going with a large turbo for now. The other things bought are...

Wiseco forged pistons
STI Pink injectors
Walbro pump
VF 39 (with 18,000 miles)
Apex'i SAFC II
PLX Wideband system
New STI belt
New Water and oil pump
DC Sports Up-pipe
APR Head Studs
Auto Meter Side Mount Guage Pod
New Oil Catch Can
HKS SS BOV
Colder Denso Iridium plugs

I later plan on getting a FMIC, better clutch, turbo back exhuast, cams, and then start on the suspension. If anyone wants to reply with some sugestions on those items or if you would go with different mods let me know.

Justin
Old 10-25-2005, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 08 FS/07 FXT/93 GC8 blue/black/black
sell the avcr and sfc and get a real tune

you can't control timing with the afc and the size of adjustments that you are going to have to make by adding pinks your timing peramiters will be waaay off

get an ecutek reflash or if you want to tune it yourself get a utec
Old 10-25-2005, 07:56 PM

The timing should be ok up to 16 psi. I will be running a low 12-14 psi.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:11 AM

no !!!! it isn't

timing in a WRX ecu is not static there are at least 4 maps that dictate advance as well as learning algorithms

plus when you tell the car that it is getting less air (how you compensate for bigger injectors w/ safc) your are moving to the left on the maps .. thus higher advance numbers - dangerously high advance numbers .. the stock settings are not optimal as it is ..

i guarantee that the 1k spent on the tune will net you at least 40-50 whp 30+MPG and won't blow up like your above mentioned setup will

REAL EM is the first mod you should do with a subaru .. a stage 0 reflash would have given you more power than the avcr and not blown up ..
Old 10-26-2005, 08:17 AM

Well For one there is not a proper dyno where I live and I am not ordering a reflash without it. Every car is different and I have not only heard but have seen problems with a general ordered reflash. I also do not want the extra 50 hp because I am running a 10% upgraded clutch which I am not going to replace at the moment. Is there a seperate ignition system that I can get, like a piggyback from MSD or the like? I do not want to get rid of my avc-r and safc nor do I wan't a UTEC. Thanks for the help

Justin
Old 10-26-2005, 01:33 PM

apexi makes (or made ?) an ITC .. a timing controller

if your set on using bad piggy backs (genuinely a bad idea) look at the perfect power, exed or emanage they are not nearly as powerful as a utec but will do both fuel and timing

the utec works because it has its own injector and igniter divers .. vs relying on modifying the input signals like the other piggy backs

the big proublem is that a misconfigured piggyback will throw the car into limp mode -with a 4k rev limit piggy backs were fine with odb-1 cars but the wrx ecu is just to complex to work with
another solution is to can the afc (and avcr) and get cobb street tuner giving you access to set the paramaters in the ECU

clutch isn't an issue with a vf39

you also 100% need a wideband to tune the above setup the stock o2 sensor won't read below 13.2 to 1
Old 10-26-2005, 10:20 PM

I know there is a lot more to tune with the turbo XS and its $$$. I am not willing to learn that much. Im pretty set on my current piggyback, which by the way are not "bad" at all. Apex'i makes some of the best products on the market and most people will tell you that their quality in both use and build are wonderful. I just got my car back today and it runs perfect. The timing is dead on.
There is one problem however with the 04 computers. There seems to be a delay to lean out the engine after 0 PSI is achieved. The delay is about 3-5 seconds. We saw this using a wideband. I was told that the 02-03's do not have this delay. I am sure it will be ok for now (its running 14.5's during that delay when it should be in the 13's and dropping fast on the wideband) because I am only running 7 psi until the block gets worn in and until we can fix this problem. Other then that it drives better then when I fist got the car. Very smooth. I love the TQ in the 2.5's. What a difference.

I did get a PLX wideband installed. I don't think that clutch will last though. Its only 10% over the stock WRX and I am not only running an engine with a lot more TQ but an uppipe and 9.1:1 compression. With the added boost it will soon go.