Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

STI takes mods better than evo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 06:49 PM

Car Info: '02 Turbo IS300 660rwhp
I'm doing the STi vs Evo thing too and here's my observations so far.....
STi
1)faster.....depends on magazine, they're pretty equal stock
2)looks better.....very subjective, exterior is a toss up, interior goes to the STi
3)responds better to mods.....no way, Evo is killing the STi here. Until the ecu is cracked the STi is limited. How many 11 sec STi's are there? There are many 11 sec Evo's.
4)has 6th gear.....yes
5)has way more torque.....27lb-ft more peak. The larger turbo on the Evo hurts it's low-end.
6)is running .2bar less boost.....I think it's more than that
7)driver controlled differential.....yes
8)better brake feel.....haven't driven both to compare. Both have exceptional braking.
9)more ground clearance.....I would change this w/ some coilovers
10)lighter.....actually heavier by ~30#
Evo
1)turns better.....the difference in handling will probably never be noticed by 90% of the drivers.
2)free oil change etc.....my experience tells me nothing is free
3)better braking distance.....not enough to be a difference, 3' shorter 60-0 and 1' longer 80-0 according to R&T
4)more interior space.....again, not much of a difference
I'm having a hard time deciding btw these 2 cars. I like the STi better, mostly for the interior, but it's not being very cooperative w/ the mods. I'm also skeptical on the durability of the 2.5L motor. The 4G63 is a proven motor.
Both cars have their problems, just need to decide what you're looking for.
I'm looking for modability, since I can't leave anything stock. So all those w/ modded STi's give me some feedback.
Thanks.
Scott
Old 11-15-2003, 09:48 PM

The STi does not respond better to mods. The .5L displacement advantage is nice, but doesn't mean it will make more power mod for mod. The improvement in power a mod provides is determined by how efficient the factory system is. The STi has enough trouble from the factory w/ engine mgmt. Once the ecu is cracked and tuners can manipulate the fuel and timing I'm sure it will be much better.
I also doubt most STi or Evo owners can heel-toe, much less find and drive an apex. Just because someone bangs some gears and drives fast doesn't mean they can "drive". If they can, I think they'd choose the Evo because it has beaten the STi in every racetrack test I've read. Both the Evo and STi can outperform the majority of their owners....IMHO.
The STi 6spd probably is stronger than the Evo's 5spd. Mitsu is known for their lowsy tranny's, although they did beef up the Evo's.
Only time will tell for the STi and the 2.5L. The 4G63 has almost 15 years of tuning and testing in the US. We need some more STi owners to mod the cars and rack up some miles.......be the guinea pigs for us possible future STi owners The tuners and shops need to step up and get us some engine mgmt and then get to the track and run some times. Show us what the STi can handle.
Scott
Old 11-17-2003, 06:02 PM

Road & Track, June 2003
Evo
Curb weight...3240
Test weight...3390
STi
Curb weight...3270
Test weight...3430
You're weight distributions are correct.

Per the manufacturer's brochures....
Evo
Curb weight...3263 w/out sunroof, 3298 w/ sunroof
STi
Curb weight...3263
Old 11-17-2003, 08:43 PM

NP
Well, my Evo deal fell thru So it looks like I'm getting an STi:banana:
I can only hope the STi will be mod friendly because it ain't stayin' stock!
Scott

Quick Reply: STI takes mods better than evo?