Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

Converting from AWD to FWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:31 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza
Converting from AWD to FWD

Back in the late '80s I build what I personally called my "formula Subaru" in which I took the 1.8L motor and transmission, axles, struts, etc, and placed them behind the drivers seat for a mid-engined autocross car (with uprights, un-equal length arms, etc. This worked fine with a 2WD drivetrain, but I am in the process of building another one with the current generation of 2.5L drivetrains, and they are now AWD. My question:

The output of the AWD (specifically the rear drive half of it) has some kind of differential that splits the torque between front and rear axles. If the rear axle load or traction is completely removed (e.g. letting the output shaft of the AWD rear axle spin without any load or traction), will this affect the torque share or application of torque to the front wheel portion of this transmission.

In other words, will the AWD work correctly if used as a FWD only? If not, what must be modified to ensure the front axles from the transaxle are provided full torque?

I tried to find this in the search, but nearly all related to converting a 2WD to AWD, but I want to do the opposite. The very few strings that really applied to my situation did not provide an answer as I do want to use the Subaru transaxle, and not an aftermarket one.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:58 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Haha beat ya to it!

https://www.i-club.com/forums/conversions-transplants-swaps-107/awd-fwd-conversion-wrx-126546/
Old 03-03-2006, 07:10 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza Wagon... 1.8 Litres of fury!
Why not just use a FWD tranny? The bell housings are the same, and I think the axles are too... do you want the other gear ratios?

Welding the center diff might be an option. Also, do you have a website about these Formula Subaru's you're building?

Thanks
-Matt
Old 03-06-2006, 05:54 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza
All of the current donor cars I've looked at are AWD. The much older donor cars have FWD set-ups, but I don't think the transmission will take a lot of abuse on those older set-ups. I can fabricate something to cover the RWD output shaft, but will removing all load from that ouput shaft have any effect on the normal FWD torque or differential action?

Last edited by blueovalz; 03-06-2006 at 10:55 AM.