Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

STI takes mods better than evo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 2004 STi
While the engine discussions have gone in depth....Please consider another aspect of STi vs. EVO.

That is the Paint.

The STi's paint is CONSIDERABLY better than the EVO's. I have 3 close friends who have EVO's and we have seen BUG strikes go right through their clear coat!!!

The EVO's paint is thinner than the skin on your teeth. All of them have gone to Clear Bra's for the fronts of their cars.

This may not be a big deal to some people, but I personally am a **** about the exterior care of my car(not to mention mechanical care as well)
Old 11-21-2003, 06:19 PM
VIP Member

i give props for both cars, i believe that both cars are fairly equal. but the only reason why i choose the sti, is because
-i dont like euros on the evo
-has a better gauage cluster
-better interior(but i like the recaros on the evo, but how comfortable would it be?)
-i personally would be scared to modify an evo that is already boosting 19 psi
-**i like the way the lights turn off with the car, and not having to manually turn it off every time
-i trust subaru and subaru fans. many subaru fans have modified their cars and if i had any question, it would be easy to find an answer because us fans have done almost anything to our cars,
Old 11-22-2003, 10:26 AM

Test drove both cars
STi handles like a pig compared to the EVO
For those that say you have to drive both cars to the max to feel the difference, you obviously haven't been in an EVO
STi handled great but after getting in an EVO there is no way I'm getting the STi now
For me handling first and power second
Will be very easy to get HP up to STi levels but will be a pain if ever to make the STi handle and feel like the EVO

Verdict - EVO for me early next year
Old 12-05-2003, 07:21 AM

Car Info: '02 Turbo IS300 660rwhp
Originally posted by Wrx Kila
First things first. The Sti has more power and sixth gear Period! Who ever said that Evos dont respond good too mods, well i will beat a stock Sti any day of the week. If you ever driven an Evo and an Sti you will see there is no comparison as far as Handling and driver comfort. Those seats in that Sti are too lose, where as the Evo is tight and snug. Come on you guys the steering wheel in Sti feel like it belongs in an 18 wheeler compared to the my nice little momo in My Evo. But I love that next snapping power in the Sti. Took me about me About 1500 dollars to get that same effect in my car. Wish I had a sixth gear but I guess five will do. Got a nice sunroof. The sound system is good also. Again The Evo is a better handler. Evo will out brake the Sti. Its a better car when pushed to the limit. Its not a Gravel car, and I dont intend on taking it there anyway.9 out of 10 magazines will give the Evo first prize despite of its power disadvantage. Oh yeah forgot one thing. DONT TRY TO BOOST PAST 16PSI IN THE STI. Like a guy I met at my friends tuning shop said ,Quote Sounds like I have migets under the hood banging away at my engine with hammers end Quote
Stock for stock, the cars are equal. You have spent $1500 to mod you car to get "that same effect" in your car. It's not fair to compare your modded Evo to a stock STi. Right now, I think the Evo handles the mods much better than the STi. We're waiting for some engine mgmt to see what the STi can do. I still think the iron block in the Evo will prove superior, but only time will tell. The seats in the STi are larger, but they fit me fine. I'm 6' and weigh ~205 and hit the gym 4 days/wk and the STi seat is a little tight around my back, the Evo seats were real tight. The bottom seat on the Evo fit me better, the STi is a little loose. Feels fine though.
The Evo may have a slight handling edge, but 99% of ppl will never be able to exploit that. The Evo does not out brake the STi. It is 3' shorter 60-0 and 1' longer 80-0 per R&T....I call that even.
I think the steering wheel in the STi is rather nice, and the slower steering is very welcome on the highway where I don't have to make constant adjustments to keep the car straight. Plus, the cruise control is wonderful I do miss the stereo, but that will be solved shortly.
So far, I'm happy w/ the STi and look forward to seeing what it can do.
Good luck w/ the Evo, it's a great car.
Scott
'04 STi
JBP/Gold

Quick Reply: STI takes mods better than evo?