Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Is a WRX more "tunable" than an STi?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 08:55 AM

Car Info: 1995 Imreza Wagon L
Is a WRX more "tunable" than an STi?

Thought I heard it mentioned a couple of times here... Can a WRX be modified to perform better for the money than an STi? E.g., if I want a 350-400bhp street/track car, will an aggressivly modded WRX be cheaper and, very importantly, as reliable and streetable as a lightly (relatively) tuned STi?
Old 06-21-2005, 03:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Man, I was typing up a good response to this thread when the board died for a few moments this morning

Anyways, I think its tough to say really. If all you want is power then the cheapest way to get an STi to ~350 crank hp is with a turbo back, uppipe, intake (debatable) and reflash. That'll be $2k. For a WRX to get to ~350 crank HP, you'd probably need turbo back, up pipe, intercooler, turbo, injectors, fuel pump and a reflash and that'd probably run closer to $4k-$5k.

If you factor in the cost of the cars, then the WRX is much cheaper. But, with the STi, you also get the 6-speed and a few other goodies that aren't on the WRX. But if you don't count the cost of the vehicle, then the STi is much easier to get bigger power out of. As much as I hate to say it, there is no replacement for displacement.

Another thing to consider, is that the STi with ~350 crank hp will have about 270whp and 270wt. The WRX with ~350 crank will have 270whp but only 220-230wt.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
So the answer is... Wait and get the 2006 WRX which has the 2.5L powerplant more displacement= more torque easily obtained... Have Fun!
Old 07-05-2005, 04:23 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
yeah, but the sti has better tires, suspension, brakes, and DCCD
Old 07-07-2005, 04:41 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by jdepould
yeah, but the sti has better tires, suspension, brakes, and DCCD
You forgot the six speed transmission and associated drivetrain bits.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:40 AM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
You forgot the six speed transmission and associated drivetrain bits.
sorry, i was in a hurry
Old 07-09-2005, 10:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
drive-by-wire.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:47 AM

Car Info: '05-WRX
Thumbs up Don't Forget the High STI Insurance

Originally Posted by Zora
Thought I heard it mentioned a couple of times here... Can a WRX be modified to perform better for the money than an STi? E.g., if I want a 350-400bhp street/track car, will an aggressivly modded WRX be cheaper and, very importantly, as reliable and streetable as a lightly (relatively) tuned STi?

Most if not all insurance companies are quickly finding out that the STI is a extremely fast car - this means quickly rising insurance rates similar to what happened to the Mustang. Thieves also target the STI per insurance underwriters.

The non STI WRX is not yet under their microscope with 227 H.P. and they think its just another Impreza.

Something to think about if you plan a long-term relationship with your car and plan to tune it to the max.

I researched both models and chose the base WRX knowing specifically that the insurance would be unaffordable on the STI in just a few years. I will gladly drop $15K into mods and am not too concerned that major insurance companies will start placing premium increases on the standard WRX.

Just purchase an '05 after 6-months of intense research. No doubt the missing parts mentioned from other posts will eventually end up on my standard WRX as funds become available. (Didn't bother taking extended warranty)
Old 07-28-2005, 09:29 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Originally Posted by nKoan
Anyways, I think its tough to say really. If all you want is power then the cheapest way to get an STi to ~350 crank hp is with a turbo back, uppipe, intake (debatable) and reflash. That'll be $2k.
Don't want to sound nitpicky, but the STi really doesn't need an upgraded uppipe as the one that comes with it is already catless from the factory.

The difference between a tuned STi and a tuned WRX (both with equal power numbers) is that the 6spd can handle the power, whereas the 5spd is bound to break. Newer WRX's are having better luck with trannies (the 06 will, I believe, have the supposedly reinforced 5mt from the Legacy), though, but it's something to consider.

Also, the STi comes with decent tires whereas the WRX's tires are in dire need of replacement from the factory. The RE92's on the WRX are pretty inadequate for people who want to drive their car fast.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 PM

Car Info: GDA
the way i see it, it's not much of a choice. for what it costs to get a WRX to perform like an STi, you're gonna be shelling out a lot. go with the STi. also, no offense, but if you can't afford insurance for these cars, then you might want to reconsider your priorities and get something else instead.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:23 PM

When the first STI came to the US Sport compact car did a Beat the STI shoot out. now don't quote me on this I'm trying to recall the best I can.
There were 3 turner shops and a stock STI. I only remember Vishnu because they won and it also cost about the same as a STI. The other 2 companies cost way more.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Originally Posted by 4thHorse
When the first STI came to the US Sport compact car did a Beat the STI shoot out. now don't quote me on this I'm trying to recall the best I can.
There were 3 turner shops and a stock STI. I only remember Vishnu because they won and it also cost about the same as a STI. The other 2 companies cost way more.
Close... Vishnu came on top, but were sporting R compound tires, and cost maybe 2,000 over the STi sticker.. Next was the STi, then another tuner Rally Sport or something like that came in next which didnt quite reach the STi but was deemed the most practical car of the bunch (this car had basica exhaust mods... up, dp, cbe, and tune)... also came in a few grand under the STi.... then there was the extremely over done SPI wrx, which boasted huge numbers on whp and tq but cost like 50-60k...

again... 2006 WRX with 2.5L... it will be a great car to build on
Old 08-01-2005, 10:46 AM

Car Info: 1995 Imreza Wagon L
Is there a difference in suspension geometry b/w the wrx and the sti? Something that would give the sti an advantage?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:23 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by nicheld1
The non STI WRX is not yet under their microscope with 227 H.P. and they think its just another Impreza.
This is simply not true. 12 months after I bought my car in March, 2001, my insurance sky rocketed. I called my agent and he said that it was in the same risk classification as a Corvette or Mustang. I called around and got several quotes, all of them were quite high relative to the first year I owned the car.
The STi will likely be more to insure, in part because it has a higher sticker, but the WRX is no sleeper as far as insurance companies go.