Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

WRX faster than evo if its set to 19.0 PSI????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 11:22 PM

Car Info: 2005 Metallic Gray STI
WRX faster than evo if its set to 19.0 PSI????

I was just wondering!!! . .
WE know that stock evo is boosting 19.0 psi. Stock WRX is boosting 13.8 psi.

Will the stock WRX(not STI) be able to handle 19 psi w/o mods?

If so, If we were to set the boost for the WRX(not STI) to 19.0 psi, will the WRX be faster than the Evo?

On a longer run, if it were to keep both cars stock setup, is the WRX(not STI) more reliable than the Evo or is the Evo more reliable the WRX(not STI)? Which one would last longer if they were being driven almost the same amount of time with same style of driving?

Just a question. If its an old discussion . . please link me to the site, if not please fill me in with the info.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 11:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
evo doesn't boost 19.. it just peaks there,

wrx stock turbo isn't efficienst above 16 psi, so no

the evo is a superior car to the wrx, it takes a lot of money to change that

the STi is the counter to the evo, so dont think your WRX with 1-2 grand will change that ;o more like 4-5 grand
Old 08-24-2004, 11:39 PM

The evo is fast, but commoners around my area make it look like a wimp at the track and such. The STi is boss hands down.. I think with enough cash and tuning, the wrx can handle the evo..
Old 08-25-2004, 12:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
It's a totally different type of motor with a different turbo... it's apples - oranges when comparing boost pressure like that.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:38 AM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
won't you blow up your engine if you just match up the psi without all the proper supporting mods?

like everyone else said, the wrx sti is meant to compete against the evo. to get the wrx against an evo will take mad skrilla yo.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:01 AM

Car Info: 2005 Metallic Gray STI
Originally Posted by InfamousDX
It's a totally different type of motor with a different turbo... it's apples - oranges when comparing boost pressure like that.
They're both 2.0 Liter. I always thought that that they're about the same, and that the Evo just have a better ECU set-up. If you go to Cobb tuning, they can reflash you ECU for WRX with minor upgrade to the Air flow system and you're WRX is able to catch up to an Evo.

Another thing that makes me wonder is that, why do people say that Evo is in rival with the STI. The STI is more powerful than the Evo - Horsepower and torque wise with no mods. STI have a 2.5L and the Evo has 2.0L. With the aftermarket parts that we have for both cars STI stands out way out there than the Evo. STI is more reliable than the Evo on the long run because the engine is bigger and has a better setup and is more capable of handling the turbo.

Back to my discussion of WRX vs Evo in reliability. On the long run, which engine is more capable of handling the turbo. Who would fall first . . Evo or WRX?

P.S. We should say that Evo is trying to catch up to an STI or is the closes vehicle that can catch up to an STI (and the VW R32), if were talking about horsepower and price.

Last edited by My_Red_Suby; 08-25-2004 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:38 AM

Car Info: 04 SUBARU WRX SEDAN
I beat the **** outta a blue evo with only a up-pipe- turbo back, pulley kit, intake, bov, on my 04 wrx, i dunno maybe the kid just didnt know how to drive but i had him from the launch, i say with our cars whoever wins the launch has a good chance in the 1/4 mile
Old 08-25-2004, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
^^^
True dat. The simplest way to make a WRX fair competition for an Evo would be a new turbo

I'm sure there are other ways to get a WRX on par with an Evo, but a new turbo's the simplest (though not the cheapest) answer
Old 08-25-2004, 11:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
Who cares about 1/4 mile? Its all about handles and the evo wins that hands down.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by My_Red_Suby
They're both 2.0 Liter. I always thought that that they're about the same, and that the Evo just have a better ECU set-up. If you go to Cobb tuning, they can reflash you ECU for WRX with minor upgrade to the Air flow system and you're WRX is able to catch up to an Evo.

Another thing that makes me wonder is that, why do people say that Evo is in rival with the STI. The STI is more powerful than the Evo - Horsepower and torque wise with no mods. STI have a 2.5L and the Evo has 2.0L. With the aftermarket parts that we have for both cars STI stands out way out there than the Evo. STI is more reliable than the Evo on the long run because the engine is bigger and has a better setup and is more capable of handling the turbo.

Back to my discussion of WRX vs Evo in reliability. On the long run, which engine is more capable of handling the turbo. Who would fall first . . Evo or WRX?

P.S. We should say that Evo is trying to catch up to an STI or is the closes vehicle that can catch up to an STI (and the VW R32), if were talking about horsepower and price.
Its not all about more horsepower and displacement, because the evo has the advantage with its lightness. Although I believe sti would last longer because of the engine design.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:12 PM

I killed an EVO with a TXS STG 2. Now that I have a STG4 I polverize them and the stock STI's. Although the EVO is suppose to possess better handling than the Imprezas (WRX/STI), I still think that an EVO is closer to a WRX than an STI in engine performance. Remember, the EVO is basically maxed out from the factory, a stock block WRX can push about 400 engine HP with the right setup. I'm pushing 309whp with a TXS STG4. A STG4 is just fuel, tuning and turbo/IC upgrade.

When I pay off my WRX, I will surely get an STI.

-SZ
Old 08-26-2004, 07:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
Yeah dude, go ahead and raise your boost level to 19psi and see what happens. I'm quite sure something will be smoked.

Quick Reply: WRX faster than evo if its set to 19.0 PSI????