Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

WRX weighs how much?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 10:17 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
WRX weighs how much?

i was reading through some of the threads and come across somthing about the cars weight. A lot of people are agreeing that when using the gtech pro's and watever other acclerometers, the weight to put in including the driver is about 3550 (with the driver being about 150). there was something else about how adding all of the cars fluid, it adds an additional 130ish pounds.

im just REALLY curious. I always thought that our cars are relatively light. Curb weight (which means including gas, oil, etc. right?) is 3085 pounds for the 02 wrx sedan right? so plus driver avg weight of 150 is 3235 lbs.

please help.... sooooo confused with this curb weight thing. also, how much does the STI weigh.

by the way, i have an 02 wrx sedan.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:38 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I believe that the curb weight (3085 lbs is specified in service manual) includes a full tank of fuel and all fluids at their proper levels. Add your weight and that is what you enter into the g-tech pro. Don't read too much into the numbers because you can't compare it to any AWD dyno. The quarter-mile times will be off a bit, too, because it's hard to determine roll-out distance like at a real drag strip.

It works best as a way to compare baseline performance readings with results after changes are made to the car. In that regard, it's probably pretty accurate. I have one and it's handy as a shift light at the drags, as well as a redline warning indicator at the track (road course) although I haven't tried it there, yet.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 10-17-2004, 10:45 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi Yellow/Black
When cornerweighting an 04 STi these things end up being around 3400lbs. I'll weigh an 02 wrx some time, but i'd guess they are about the same.

-----------------------------
http://www.stifiles.com
Old 10-17-2004, 03:38 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
STi curb weight as given by manufacturer = 3,263 lbs.

The MY04 STi has thinner rear window glass, radio delete, but additional weight comes from 6MT transmission, front differential, DCCD, heavier duty suspension, larger brakes, larger wheels and tires, miscellaneous engine parts including intercooler, AVCS assembly, IC sprayer, blah, blah...

If the manufacturer-specified curb weights for the WRX/STi differ from actual measured weight on bone stock vehicles, I have no explanation for the difference since I don't have access to accurate scales.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 10-18-2004, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
out of curiosity... why are you concerned with weight?
one thing to note is that the WRX and STi have pretty good power to weight ratios.
for the MY05 WRX the HP to weight ratio is 13.59 lbs/HP (3,085lbs.)
whereas the MY05 STi the HP to weight ratio is 10.99 lbs/HP(3298lbs.)

i was playing around and got you some numbers...
Honda S2000 = 11.81 lbs/HP
Lancer EVO 8= 12.04 lbs/HP
Acura TSX = 16.75 lbs/HP
Dodge Viper = 6.82 lbs/HP
05 Legacy GT Limited = 13.46 lbs/HP

i wouldn't stress too much about the weight, as the wrx has been an excellent performer since its U.S. debut in 2002. if you are really serious about weight issues, then that in itself is another category... like putting your car on a major diet! but that will leave you with some questionable comfort issues

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 10-18-2004, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by gdogg
like putting your car on a major diet! but that will leave you with some questionable comfort issues
Does that have something to do with cushion and pushin'?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:23 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
lol...

i was just curious. i wanted to ge tthe gtech pro meter cuz i dont really know where there is a dyno or even track around buffalo. i was reading how people are dialing 3550 lbs for their wrx's including the driver into their gtech pro acceleromerters.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
one thing to note is that the WRX and STi have pretty good power to weight ratios.

Acura TSX = 16.75 lbs/HP

i wouldn't stress too much about the weight, as the wrx has been an excellent performer since its U.S. debut in 2002. if you are really serious about weight issues, then that in itself is another category... like putting your car on a major diet! but that will leave you with some questionable comfort issues

I do that a lot too. I belive the M3 and M5 both have 10.3ish lbs/HP ratios. i know that the m5 has a bigger more powerful engine but its also heavier and im recollecting these # from a long time ago also so i could be off. and i believe the m5s lbs/torque is better than the m3s in case you're wondering.

Acceleration really comes down to gearing, power to weight, drivetrain loss and aerodynamics. More power is the best way to go IMO. reducing weight is a PITA.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:48 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
yeah, the new M5 is going to beat the **** out of . . . everything V10 (or was it V12, i forget) compared to the M3's straight 6 . . . I think I'd still rather have the 3 though, smaller
Old 10-20-2004, 07:58 PM

Car Info: 2004 STi Yellow/Black
The new M5 can bring it. http://www.stifiles.com/viper/IMG_0401_sm.jpg hmm. I'll just put up a link, too big a pic.

If I start losing it'll be time for some boost.

-----------------------------
http://www.stifiles.com
Old 10-20-2004, 11:04 PM

Car Info: civic
shouldn't there a be a sticker on the car that gives it's weight?
Old 10-25-2004, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
should be on the door label, with tire psi and whatnot
Old 10-25-2004, 06:50 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX -- RIP

Acura TSX = 16.75 lbs/HP

Just because you have the hp to make up for it doesn't mean it just negates the weight issue. You could have a semi with 10,000 hp but would you really wanna drive it? You could beat anything out there in the 1/4 mile. Weight doesn't just affect acceleration. It affects every aspect of a cars performance. From braking to economy. So just because a car has a good power/weight ratio doesn't mean it's worth anything on a road course.

Personally I think the WRX and STi are both a little heavy. But so is everything else out there besides the Elise. I plan on doing some lightening on mine. Can't hurt anything but comfort. It is a saving grace of Subarus that we have a very simple AWD system as opposed to more confusing electronic systems on the lancer, etc. While those may be quicker to react ours are much lighter and there's alot less that could go wrong.

Danny
Old 10-26-2004, 02:33 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
Originally Posted by icantdrive75
1.Just because you have the hp to make up for it doesn't mean it just negates the weight issue.
2.You could have a semi with 10,000 hp but would you really wanna drive it?
1. yes you are right. the numbers i posted were to help encourage a fellow brother to keep things on a positive note in terms of weight. if i recall he made no reference to weight in regards to racing(autocross, rallying etc...) if so i would have made a more detailed report.

2. actually... i would! i'd rock a semi with 10,000 hp anyday!

personally i think subarus are heavy, but keep in mind that the MY04 STi was the same curb weight as the MY03 Evo 8. i just wish Subaru had made the steering just a little tighter and the brakes a little better.

Quick Reply: WRX weighs how much?