Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

Conversion FAQ's- LIC Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Conversion FAQ's- LIC Motorsports

I get a lot of emails from a lot of I-Cluber's, I just added this to our Conversion section.

Conversion FAQ's

-Noah
Old 05-13-2005, 04:31 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS
How come you guys charge so much more than Garage Tuning or Aerosim? I'd love to be able to take my car to a closer place like you guys, but when I can get a full drivetrain plus dashboard in for $2,000 LESS than just a motor from you, its hard to justify.

JC
Old 05-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AWD OWNZ U
How come you guys charge so much more than Garage Tuning or Aerosim? I'd love to be able to take my car to a closer place like you guys, but when I can get a full drivetrain plus dashboard in for $2,000 LESS than just a motor from you, its hard to justify.

JC
First off.....

We are the first company (adam did the first one and then went into partnership w/ I-Speed) to do conversions and the other's are undercutting us. Some reasons may be, they are possibly cheaper than us because of overhead, cheaper parts, also our shop is in one of the most expensive counties in the State, etc... We're a full functioning shop + Conversions are only 10% of our business.

Does Garage Tuning/Aerosim have a Business License, Sellers Permit, Bureau of Automotive Repair License, Member of the BBB, have a $2,000,000 Liability Insurance Policy?

Ask how many of those other companies cars are CA SMOG approved.

I'm not here to defend us (LIC Motorsports) or what we charge, you're free to go to whomever you want.

-Noah
Old 05-13-2005, 07:21 PM

JC
I DARE you to get your work done by them and be happy and have a good working machine/car
Old 05-13-2005, 07:28 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
wow...

I just got mine done.. the car is perfect. NOTHING is wrong with it. im conversion number. not to mention if there ever was anything wrong with it all i have to do is drive over and tell them. if its something that they messed up on then they will fix it. they guarantee their work. Other places charge u to fix what they messed up. I second Daredevil..better yet see what happens if u go somewhere else. Maybe itll work.. but why trust someone who has done.. 2 conversions when u can trust someone who has done upwards of 16 and many more motor swaps?

U choose

me swap:

https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/my-new-version-7-thanks-lic-97000/
Old 05-13-2005, 09:14 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS
Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
First off.....

We are the first company (adam did the first one and then went into partnership w/ I-Speed) to do conversions and the other's are undercutting us. Some reasons may be, they are possibly cheaper than us because of overhead, cheaper parts, also our shop is in one of the most expensive counties in the State, etc... We're a full functioning shop + Conversions are only 10% of our business.

Does Garage Tuning/Aerosim have a Business License, Sellers Permit, Bureau of Automotive Repair License, Member of the BBB, have a $2,000,000 Liability Insurance Policy?

Ask how many of those other companies cars are CA SMOG approved.

I'm not here to defend us (LIC Motorsports) or what we charge, you're free to go to whomever you want.

-Noah
I know who you are (in fact I'm pretty sure I've met you). I'm sure they both have a business license (like that means anything) but not any of the other stuff. Both of them have CARB legal swaps according to them. I'm not attacking you, I know you are a good company and I would be happy to pay more for your work but 3k more is a whole lot. It's far from unreasonable to ask what that extra money goes to.

Originally Posted by Daredevil
I DARE you to get your work done by them and be happy and have a good working machine/car
Uh, they both have plenty of satisfied customers. In fact I've never heard of someone getting a swap from them and not being happy.

Last edited by AWD OWNZ U; 05-13-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
[QUOTE=AWD OWNZ U]It's far from unreasonable to ask what that extra money goes to.QUOTE]

The answer to your statement above is simple...the extra money is for perfection. LIC set their prices the way they did because they offer top notch service. Adam personally checks the engines for the conversions, including compression tests to make sure they are good, and if they arent, a new one is located to replace it. Adam has done what, 20 conversions now? Im scheduled for June 13 for my JDM Ver. 7 engine and 6 speed. I trust LIC because I have personally seen the work, as well as the LIC team working, and I know they don't just do the job, they do the job right. Dont forget, they do way more than just conversions...their motto isnt "If you can dream it, we can build it." for nothing.

Patrick
Old 05-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Former Sponsor

I know who you are (in fact I'm pretty sure I've met you). I'm sure they both have a business license (like that means anything) but not any of the other stuff. Both of them have CARB legal swaps according to them. I'm not attacking you, I know you are a good company and I would be happy to pay more for your work but 3k more is a whole lot. It's far from unreasonable to ask what that extra money goes to.

Uh, they both have plenty of satisfied customers. In fact I've never heard of someone getting a swap from them and not being happy.
well, I think you read my post wrong, at no point in time did I feel as if you're attacking me...I was simply pointing as to why our cost might be more than there's, I can't speak for the "other" companies as to why/how they can offer it much cheaper than us and to be honest it doesn't matter to me. If I focused on the few people that think we are a rip off (not saying you do), we'd go out of business worrying about it. Competition is what makes all these shops work, they are the one's who came in and under cut us, so we are the sinking ship trying to weather the storm, at least you'd think. But you make a good point why would/do people come to us and pay extra? I can't answer that because 1- I have a biased opinion and 2- I'm not the customer.

I'm sure the "other" companies do great work, so do we...there prices are what they are and so are ours. Again, everyone is free to choose whomever they want. It's good that there are other companies out there doing it cheaper, that way everyone has an opportunity to meet there own needs, some people need it done on strict budget, others have a different agenda...To each's own, It just is what it is.

Regards,
Noah
Old 05-15-2005, 01:41 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
I like Noah's answer to the major question (not that he needs me to like it) but honestly, if that extra money wasnt going to something useful then why would people pay it continualy. Noah doesnt seek to defend LIC for any reason, LIC defends itself, along with the people who continualy trust LIC's work and refer numerous customers to the shop. there is a reason for that extra money. Perfection, customer service, results, a LIC warantee to fix anything that goes wrong with something they were a part of, but as noah said "to each's own"...
Old 02-13-2006, 01:33 PM

Funny. We've done 34 swaps to date. Our rent is crazy as well here in Laguna Hills. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe LIC buys a brand new harness for every swap since they have been difficult to source. This ends up costing about $1500. I checked the prices on LIC's site a little over a year ago and found that we actually charge the exact same price for labor. All swaps (USDM) are guaranteed to pass a CARB inspection and smog. Normally we would not post in a competitor's thread, but LIC's comments are borderline bashing.
Kevin
Old 02-13-2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by 02scubyroo
I like Noah's answer to the major question (not that he needs me to like it) but honestly, if that extra money wasnt going to something useful then why would people pay it continualy. Noah doesnt seek to defend LIC for any reason, LIC defends itself, along with the people who continualy trust LIC's work and refer numerous customers to the shop. there is a reason for that extra money. Perfection, customer service, results, a LIC warantee to fix anything that goes wrong with something they were a part of, but as noah said "to each's own"...
said the man who paid too much...
Old 02-14-2006, 08:12 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
lol way to bring a thread back from the dead GT. I dont see a whole lot of GT stuff on iclub...i see alot of it on RS25.com though.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Garage Tuning
Funny. We've done 34 swaps to date. Our rent is crazy as well here in Laguna Hills. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe LIC buys a brand new harness for every swap since they have been difficult to source. This ends up costing about $1500. I checked the prices on LIC's site a little over a year ago and found that we actually charge the exact same price for labor. All swaps (USDM) are guaranteed to pass a CARB inspection and smog. Normally we would not post in a competitor's thread, but LIC's comments are borderline bashing.
Kevin
Hello Kevin,

Where or why did this thread come up? Anyways, NO we don't buy new harnesses and actually never have yet. I can't speak for some customers who have supplied their own parts though. As for pricing you're correct, I tell everyone that when it comes down to labor we are about the same. It's all in the parts, I think parts in SoCal are much cheaper, I tell everyone I don't know how you do it for so cheap. Our estimates are usually in the $8,500 range, but that assuming a worst case scenario of over $5,000 for parts, they usually average around $3,500. That's just the way it is, we have limited suppliers for parts up here and that's what it cost. I have no problem with customers supplying parts if they find a better deal, it's been done before numerous times. And as for CARB, I think all the shops meet this. I think everyone needs to consider that all the shops have their own way of doing conversion/swaps. I know Aerosim does the the complete harness w/dash, I believe you (GT) use the complete harness as well? I don't know, what I do know is only from 'hear say', which doesn't count and is why Noah's comments were incorrect. We're not here to bash you in any way, and actually metion you guys when people are inquiring about conversions. If somoene feels we are too expensive, then we say there is always GT in SoCal. So, you're Welcome, the fact that people feel we're too expensive will only feed you more business. If you've done 34 swaps to date, good job you've got me beat. Swap-on......

-Adam
Old 02-14-2006, 10:41 AM

Car Info: 04 wrx
I have actually never heard of GT.. Is there anyway you(GT) or anyone can direct me to a website or info on them? I am interested in prices... and swaps
Old 02-14-2006, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Originally Posted by turbo_4_life
I have actually never heard of GT.. Is there anyway you(GT) or anyone can direct me to a website or info on them? I am interested in prices... and swaps
http://www.garagetuning.com/
theyre more well known on www.rs25.com
go with the shop you prefer and are comfortable with.
I've recently learned myself through an install (shop will remain nameless) on my car that a procedure wasnt done during the process and I had to go to LIC to get it done right the first time and sure enough Adam and Kevin get it right the first time. I just know now that ill be sticking to LIC for service on any of my subarus

Last edited by Hatteroo; 02-14-2006 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Conversion FAQ's- LIC Motorsports