Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

sti vs. evo, which one should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
u should really buy what u want, go test drive both and pick one. its not right for anyone of us to tell u which one. BUT! they are both great great great cars
Old 02-19-2005, 11:08 PM

Car Info: 05 Aspen White STI
Talking

ive test drove both and both perform amazingly i picked the STi b/c of the great feel and sturdyness ( i dont think thats a word) but i love both cars.. lol and also post this on a Evo Forum see what response on that... i mean u are on a Impreza board :-P
Old 02-20-2005, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 06 BLUE STI
Originally Posted by RF8808
There are plenty of reasons to get the STi over the Evo. The steering in the Evo is much quicker than in the STi (which helps it in the slalom) and it really makes it kinda tough on the driver. The STi is much more forgiving that way. If you test each car and take a critical look at the interior, the STi is much nicer inside. The fit and finish is much better in the subaru. Also, sit in the Evo seats and the STi seats. The Evo is more snug (Ricaro seats), but the STi doesn't cramp you into it. The seat back on the STi is a bit wider to accomodate the American size Big bummer, you can't hardly adjust the Evo seats while sitting in them. For 30 grand, I better have an easy time of adjusting my seat. Both cars are equally quick, but the STi is more efficient at delivering the power. The Evo is based on the 2.0L rally spec while the STi gets an America only 2.5L. Why does that matter? The Evo has to use a heck of a lot of boost to get to the performance of the Subaru -more boost = more stress on the engine. Not that the engine isn't strong, but for the money, I'll take less boost, more power, and less stress on the components. If you tuned the STi boost to the same 19 pounds the Evo puts out (as opposed to the 14.5 the STi comes with) you'd blow the doors off any Evo on the street, literally. So, in short, go with the STi. You get more safety, better materials, more power with less boost -and Subaru isn't likely to go out of business in the USA while Mitsubishi sales are off over 100% from last year. They're about to go under and that means cost cutting...

this is the best non-biased argument I have ever heard. I went on autosite.com and compared both cars side by side and I only found four differences between the two cars. But RF8808 makes the best case for both cars.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:11 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
Originally Posted by RF8808
There are plenty of reasons to get the STi over the Evo. The steering in the Evo is much quicker than in the STi (which helps it in the slalom) and it really makes it kinda tough on the driver. The STi is much more forgiving that way. If you test each car and take a critical look at the interior, the STi is much nicer inside. The fit and finish is much better in the subaru. Also, sit in the Evo seats and the STi seats. The Evo is more snug (Ricaro seats), but the STi doesn't cramp you into it. The seat back on the STi is a bit wider to accomodate the American size Big bummer, you can't hardly adjust the Evo seats while sitting in them. For 30 grand, I better have an easy time of adjusting my seat. Both cars are equally quick, but the STi is more efficient at delivering the power. The Evo is based on the 2.0L rally spec while the STi gets an America only 2.5L. Why does that matter? The Evo has to use a heck of a lot of boost to get to the performance of the Subaru -more boost = more stress on the engine. Not that the engine isn't strong, but for the money, I'll take less boost, more power, and less stress on the components. If you tuned the STi boost to the same 19 pounds the Evo puts out (as opposed to the 14.5 the STi comes with) you'd blow the doors off any Evo on the street, literally. So, in short, go with the STi. You get more safety, better materials, more power with less boost -and Subaru isn't likely to go out of business in the USA while Mitsubishi sales are off over 100% from last year. They're about to go under and that means cost cutting...
The only thing about boost vs displacement is the Evo has an iron block motor, and correct me if I am wrong but the STi is aluminum. I know there are some pushing 20+psi safely on the EJ25 but I think the evo has a slight strength advantage over the STi if we are talking about pushing the same amount of boost.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:18 PM

Car Info: 06 BLUE STI
the sti doesn't have a cast iron block WTF?
Old 02-20-2005, 05:32 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
edit: according to cars101 it is an alloy block like the WRX. But as far as strength goes, the STi is a semi-closed deck motor whereas the WRX is an open deck.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2004.html

I kind of thought before that not having an iron block does help with weight seeing that the STi was going to have a bigger displacement over the evo. However I think there is more potential with the evo motor if you plan on modifying and adding more boost.

Last edited by WRX-pilot; 02-20-2005 at 05:56 PM.