Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Stock Prelude Hanging With Sti on Freeway???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 05:51 PM

Car Info: 05 sti
yea, of course the prelude could hang with the sti on the freeway. The sti probably didn't even know the prelude was there, i mean it's stock, right? He was just cruising, or not trying at all. Sti's still pull pretty damn hard on the freeway. If we were talking about v8's, it might be a different story, but a stock prelude? Sti's way faster. I've got a stock sti right now and i can easily outrun my sister's decently modded prelude. Even if she does get a turbo, which she's planning on pretty soon, stock sti's are still faster anywhere. I know it's a little biased, but i say go with an sti
Old 04-25-2005, 06:44 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
A stock STi would absolutely murder a stock or even slighty modded Prelude on the highway. This "bad from a roll" has been so far blown out of proportion. Sure it's not as fast from a roll as say a Cobra or some SRT-4s but it's not that bad. It is the cars weakness but that's not saying much. However, a turbo prelude would probably walk away from an STi on the freeway. I used to have one and it was faster. It had a lot done to it though so it's not saying much. My turbo prelude that was pretty much maxed out could walk away from a stock STi on the freeway. I wouldn't brag about that.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:13 PM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
if you are looking for a car and you want highway pull get the GTO, when I was at the track there was a red 5.7 that was absolutly nasty after 3rd gear. He had an intake, catless exhaust, and some sort of ECU tuning, chip or handheld. I thought i was going to crush him as I was kicking his *** to the 1/8 mile, then he shifted into 3rd ran a 12.6 and had a 115+ trap speed. Blew right past me like I wasn't even there, and I have a WRX that can hand it pretty good to a slightly modded STI. Just like most GM v8s, new GTOsget's a huge kick in 3rd, and has some really good high end. But that is modded, stock those things couldn't even hope to catch me anywhere. For some reason, stock 5.7's run better then the newer 6.0s
and an unmodded Prelude, wouldn't even beggin to pull on a STI anywhere. People say we have a huge advantage out of the hole but that because of the flat engine we lack high end. Complete BS, I pull harder on my friends EVO in 4th and 5th then any other gear. I got the V2 manifold, and trust me, I'm got some serious pull all the way to redline. A 300hp car is going to be fast everywhere unless it's a mustang, those things have no high end at all, unless it's a cobra.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:16 AM

Car Info: Grocery getter 02 wrx wagon Sexy Silver
My girlfriend just picked up an older prelude and I must say that car does have some get-up-and-go. If only it wasn't so damn small on the inside, at 6'2 its one hell of a tight fit.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Do it the old fashioned way before the Internet was invented. Test drive
Old 04-28-2005, 12:09 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
^^^^^Yeah. What are your mods? My friend had a reg. WRX before he got his STi with a good bit of stuff done and he says the STi stills feels a lot faster.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Umm...honestly, how many STI owners actually bother racing Hondas....?

In my experience Honda owners always believe the other guy is racing them. That justifies the "He couldn't pull on me"
Old 04-28-2005, 03:31 PM

Car Info: 05 sti
haha, i can't believe this thread's still here. stock for stock, the lude has no chance. and even a maxed out lude will still have it hard against an sti. They are nice cars though. soft honda clutch
Old 04-28-2005, 07:06 PM

Car Info: E39 M5
Stock Prelude VS STi? That's like slapping a puppy.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:59 PM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
my friend has a slightly modded STI that I hand it to, hows that for an answear. Well I did until he got a utec, now he pulls on me in 2nd, But all the other gears he doesn't really pull that hard. Slightly modded I'd say is DP, and exhaust. ECU tuning is starting to get in depth. Once you spend more then 2 grand. haha

As to a STI feeling faster, different gearing equals different feelings IMO. Stage 2 with uppy, and manifold, and a few other minor things, = a pretty damn fast car if you can drive (a lot can't and that's why people have BS numbers). But I will agree once he got a UTec I didn't have a chance. But his car with an intake, and turbo back, I walked all over it. I don't really expect to beat a STI with a significant amount of work, but one with just an exhaust is well in my grasp. A guy that lives close to me that I swapped trunks with, had a stage 2 WRX and got an STI and thought that the WRX was a little quicker. I guess it's all just opinion.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Double Helix
Stock Prelude VS STi? That's like slapping a puppy.
LOL LOL LOL
Old 05-14-2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by RedStage
Umm...honestly, how many STI owners actually bother racing Hondas....?

In my experience Honda owners always believe the other guy is racing them. That justifies the "He couldn't pull on me"
lol