Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Types of cars faster then WRX

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 08:31 PM

Car Info: soon to be 94 legacy sport wagon
Someone was talking about a Monte Carlo SS and how a WRX could beat it. My friend is a mechanic at a chevy dealership and he says that the Monte Carlo SS with the 3.8L is pretty damn fast. but he did say that a Ponitac Grand Prix GTP came in to the shop one day and the it had been redlined a little to much and one of the pistons blew into peices. another vehicle that could whip a WRX is a GMC Typhoon or Syclone. 4.3L ic/turbocharged
Old 05-20-2003, 03:16 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Re: just a sporadic thought

Originally posted by Silver WRX420
i have always wondered just how fast a cop car is...what do you think that would run 1/4 mi.?
I have an aquaintance who is a California Highway Patrolman. He claims most of the Crown Vic cruisers they have are supercharged and will absolutlely blow the mustang cruisers away on the freeway.

I spent a day at Bondurant racing school in a Mustang following a Crown Vic around a race track. Of course, the instructor driving the big sedan was a much better driver, but he could hustle that thing around the track very quickly.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:34 AM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
Ive drivin a Police crown vic and Marauder. They are quick, the Marauder was faster than the Lansing Police Vic. Neither were supercharged. I was actually looking at buying a Marauder over the WRX. But then I thought "why not get the faster one?". Out of the three WRX wins with the Marauder's V8 screaming trying to keep up, and the Vic with its lights and sirens behind hoping the red flashing lights will stop us. Besides a 1996 Impala SS is faster than both big Fords.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:05 AM

Car Info: Aspen White GDA
Got a chance to read this thread and got something to say.

Many compared stock WRX to stock American cars and claim that WRX be smoked. The comparison could be true but that can never be used to assess the engineering of WRX. It's an import car and we dont' get too many choice(in fact, only one choice until recently).

Read the official STI's website and you'll find tons of specially tuned WRX's and Legacy's, all making well over 300hp(though the official words always claim 280hp, but we all know this is just a mask. The cars have exceeded the 280hp limit long ago.

So what is really stock? Why compare stock specs? It's just a level of engineering/tuning where the car makers would say, "okay, we should stop here. It's good enough for our sales purpose."

The stock spec can be far from the engineering limit of the car. Comparing stock specs of import and domestic cars is absolutely irrelevent since there's a difference in the availabilities of tuned stock cars.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:21 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally posted by kalasend
Got a chance to read this thread and got something to say.

Many compared stock WRX to stock American cars and claim that WRX be smoked. The comparison could be true but that can never be used to assess the engineering of WRX. It's an import car and we dont' get too many choice(in fact, only one choice until recently).

Read the official STI's website and you'll find tons of specially tuned WRX's and Legacy's, all making well over 300hp(though the official words always claim 280hp, but we all know this is just a mask. The cars have exceeded the 280hp limit long ago.

So what is really stock? Why compare stock specs? It's just a level of engineering/tuning where the car makers would say, "okay, we should stop here. It's good enough for our sales purpose."

The stock spec can be far from the engineering limit of the car. Comparing stock specs of import and domestic cars is absolutely irrelevent since there's a difference in the availabilities of tuned stock cars.
....if you re-read the thread starter's orig post, this was supposed to be a compairison of stock cars faster than the WRX under $40k. Why compare stock? Because that's the package your buying from the dealer. I think he was just curious what was faster "out of the box".
Old 06-06-2003, 09:43 AM

Car Info: Aspen White GDA
Originally posted by Kean
....if you re-read the thread starter's orig post, this was supposed to be a compairison of stock cars faster than the WRX under $40k. Why compare stock? Because that's the package your buying from the dealer. I think he was just curious what was faster "out of the box".
That's exactly what I wanted to say.
The comparison is irrelevent by nature.

See, we can't survey every engineer's effort inside each manufacturer so the only way to measure a certain car's "completeness" or its "competitiveness" is to look at their pricing as the measurement for how much resources the car maker has put in the R&D of the car.

Now, you compare a 24k WRX with sub-40k's? That is too far a comparison can be. Comparing with other sub 28k's would be reasonable in this case.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:06 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally posted by kalasend
That's exactly what I wanted to say.
The comparison is irrelevent by nature.

See, we can't survey every engineer's effort inside each manufacturer so the only way to measure a certain car's "completeness" or its "competitiveness" is to look at their pricing as the measurement for how much resources the car maker has put in the R&D of the car.

Now, you compare a 24k WRX with sub-40k's? That is too far a comparison can be. Comparing with other sub 28k's would be reasonable in this case.
I think he was just curious how the car would compare to vehicles with a price tag up to $40k (basically stock)......that's all.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:56 AM

Location: Mantana, where the men are men and so are the women
Car Info: '03 red legacy
all the police up here are outfitted with yukons and blazers. they're scary but i doubt all that fast.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
I didn't think a stock GSX or equivalent was as fast as a stock WRX. I've dealt with a lot that were just BARELY 14 second cars.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:42 PM

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX
Wow! the The Mitsubishi Lancer what you can said now? is or is not more faster than WRX or STI
Old 06-11-2003, 10:50 PM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
Faster than a WRX for 5 grand more and slower than a STi.

Quick Reply: Types of cars faster then WRX