Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

EJ 22 in a 92 Civic Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 01:48 PM

Car Info: Tacoma
Thumbs up EJ 22 in a 92 Civic Hatch

I know a lot of you already think this is a bunch of crap. but I am going to do it. I just ran across a bunch of free subaru motors that are in great shape. I have been thinkin about this for a few years now and it is very feisable I think. Basically what I want to do is make a AWD Subaru Powered Honda Civic Hatchback. All that will be left of the Honda is the body. I dont have a thing for hondas. Actually I dislike them very much which is part of my reason for doing this. My idea and if you can think of what I am missing or have suggestions, is to mount the engine as far forward as I can. I have a big CNC so I can make the engine mounts. Then where I need room I will just cut out space for the transmission in the firewall and underneath the car to include making a tunnel in the floor for the driveshaft. This car will have no interior and I am not picky on how it looks. I will cut out the rear floor and extend my roll cage down to pick up the rear diff. As far as getting power out to the wheels I have a simple (i think) solution for that too. I will weld two quarter inch plates (one on top and one on bottom) to the top of the strut towers. I will completely get rid of the Honda suspension and use subaru struts. I can then just cut out where I need for the new struts to go in. By doing this I will be able to use stock subaru axels. I am not worried about width. If they are too wide I will just make it a wide body. As far as the length of the drive shaft I can just cut and weld that. Like I said I have the engine and trans. I am picking up the car next week. This is not just some crazy Idea. I am really going to do this. If any one has coments or suggestions please feel free.

To see my collection of stuff I have to work with go to www.pilotsagainstgravity.com There you can see all of the subaru stuff I got my hands on.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:59 PM

Car Info: GDA
that's a lot of fabrication you'll have to do...i don't want to rain on your parade, but it sounds like an insurmountable task. the EH engine bay is tiny! also, roll cage or not, the level of customization (suspension, using the interior cabin, etc) you're proposing does not sound safe at all. i wouldn't want to be in the car in the event of an accident.

if you choose to do a blog/journal, i'll check it...i'm interested to see how this frankenstein will turn out.

Last edited by doughboy; 09-01-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:44 PM

I will start the journal in about two weeks. I have to go to LA but as soon as I get back I am going to start fitting the motor. The journal will probably start out on my current website www.pilotsagainstgravity.com but I will probably build another page later. I have a rally car I am just finnishing up that I would like to get on the web also. Thanks for your interest and check out the site in a few weeks to see the bigining of this transformation.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:46 PM

I will admit. Even I am sceptical. But I think it will be fun to try. I can just picture it now. A 300 horse AWD civic.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:39 PM

Car Info: lowered blk04 with no motor
iv seen a awd civic hb powered by a evo motor. good luck
Old 09-02-2005, 01:26 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
If you have success, you will have one of the coolest cars...ghetto fabulous japanese american-custom 22b...hahahaha
Old 09-02-2005, 08:48 AM

Well, I ran into my first setback last night. I started to pull my motor apart. When I pulled the first head it looked great. Just like the guy that gave it to me said. Never been run. But when I pulled the second head I was very dissapointed. The number 1 hole was full of rust and crap. When I pulled the pistons out you could see where the rings had been smashed. O well. I guess I will just move onto the next engine. I was just hoping that this motor was going to work. This was the only motor that I was givin that actually had the heads on it. Fortunatly I know the condition of the other motors. At least the heads are still in good shape. I will just move them to the next block tonight. I will try to get pictures up today of this poor motor.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:59 AM

Forgot to mention that I did run accross some good stuff yesterday also. The one good thing I found was a dry sump oil pan for the subaru's. This will allow me to mount the motor lower in the car. The whole ban is only about 2 inches thick.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:21 PM

Started to build on motor number two today. Pictures are available on www.pilotsagainstgravity.com I dont know what happen to a couple of the pictures but I will get them posted tommarow. Currently the bottom end is done. the heads are on and the dry sump is on. I will add more pictures as I get them.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:07 AM

Car Info: wrx
how many engine parts do you have any jdm ej20g stuff? you wanna get rid of anything I'm in renton
Old 10-05-2005, 08:35 PM

Location: just moved to the san juan islands in northwest washington
Car Info: own a 1988 dl rally wagon
Cool 1.8 swap

I think that would be sick to have an awd civi...a lot of work yes but you would have the advantage of awd instead of the rear end slipping out around corners like civi's are known for.you said you have a couple of engines?i own an 88 dl wagon and either want to rebuild or find a used 1.8L to throw in it.i also had the idea of putting an EJ20 or EJ22 motor in there.would you know if the motor would bolt up to the trans i have now or any info on what i would have to do to complete the swap.i want this wagon to roar.you can email me at plainlabel@hotmail.com if anyone has any info for me.thanks