Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

EJ20/25(carb'd) into 1989 Legacy DL FWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 12:14 AM
VIP Member

yeah definately buy the rs that rather than uncarb a carbed legacy
Old 02-18-2024, 03:07 PM

Car Info: 1973 Opel gt
ea81 2 engine free I want to turbo increase power

Hi I'm getting 2 engines free and thinking of dropping it into my Opel gt. I want to push up the power and make it a high reving engine with a turbo. I've read that they tend to crack but if I lower the compression by honing the cams and porting it I'm hoping it will give me a compression that is lower so I can use a turbo to get more out of the engine without breaking it.

I'm going to change to bigger exhaust and intake like I've read. Better fuel pump and ignition. Better carbs maybe cfi? I'm curious if the heads can be bored to make bigger without compromising the engine even further.

What's the most I can expect to get out of one of these ea81 engines? I've been looking at motorcycle engines because they have better parts built into them so don't have to open them up to replace pistons and such like on car engines.

Is this worth it or should I pass and buy a VW 1.8t a Honda rsx or 1.5t and then there are newer small Subaru engines. The Honda flat 6 because it uses a 6 electronic throttle carbs with a controller that is as close to a efi as one could get with carbs. Lots of v4 motorcycle engines that can easily make 300+ with stock engine with turbo added.

I have to keep the engine I choose small because the engine bay is very small. Adding turbo means the engine must be even smaller. If I could find a 2.0 v8 from a fiat would be a dream but if I had that kinda money I could pay someone to join 2 v4's together or just look at a Hayabusa 4 or v8 2.7 out there.

They are all dreams. I am not going racing. I want lots of power in acceleration so torque is king and ho while great for high reving to make torque through low gears, isn't most likely because every cio would be pulling me over for reving up the engine.

Thanks for any advise. I'm not a gear head girl so these are fantasies from reading without having the skills or seeing it in person to know exactly what I'm talking about.

Last edited by shiver22; 02-18-2024 at 03:21 PM.