Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

WRX faster than evo if its set to 19.0 PSI????

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 2005 Metallic Gray STI
Originally Posted by MVWRX
The EVO handles better...the STi comes stock with more power...so if you're a drag racer, the stock STi is better and if you autox the stock EVO is better. Simple. But the reason that most consumers get STi's or WRX's and not EVO's is because of two things:
-Subaru knows how to make every-day-drivable cars. The people on this forum might not realize it, but most people who buy cars drive them every day TO WORK, not on a track (drag or road or rally). Mitsu makes cars that don't last very long. Go to Tahoe or Breakenridge or BC and see what the locals drive. Mid 80's Subarus, no Mitsus. Those are harsh environments, so that says a lot.
-Mitsubishi is a sketchy company in general. Bad marketing, bad finances (rumors of bankruptcy, etc...), and inconsistant production quality. I'm not saying EVO's are bad (they're the only Mitsus made in Japan anymore so they're the best the company has to offer), but in general the comapany's production is bad so they don't sell a lot compared to Subaru.

The bottom line is that EVO's get rated better new, but a regular old WRX will be going in the year 2014 and most EVOs (and STis for that matter) will be dead as f***. I don't know about any of you, but if I buy a new car now I want it to last until I can afford another new one again (and if your mom and dad bought you a new STi or an EVO, you suck donkey dong).
Thank you . . basically in other words, WRX engine is more stable than Evo. And since STI has a bigger displacement, its more stable the Evo.... . .
Old 08-31-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1fastGC
how funny.. To these EVO haters, Should I start bragging that I will be smoking STi and WRX on daily basis with my EVO once the custom GT3071R turbokit is finished, let alone running over 25+psi, ARP headstuds, HKS cams, complete turboback and cooling system re-worked along with fuel system upgrades. Oh and mind you, should I add that Im running EMS as well? plus unlimited access to dyno tuning for free?? well i guess it wouldn't be fair, is it?

But WHO THE **** CARES! enjoy these cars while you can! No need to brag! there's always someone faster than you.
Nice set-up...... Lets say I put all those stuff or similar stuff in my WRX.. . . I'm pretty sure I'll be able to match up with you!!!!..
Better yet, Let say I spend the same amount of money that you're gonna spend (or spent). Doesn't have to be the same brand or same set-up), I believe that my WRX would be able to spank your Evo.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:02 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
whoa there guys, lets all take a chill pill. What it comes down to is:

WRX can't be running on 19psi without engine management and an aftermarket turbo/supporting mods.

STi and EVO are more or less on the same level. I don't know why the STi was brought into this discussion as the original post asked about the WRX.

And to be nitpicky, are you asking about faster in a straight line? Cuz i think a lot of people on here think overall track fast when they hear faster. That would eliminate all the talk about suspension and crap and bring this discussion back on topic.

And finally, office chair racing makes me laugh.

Last edited by Seraph; 08-31-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:14 PM

Car Info: 04 rally blue wrx sedan
Everyone is missing an important point here which is the reason why the EVO is capable of handling so much boost. It comes with forged internals from the factory as opposed to our WRX's cast internals. This is why you hear about EVO's running 25PSI on stock internals. If we tried running that much boost, even with all the supporting mods it would only be a matter of time before something melted. Now if you threw a JDM STI EJ20 in your engine bay it would be a different story since they come with forged internals.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
Originally Posted by My_Red_Suby
Nice set-up...... Lets say I put all those stuff or similar stuff in my WRX.. . . I'm pretty sure I'll be able to match up with you!!!!..
Better yet, Let say I spend the same amount of money that you're gonna spend (or spent). Doesn't have to be the same brand or same set-up), I believe that my WRX would be able to spank your Evo.
oh yeah? What turbo are you going to use? VF34? PE1820? T3/T4? what type of engine management are u going to run? Are you going to mod the stock internals too? because the EVO has forged internals. You will need to spend a lot more in order to beat an EVO. you might as well get a STi to have a chance.

truth is EVO is so much easier to make gobs of HP, while the U.S Spec STi's 2.5 block is still unproven with its tricky ecu.. lol

And believe it, the amount the dollars you are going to put in your wrx will still never beat my evo (the amount I have spent or going to spend).

Last edited by 1fastGC; 09-01-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
Originally Posted by 04WRBsedan
Everyone is missing an important point here which is the reason why the EVO is capable of handling so much boost. It comes with forged internals from the factory as opposed to our WRX's cast internals. This is why you hear about EVO's running 25PSI on stock internals. If we tried running that much boost, even with all the supporting mods it would only be a matter of time before something melted. Now if you threw a JDM STI EJ20 in your engine bay it would be a different story since they come with forged internals.
My_Red_Suby, you should listen to this guy. He's right
Old 09-01-2004, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by 04WRBsedan
I guess that was the answer I was looking for. "The difference between the Evo engine and the WRX engine". . . thanks

Ps. Just wondering.....Which ones are forged. It is the pistons, or is it the Pistons aaand the Blockfor the J-spec and EVo?.
What's the difference between the engine head set-up for US-Spec vs the J-spec.

Last edited by My_Red_Suby; 09-01-2004 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:07 AM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX -- RIP
Wink

Originally Posted by WrXtasy99
rofl, wrx for the win, its funny how it all started out on will a wrx be fine wit 19 PSI---- almost all say no so listen to then man and dont put 19 PSI u fool. by the way, BoV the BoV i added increased 20hp and the CAI is like 80+hp dont tell me they do nothin.

That's sort of impossible. Your car already comes with a BOV. You just can't hear it. The BOV that I'm assuming you have probably vents into the atmosphere giving you that PSSSSH sound. Now I'll admit the sound gives me a stiffy too. But bottom line is that it doesn't increase performance. Your stock equipment recirculates the air. The loop air flow effectively puts the turbocharger into a no load condition and the wheel keeps spinning. Under this very low load condition the high pressure air in the intercooler blows into the intake via the by-pass valve and pin-wheels compressor impeller. When the throttle is opened again, the turbine wheel is still spinning at a relatively high rpm and will go right back to work putting out boost. So an aftermarket BOV actually worsens drivability. A BOV really only serves a purpose in high boost applications(20+psi) to prevent the momentary rise in boost pressure of up to 50 psi from blowing out intercooler side tanks or popping off hoses when the throttle is shut. And I've never heard of a CAI adding anywhere near that much HP. Try maybe 12hp. On an NA car. On a turbo it doesn't make a **** bit of difference since by compressing the air the turbo heats it up anyway. That's what an intercooler is for. And My_Red_Subie...now I don't like to get pompous like some folks would and say I know everything about cars because I started out just like you and not very long ago either. But alot of this stuff is sort of silly. Can you put 19psi on a wrx? Some friendly advice. Don't do anything to your car until you know exactly what you're doing and why it improves performance. I've been doing research for the last 4 years on WRX's and am picking mine up tomorrow. There's plenty of places you can go to learn about little things about engines such as why not to boost 19psi on a car built for 13. Try www.howstuffworks.com. I enjoy reading Dave Coleman's "Technobabble" column in Sport Compact Car. Also any "Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow" articles from SCC. I believe they have even compiled them into a book available off the website www.sportcompactcarweb.com. There's a plethora of books available on the subject. I own a book by Corky Bell on turbocharging. The name of it eludes me for the moment but its something like turbocharging systems, blah blah...something or other. But it has everything you would ever need to know on the subject. Just please please please...don't rely on initial D. Invest in your knowledge of the vehicle and vehicles in general before you go modding it all to hell. You're liable to kill yourself.

Last edited by icantdrive75; 09-01-2004 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 04 rally blue wrx sedan
Originally Posted by Mevolution2002
Um......I dont think there was 1 intelligent answer in this whole thread. First off, the Evo comes with a IRON block just like the supra and thats why its able to hold ungodly amounts of boost with out poping. Forged internals help but just cause you got forged internals doesnt mean youll be able to handle a lot of boost. If you want 19psi on your wrx then just get your block resleeved cause that aluminum block is not gonna hold that. Also people who keep saying that the regular WRX is more comparible to the Evo is just stupid. Its always been Sti vs Evo sorry. Also for the people who say that they beat Evos with their simple modded WRXs are clueless. Ive had dozens of wrx try and race me and all i do is laugh and make them feel like they just beat a Evo, so they come on forums and brag about how they just had 3 car lengths on a Evo with just simple bolt ons. geeezzz......
You EVO owners don't have to be coming down to our house starting **** wars! I can understand you being partial to your cars but obviously the WRX isn't a P.O.S. either. As a true auto enthusiast I can respect all hi-performance vehicles and others respectable forums without calling people idiots.

And if you don't think that forged internals aren't a big deal maybe you should do you're research first on the WRX melting stock cast ones due to overboosting. If your EVO had cast pistons in it, it would only be a matter of time before they melted too. It's just a known fact that forged internals can withstand higher heat which is created by running higher boost. The fact that they can expand and contract when heated and cooled as opposed to the cast pieces that just crack or melt makes a huge difference.

BTW I had no idea that the EVO block was iron.......thanks for letting me know.

Last edited by 04WRBsedan; 09-01-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mevolution2002
Um......I dont think there was 1 intelligent answer in this whole thread. First off, the Evo comes with a IRON block just like the supra and thats why its able to hold ungodly amounts of boost with out poping. Forged internals help but just cause you got forged internals doesnt mean youll be able to handle a lot of boost. If you want 19psi on your wrx then just get your block resleeved cause that aluminum block is not gonna hold that. Also people who keep saying that the regular WRX is more comparible to the Evo is just stupid. Its always been Sti vs Evo sorry. Also for the people who say that they beat Evos with their simple modded WRXs are clueless. Ive had dozens of wrx try and race me and all i do is laugh and make them feel like they just beat a Evo, so they come on forums and brag about how they just had 3 car lengths on a Evo with just simple bolt ons. geeezzz......
It seems here that you're trying to imply that a WRX will "never" beat an Evo. hmmmm. I found that funny. . . . Cause I've seen a couple of WRX (not STI) beat an Evo, might not be 3 cars length but I know he beat him. . . I think you need to take your thoughts in consideration before you say something. There maybe a few WRX owners out there who exagerate about things but don't make it seems that a WRX can't beat an Evo.

Don't get offended or anything, I just don't agree with you.
thanks

Last edited by My_Red_Suby; 09-01-2004 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: WRX faster than evo if its set to 19.0 PSI????