Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Why so much hate for the SRT-4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 08:00 AM

Car Info: '06 CGM STI
Why so much hate for the SRT-4?

OK. Slow down with the instantanious rage! I admit it, I drove a lower than dirt 01' Neon ACR for 5 years. It was a GREAT car. I never had a problem that I didn't cause with mods or abuse and I drove the car like I stole it. It had/has over 120K on it with the original clutch and the 2.0 SOHC keeps humming like the day I bought it.
I've noticed that VERY few folks on this and other Subaru oriented forums has anything good to say about the Neon/SRT-4 family. Granted, the name sucks. But these cars really did handle well for FWD's, my little 2.0 did pretty good, and SRT-4 give you ALOT of bang for under $20K.
Is it just the TYPICAL SRT-4 driver that leaves people so unhappy? Don't get me wrong, absolutely nothing DCx produces even comes close to my STI. I'm in automotive heaven right now. Just had a thought and wondered what was up?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:15 AM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Wow Super!

cheers & enjoy
Old 12-08-2006, 09:21 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by grambo
... Is it just the TYPICAL SRT-4 driver that leaves people so unhappy?...
Ding ding ding ding!!!

Well, it's not so nice in the looks department either. It's standard Dodge proceedure. Build a great motor, and throw it into any car they can fit it in. And there's only so much power you can put to the front wheels before it's doomed for drag strip duties.

It's also possible that some people are just sore because it had more strait line speed and it threw down faster lap times than the WRX out of the factory... for less dollars. At least, that's what it did in the SCC magazine comparisson test. But everyone knows that RE92 tires are probably the last tires you would choose for a track day.

Does that shed some light on your question?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Definately the owners. I've only met one SRT-4 owner that wasn't a complete idiot.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:44 AM

SupperglueWRX = fellow NIN fan? (Down in It?) badass show at ARCO last year..

Yeah, I get it. The same complaints about the "typical SRT-4 drivers" are issued at the website I used to mod at. (2GN.org) I guess I just wondered if the "Suby guy's " complaints were the same as I've heard for so long elsewhere.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:54 AM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Thumbs down

We had one on our lot for a month or so. It was the scariest car I have driven, bar none! It is a contest of wills just to floor the b*****d and keep it straight. THEN take into a canyon and it true crap potential really shines!!!

Now, combine this with a body and structure that will collapse quicker then an egg shell dropped from the reefer and you have a 'death machine' plain and simple...

Hang all the wings, stickers and wheels you want on it... I would take a 10 year old Impreza before I would touch that thing!

Other then that, ummm, it's a great car (as a low horsepower PT Cruiser ~ with a pair of 'white heads' inside!).
Old 12-08-2006, 09:59 AM

After 04' they had a Quaife LSD in em' that kinda' helped with the FWD zaniness.

Its funny you mention the safety thing. My insurance actually went DOWN when I bought the STI because of its safety ratings! Another reason to cheer for Subaru in my book. :]
Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
It's a NEON
Old 12-08-2006, 11:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by RedStage
Definately the owners. I've only met one SRT-4 owner that wasn't a complete idiot.
2, the guy at Gadsby's music in Salinas has one and one time I parked my car infront of the store and he was standing there looking at and talking to another worker about how awesome the cars were.

as for most srt-4 drivers, or well, most drivers, and cocky *******s that constantly try to start **** an think they are god's gift to earth, well, no one really likes them. Its not just srt-4 drivers, they just seem to have taken the torch of cockiness from mustang drivers
Old 12-08-2006, 11:19 AM

Meh. That was another one that the typical SRT-4 drivers always pulled: "Its not a Neon, its an SRT-4".
Yeah, thats why 90% of the $9,000.00+ worth of performance parts I had on my ACR would bolt right on to an SRT-4....idiots.

Hehe. I almost made the comment about the Mustang/Camaro/Firebird driver stereotype but didn't want to offend any former mullets out there..

Last edited by grambo; 12-08-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by grambo
Hehe. I almost made the comment about the Mustang/Camaro/Firebird driver stereotype but didn't want to offend any former mullets out there..
don't worry about that, they get ripped into when they go "my sti sucks, my [insert muscle car name] is so much better in every way than this POS subaru" and then they have no response to "why did you get and keep the subaru then?"
Old 12-08-2006, 11:37 AM

haha. I think it was one of the Sacramento guys that had a license plat frame that read: "STI, now serving up...Mustang"
Old 12-08-2006, 12:39 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Lightbulb

Funny. The person that traded the SRT, actually DID say, "It's not a Neon it's an SRT4!" Funny I said, "Kelley Blue Book sure thinks it's a Neon!" OWNED.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:39 PM

Car Info: 2005 OBP WRX
Originally Posted by BLUEJ20
It's a NEON

nuff said...haha
Old 12-08-2006, 09:44 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX 4EAT (VF34'd and FMIC'd)----sold :(
https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...ighlight=srt-4

I win.

:banana:

Quick Reply: Why so much hate for the SRT-4?