Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

I've searched, but I need answers...I need JDM engine knowledge here!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 01:02 PM

Car Info: Many, many Honda's
I've searched, but I need answers...I need JDM engine knowledge here!!

Here's the deal:

I have been importing engines and transmissions from the land across the water since 1998. My business has always been primarily Honda, but three years or so ago, I added DSM to the list. As a result, my crates from Japan would always contain various Honda plants with the occasional 4G63.

Well, this past Monday my new crate arrived with three unfamiliar looking specimens. I unloaded the shipment, logged everything, then got to what I thought could be anything from a Porsche to a Lycoming from a Cessna, to a Subaru. My money was on the Subaru, but either way I am not supposed to get any horizontal engines.

So I bust these things out and I have what appears to be three 2.0 liter turbo engines made sometime before 95. I have to assume these are the WRX engines/trannies and with little info I began searching and calling everyone in the know on some Scooby action.

Well, thus far I haven't found anything but confusion. I have yet to identify on the internet a WRX engine from anything prior to 96 from Japan. I also see that Subaru decided to call EVERYTHING a freakin EJ20!

So quickly I am wondering, how much did I pay for these things?? I run and grab my billing info and see I paid 434.00 for each motor/tranny combo. These things have full wiring harnesses, trannies, axles, ecu's, intercoolers.....everything. So I am thinking, these have to be worth something more than 450 bucks. I just need the right info.

From what I gather these are old WRX swaps which have a hp output of somewhere around 240+ . All of a sudden I am thinking I might have to build me a Subaru....I just need to know what these things are about.

Someone help a brother out.

EDIT: My continued searching has led me to what has been referred to as the "old school" EJ20.....the EJ20G. Apparently this is closed deck with some beefy internals. These are supposedly cheap also yet quite capable. Seems to me it's an ideal swap into an old Subaru Impreza AWD from like 93 or 94. All this seem correct?

Last edited by RC000E; 11-22-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:29 PM

Everything you have written makes sense. Pictures would/can confirm or deny your suspicions.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
^^^

Ill second that. Sounds like the only thing you might need to do a swap would be the turbo crossmember. If you can, post pics of the engines and serial numbers. Imprezer can probably figure out exactly what engines you got by the serial numbers.

Also, if you do the swap, it wouldnt have to be into a 93-94, it could be all the way up to a 2001 Impreza RS if you like...but then wiring comes into play. If it is something you would really like to do, talk to Adam at LIC Motorsports, they are a vendor here on I-Club. He did a conversion for me, a JDM Ver. 7 STi 2.0L and six speed, into my 2000 RS coupe. The tricky thing is making sure you have all the wiring.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:49 AM

Car Info: 1995 subaru impreza L
for jdm subaru info on vin, engine, and trany codes go to
http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/wrx.html