Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

sti vs. evo, which one should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 08:39 PM

sti vs. evo, which one should I get?

I was looking to get either an evo or an sti within the next year or so but I wanted to know what you guys think about both. I've been on evolutionm.com for a while and I've gained a lot of information about the evo. I was wondering what you guys thought of your sti's (for those on this site who have sti's) and how you think they stack up against the evo (good and bad points about both). Even those of you who have reg wrx's, if you think that's the best starting platform for me to go with comment away. I'm looking to get a decently reliable every day drivable car with a decent amount of hp out of the car modded (about 400ish) if possible that's why i was thinking sti or evo, however the wrx is a lot lighter which might be the better way to go.... hmm.... ???

Last edited by nightfire115; 02-04-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:47 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Blue
welcome to I-club. Both cars are an excellent choice. I like the STI and i want one real bad!
Old 02-04-2005, 10:14 PM

Car Info: E36 m3
I normally wouldnt say this, but PLEASE try to do a search. This subject has been beaten to death... its personal preference... get what you want.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:02 PM

Car Info: 04' wrx
I kind of agree with Liigod. Please search first. I will try to hel a little as a WRX owner. The STi is not a WRX. Totally different feel. I have driven an STi and if i could use one word to comare it to a WRX is "Solid". What i mean by this is that when you drive the STi it feels really grounded and smooth, also it feels very sturdy. I also think that the EVO is a good car. The only issue i have is longevity. The last gen eclipse was a great car but it seems to fall apart quickly and seemed cheap. I may be wrong but the verdict is still out on how the EVO will hold up. I am not talking about the engine or drivetrain in the EVO just everything else. Once again they are both great cars i would definately suggest driving both of them first. Also i would say that if someone says that the STi has a "softer" ride and wil be eaiser to live with on a daily basis. I would not listen to them. Ride quality is preference and when you are in the market for a car liek the STi or EVO a soft ride is not what your looking for. In fact i would say that most EVO and STi owners who are enthusiasts will probably look for a stiffer ride than stock in both vehicles. I could go on and on about my opinions. Also unless your looking to spend big $ a 400 hp WRX will not be as reliable at a 400hp EVO or STi. IE: WRX+ jdm 2.0 swap or usdm 2.5 swap + 6speed tranny and drive train + bolt on goodies and a good tune. Good luck and of course I hope you buy a suby. BTW the SRT-4 will own all(joke).
Old 02-05-2005, 01:30 AM

Location: Houston, Texas "Drive it like you stole it.." 13.034 @ 105.19 mph
Car Info: Aspen White 04 STI, Silver 03 RS (wife's car)
The only thing I want to add to this is that I havent met anybody yet who didnt like their sti and traded it in or whatever..
Old 02-05-2005, 08:06 AM

Well I just test drove an STi this morning and I have to say that car is amazing. I definitily want one. Evo's are just too expensive, I would rather get a STi and mod it then get an overpriced mitsubishi. I also don't think that I would want to deal with the build quality issues which seem to plague evo owners. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:10 AM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Go w/ your first choice. Otherwise, you'll always regret your choice. If you thought EVO first, buy evo.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
Buy an EVO and you can single handed bring mitsu's sales up in the US.

Much like everyone else said, get what you want. I'm biased, so if you want my opinion, between an EVO and a 2.5rs, i'd take the 2.5rs, between an Evo and a WRX, I'd take the WRX, Between the EVO and a STI, I'd take the STI. Hope that was helpfull. You get what you pay for, if you want a decent engine with a sub par AWD system, and an interior sh!ttier then a Civic, get the EVO.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Cup
VIP Member

Car Info: fast
S u b a r u.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:17 AM

Car Info: 2005 STI
u guys are crazy.... the wrx is best.... forget about the sti.... LOl
Old 02-06-2005, 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=WRX2ndregime]Buy an EVO and you can single handed bring mitsu's sales up in the US.

HAHAHAHHAHA, so true.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by nightfire115
I was looking to get either an evo or an sti within the next year or so but I wanted to know what you guys think about both. I've been on evolutionm.com for a while and I've gained a lot of information about the evo. I was wondering what you guys thought of your sti's (for those on this site who have sti's) and how you think they stack up against the evo (good and bad points about both). Even those of you who have reg wrx's, if you think that's the best starting platform for me to go with comment away. I'm looking to get a decently reliable every day drivable car with a decent amount of hp out of the car modded (about 400ish) if possible that's why i was thinking sti or evo, however the wrx is a lot lighter which might be the better way to go.... hmm.... ???

I was just like you before... but after hanging out here and visiting other websites, such as EVO forums, I just end up knowing more about both cars. I didn't need to ask people of which car to get, because all you will get is opinions and is very subjective. But after all these, it boils down to your OWN preferences. Competition wise, it's very a small margin that it almost balances the up's and down's of both cars.

What helped me in my decision in purchasing my STi was first, I searched on both forums. I test drove an EVO, then the STi and compared both. And as a product of all that work, I now have an STi in my driveway. It's a very simple elimination process, you will have to EXPERIENCE both cars for you to decide between the 2 cars.

So... SEARCH, TEST DRIVE to experience, then DECIDE.

Last edited by Me&STi; 02-09-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:12 PM

Car Info: Its a gross polluter : (
i'd go with an evo and get a custom license plate called "subywho"...

but an sti will spank you for that!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:47 PM

Car Info: 02 Turbo Jetta,EVO
It depends on what you want to use the car for ..IMHO... STi= Governor 145 Vs EVO= 154 drag limited.. lol ........................ stock for stock of course ...

Quick Reply: sti vs. evo, which one should I get?