NJ: '04 JBP Forester XT td06-20g/FMIC, 343 whp sleeper

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:59 PM

Car Info: NSX, 3 WRXs :eek:, '98 Outback, '96 Legacy wagon
NJ: '04 JBP Forester XT td06-20g/FMIC, 343 whp sleeper

After a long wait, I finally picked up the new beast this week, my new red ‘04 FXT, so it’s time to list my modified JBP ‘04 Forester XT for sale (heretofore referred to as the "black" FXT). The car has 75k miles as of now, and lives on a fresh diet of MobilOne synthetic for its regular oil changes. The car was tuned at Precision Tuning in Brick, NJ and laid down 343 whp at 22 psi. Unfortunately, their rpm pickup wasn’t working right that day, so we didn’t get a torque figure. I’m currently running the car at 17 psi out of mercy for the clutch, which would benefit from an upgrade to put the full power to the ground. The car runs great, and is extremely well mannered, especially compared to it’s more raw replacement (oh, but I love the new red FXT anyway ). After driving the red FXT this week, I already miss the easy, effortless daily-drivability of this black FXT, but it’s silly for me to have two fast Foresters at the same time. I'm looking for $14k for the car.

And, just in time for winter, this FXT does great in the snow (as if I needed to remind you), as I witnessed on Sunday night in over two hours of driving home on the Parkway through over a foot of snowfall, surrounded by an unending onslaught of vehicles in front of me getting stuck on the highway. The FXT never once skipped a beat in the snow. Most of the vehicles out that night could not cope with the conditions.

Anyway, enough reminiscing of good times, here’s what you really want to know:

Mods:

Deadbolt TD06-20g
WBR FXT specific FMIC (black)
3 turboback exhaust w/CEL delete (Helix downpipe + midpipe + Magnaflow axleback w/oval tip) I have the stock muffler and the Helix 3" axleback as well
Deatschwerks 855 cc injectors
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
Perrin Turbo Inlet Hose
Perrin Short Ram Intake
5 Wire Grounding Kit
GFB Stealth FX BOV
Catless 2" Uppipe
KartBoy Extra Long Hangers
KartBoy Full Shifter Bushings
KartBoy Short Shifter
KartBoy Shift ****
Whiteline ALK
Whiteline Differential Bushing Kit

Exterior

6000K HI/LOW HID Kit for headlights
JDM HEX Lugs BLACK

Suspension

jdm STi Forester pink springs
jdm pink STi Forester rear lateral links
Perrin Adjustable 22MM sway bar front
Whiteline Rear 22MM sway bar rear
Whiteline Front Endlinks
Whiteline Rear Endlinks

This black ‘04 Forester shifter has the best feeling shifting action I’ve ever experienced on a Subaru (and I’ve had a few: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1223267). My red FXT has an STi 6mt, and I still like the feel of the Kartboy 5mt setup on this FXT so much more. I wish there was a way to switch it over. I also like the exhaust note of my black FXT a lot more than the red one. The black one has a menancing sound, like it has bad intentions. Of course, if you want to quiet the car down, the stock axleback bolts right up to the Helix turboback. Everything else about the car appears stock, other than the FMIC, but even that is hard to notice, with its black finish, so the car sports a lot of sleeper appeal. I should point out that the car has no foglights due to the FMIC piping.

I’m sure there are a few mods that I’m forgetting, so I may update this post accordingly. Feel free to ask any questions via PM or email.

Also, the speakers were upgraded by the previous owner, although I do not remember what kind they are. He put the stock head unit back in when he sold the car to me, and I’ve left it that way (hey, I’m turning into an npr kinda guy), but the components are all still in place and ready for an upgraded headunit if you’re into car audio.

The bad:

Last year someone backed into the corner of the front bumper, giving it a 4-5inch crack. Of course, this could be a good excuse to upgrade to an ‘06 Sport front end, but I’ve left it as is. There are some good posts about swapping FXT front ends on the forums at subaruforester.org. Also, another person tapped the passenger side fender and door while I was parked somewhere two years ago. I replaced the fender and had a buddy respray the fender and door, but there turned out to be fewer metallic flakes in the new paint, and you can see this in the sunlight when looking at those two panels. Others may prefer to take it to a body shop to have it matched to the rest of the car.

The car does have an Apex’i AVC-r electronic boost controller hidden in the dash center storage area, but it does not control boost (it's just a very expensive boost gauge at this point, lol. Boost is controlled by the Hallman mbc. I’m actually not sure why the AVC-r doesn’t work. I bought it used from a fellow nasioc’er, and when I could only get wastegate boost pressure I ordered a new solenoid for it, but that did not fix the problem. It's sad, but I’ve grown accustomed to just using it as a boost gauge, since the Hallman mbc does a great job managing the boost levels I need.

The current tune is via open source software (tuned by Precision Tuning in Brick, NJ).

These pictures are over 4 years old, so they were taken before the jdm suspension, FMIC, and Magnaflow muffler, so I need to take some updated pictures to show the FMIC, as well as the flaws mentioned above. That might be hard to do for a little bit, since we still have quite a bit of snow on the ground, so bear with me, and I’ll have some fresh pics up soon!

Last edited by annointed; 12-30-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 PM

Name:  Forester20gbeforefmic.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  64.7 KB
Name:  FXTdriverside.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  43.9 KB
Name:  FXTDeadbolttd0620g.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  81.1 KB
Name:  FXTBlacklugnuts.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  33.4 KB
Name:  FXTPerrinturboinlet.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  38.2 KB
Name:  FXTinside5.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  54.1 KB
Name:  FXTHIDs.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  21.2 KB
Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 PM

Pics of the cracked bumper:

Name:  IMG00031-20110107-1319.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  107.3 KB
hairline spider cracks:
Name:  IMG00032-20110107-1319.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  80.8 KB
Name:  IMG00034-20110107-1321.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  57.6 KB

And just for the fun of it, here's a view from my garage I snapped a couple days ago :icon_razz::

Name:  IMG00014-20110101-1312.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  112.2 KB

Last edited by annointed; 01-07-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:14 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
100% sexy!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks. To adapt an old quote: she's quite the lady on the streets, but a freak under boost.

I haven't had a chance to clean the black FXT and take quality digicam pics, but I just took some pics with my Blackberry to give you an idea of the bumper damage. These pics are now in the 3rd post of this thread. Thanks for looking, and please email or PM me with any questions.

Last edited by annointed; 01-07-2011 at 11:35 AM.