Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

SRT 4 Stage 3 HOLY COW !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:58 PM

Car Info: Heep
im not sure. i might have known when i posted it almost a year ago though.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:13 AM

Car Info: Mazda RX-8
Very well said Boost Addict! My thoughts as well...
Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by bpang1
Find me an article in a respected mag like Car and Driver, Motor Trend or Road & Track where they compare WRXs to SRT 4s. It's not in the same class.
Car & Driver (Sept. 2005)

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

synopsis:
5th: Saturn Ion Redline
4th: Chevy Cobalt Supercharged
3rd: Dodge SRT-4 ACR
2nd: Subaru Impreza WRX
1st: Acura RSX Type-S
Old 02-10-2006, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 2001 WRB 2.5RS, Gold Prodrive P1's, Stromung Dual Tip, AEM SRI, Pink "i" fornt badge
.... can't argue with that bpang
Old 02-13-2006, 05:24 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX STi
Originally Posted by MBasile
Car & Driver (Sept. 2005)

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

synopsis:
5th: Saturn Ion Redline
4th: Chevy Cobalt Supercharged
3rd: Dodge SRT-4 ACR
2nd: Subaru Impreza WRX
1st: Acura RSX Type-S
Yep, I remember reading that article. If I remember correctly, the WRX wasn't one of the better overall performers in that test either. It didn't excel in any one category, but it seemed to be the most well-rounded of the bunch.

And FWIW, I wouldn't spend my money on (or be seen in) any other car in that test except for the WRX. The others just don't portray the image of "maturity" like the WRX does. And for the record, yes, I do think that the STi's rear wing and hood scoop look juvenile. I can justify the rear wing and the hood scoop because those parts are both functional and enhance the performance of the car.

Just my $.02.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:21 AM

Car Info: Tuned 08 Spec B
Okay to add in my .02 cents. I have owned an SRT-4 as well. I had it for 2 years and then I helped my wife buy an 02 WRX. When I drove the WRX even though it was slower I fell in love with several things:

-tighter steering
-the more solid feel due to better build quality
-the better interior (the SRT-4 aside from the seats has the exact same interior as a base neon. It is very bare).
-the handling
-the stability on the road

Because of this and the large list of problems my SRT-4 was having including just dying on me while on the free way twice and many other problems that really made owning one as a daily driver and commuter a nightmare, I traded it in.

I drove straight to the subaru dealership and inspired by my new found love of my wife's WRX I bought an 05 LGT (why another wrx if we already have one)! I now love subaru and in looking back I see exactly what was compromised in making a neon so fast. Quality, Reliability and Comfort.

If a car is fast and but unreliable it is cheap(SRT-4), if a car if reliable and cheap it is not fast (civic) and if a car is fast and reliable it is expensive (WRX). That is why the WRX costs between $5 and $7k more than the SRT-4 (when both new). Although not as fast, the WRX it is still fast, it is comfortable, it is reliable and it is all in all a wonderful car.

Beause of my experience with my SRT-4 I will never buy American again. This is just my experience but I thought I would share.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by bpang1
Look guy before you start calling me ignorant how about reading my original post?

I acknowledged that ya'll have a good amount of power and that's basically why ya'll bought the car right? Find me an article in a respected mag like Car and Driver, Motor Trend or Road & Track where they compare WRXs to SRT 4s. It's not in the same class.

I personally like the engine and HAVE driven the car at least 5 times.

Please don't cry about how I came back with a witty one liner after you made a witty one liner at me. So you can take shots at me and I can't take an equal shot back? Anyways, whatever...I'll give your neon some props it does have a lot of power going for it.
Car & Driver DID compare an SRT4 to a WRX in one of their last 3 or 4 issues. The SRT4 SMOKED the WRX. The SRT was at the top of the class in nearly all performance aspects., but somehow managed a 3rd place finish....

Probably because it's a NEON. I'd still take a WRX over a Neon, regardless. I really wouldn't want to be seen in a "Pizza Hut Delivery car."
Old 03-13-2006, 05:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
All I know is I have 108k on my WRX and have NEVER had a single problem.

*knocks on wood*

My friend with and SRT-4 with 42k hasn't been so lucky.

And believe me I catch some serious crap for owning a Subaru in Michigan, funny thing is that it makes the most sense here being all-wheel-drive. Eh, whatever. I love my car. Safe to say I will always own a Subaru of some kind. They are constantly on top in safety and reliability and the performance isn't bad either
Old 03-13-2006, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
All I know is I have 108k on my WRX and have NEVER had a single problem.

*knocks on wood*

My friend with and SRT-4 with 42k hasn't been so lucky.

And believe me I catch some serious crap for owning a Subaru in Michigan, funny thing is that it makes the most sense here being all-wheel-drive. Eh, whatever. I love my car. Safe to say I will always own a Subaru of some kind. They are constantly on top in safety and reliability and the performance isn't bad either
Why do you "catch crap" for driving a Subaru in Michigan? Is it because of all the "Pro-Detroit Cars" rednecks?

While mentioning Subaru reliability, check out the April 06 issue of Consumer Reports. EVERY SINGLE vehicle in Subaru's line came as HIGHLY recommended, and they were consistently in the top choices of every category that they participated in.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Why do you "catch crap" for driving a Subaru in Michigan? Is it because of all the "Pro-Detroit Cars" rednecks?

While mentioning Subaru reliability, check out the April 06 issue of Consumer Reports. EVERY SINGLE vehicle in Subaru's line came as HIGHLY recommended, and they were consistently in the top choices of every category that they participated in.
That is exactly why I catch crap. You have to understand that all of the big three are headquartered here. I would say 75% of the jobs in michgan are related to the big three. So everyone expects you to buy American.... Just the mentality I suppose. I saw that consumer reports, it was very nice to see that stuff in there, I made sure to point that out to my Dodge/Chrysler driving parents!!
Old 03-13-2006, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
That is exactly why I catch crap. You have to understand that all of the big three are headquartered here. I would say 75% of the jobs in michgan are related to the big three. So everyone expects you to buy American.... Just the mentality I suppose. I saw that consumer reports, it was very nice to see that stuff in there, I made sure to point that out to my Dodge/Chrysler driving parents!!
What's scary is that most of Mitsubishi's models were also recommended by Consumer Reports!

I wouldn't purchase a Chrysler/Dodge product. They can't keep a transmission under them for more than about 20,000 miles; at least that's my experiences that I've consistently heard from people that own them. For the record, I'm talking about ADULTS (aunts, uncles, etc.), not young drivers that are hard on cars.

We had a Dodge Charger as a rental car that we took from Maryland to Wisconsin in September that I was quite impressed with. It was roomy, comfortable, and surprisingly quiet inside, but I did not like the "chop-top" view out the windows. I felt very confined, despite how roomy the cabin was. The handling was also sub-par, the steering was very light, and the tires squealed around every corner, regardless of how tight it was.

While I wasn't ecstatic over the Charger, it did give me a higher opinion of Chrysler/Dodge products, but I still wouldn't own one because not only is it well-known that they don't like to honor their warranties, but I'm not convinced that I wouldn't be replacing transmissions every 20,000 miles.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by meilers
No, he's exactly right. A SRT-4 is actually not impressive at all for the money, when compared to other American cars of its ilk; if your desire is to go fast in a dead straight line, you can get a used Z28 or SS Camaro and crank it up to 600 HP with about $10,000 total invested, and get RWD to boot. Regardless of the "Mopar" influence on the SRT-4. it is indeed built upon an economy chassis and does deserve to be compared to the Focus, Cobalt (Cavalier), Saturn Ion and Honda Civic FWD class. Among that class it stands out well, but certainly is not totally dominant. I've driven a Focus SVT that could certainly beat a stock SRT-4 in any situation.

As for the Mopar Stage 3, it certainly has decent numbers, but achieving that much power out of a 2.4-liter inline block is not some superhuman feat of engineering. Reading the description, I worry about fuel delivery issues.

Comparing RWD to AWD to FWD is a fruitless effort; each drive system entails entirely different driving mechanics and methods. AWD is an extremely poor choice for a drag car (25% or more of drivetrain power is lost as heat/friction); FWD is a poor choice for power over 350HP, because you begin to get wheel hop and uneven loading on launch. RWD makes for a great drag car, but may not serve a car well in twisties or uneven terrain. Each type of car has its specific optimal conditions and environment, obviously; those who bought an STI to street-race deserve the beating they will get; it makes about as much sense as buying a SRT-4 to climb Pike's Peak.
I agree whole heartedly. It really is LOL. Power aside, the car is a POS. And will never get any traction on the street. And in the turnsies, the joke is on us for even racing the thing.

My wife and I both own WRXs.

Last edited by DeliciouSpeed; 03-15-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by DeliciouSpeed
I agree whole heartedly. It really is LOL. Power aside, the car is a POS. And will never get any traction on the street. And in the turnsies, the joke is on us for even racing the thing.

My wife and I both own WRXs.
I ended up behind one on the twisties today. You should've seen the Neon try to scamper away, only for me to be nearly driving right up his ***. :rotfl:
Old 03-15-2006, 05:56 PM

Car Info: 2003 GGA
I think the subaru engineers were very shrewd in the choices/compromises they made for the WRX. The WRX, in stock form, is a great daily driver. The suspension is not harsh. Driving at 80 on the freeway is as pleasant as driving my wife's lexus rx300. Range on a tank of gas is just about 300 miles. Its just noisy enough to let you know it is a sports car but its not loud.

Civility is easy to mod out of a car but a little more difficult to put in.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:31 PM

Car Info: 2004sti
For the cost of car and power up-grades it's a steal ! Handling maybe crap but , it can haul . Hey I wouldn't buy one but for some people that's all they can afford . Before I get bashed I drive a 2004 sti , I just found to keep peace respect other people's rides . Just my opinion . Peace .

Quick Reply: SRT 4 Stage 3 HOLY COW !!!!