Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

sick of the whole 'stages' thing

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 07:21 AM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Nothing against you, but I won't even bother wasting my time talking to LS1 owners. They all think they have this "almighty" motor that was "breathed on by god." They all have the mentality that the LS1 rules, while everything else sucks. Tell an LS1 owner a Mach 1 Mustang will run side by side with an LS1, or beat one, and watch the excuses flow.

When the '98 LS1 F-Bodies came out, I wanted a piece of one so badly that I could taste it. And then I got my chance. I was at a gas station and saw this chump pull in driving a '98 Z28. I asked him what it ran and he told me it ran a 13.70 @ 105 mph (or something like that). I asked him when he ran it and how cold it was. He told me, "I didn't run it." Then I asked him, "Well how do you know it will run a 13.70 @ 105 mph? He reached into his back seat and pulled out an issue of Motor Trend, and then flipped to the page to show me! :rotfl:

So, I challenged the poser to a race. I beat him (one of the many LS1s my "inferior" LT1 has chewed up and spit out). Instead of congratulating me on my fine specimen of an F-Body, he starts with the excuses, and looks very agitated and concerned. "But....why....how.....you have an LT1! This is an LS1! Something's wrong with my car! What's wrong with my car?" I simply replied to the LS1-driving jackass, "Nothing's wrong with your car. Mine's simply just faster......" :rotfl:

Typical LS1 owner. Always an excuse for losing. They're worse than SRT owners.....

Not to mention, miss a shift in a car with a weakass motor like an LS1 and the rods bend. Not to mention their constant oil starvation problems. I'll take an optispark over a glorified Pepsi can anytime. You couldn't pay me to own an LS1.

BTW, I don't believe Mustangs suck. You're on your own with that one. I just think that their increase in weight and their interior parts suck.

And you're not lusting over the LS1. You're lusting over your old Formula because the CAR meant something to you. You would lust over it just the same if it had an LB9, L98, or LT1.....
your right on the typical ls1 mind set.
I was in a position where I picked up the car not realy knowing any thing other than it looked like a 6-banger firbird and had a V-8 and a 6-speed.
I like the Ls-1 for the same reason I hated it in the first place... Light weight aluminum block. Thats all that makes that engine in my mind.
That and my friend built up a wicked turbo Ls-1 and never had any issues with it. When he was sick of the Ls-1 he built up a wicked 409 stroker out of a 6.0l block. Ive never see any troubles with oil starvation (manily thru his projects) so I have nothing bad to say about the lt or the ls. all I know is there is usualy bad blood between the groups for no good reason.

I bought the car in aug. it came with choak-master exhaust, center force clutch, and a light weight flywheel.
I put mac midlenth headers with catless y pipe, skip shift iliminator (best $25 spent ever!), fast toys ram air kit, texas speed proformance intake lid, and new seats.
then in january my friend spun it on the free way and it was toast. Love it or hate it I always got props from stang, import, and mopart guys. I wasent a total tool about the thing. The only car I ran that I couldent beat was a c5 zo6. The new mach 1 kept up well, and the blown cobra was damn close.
The two things I hate about mustangs are the intirror, and the fact that they couldent keep up so the decided to just supercharge it. Great move for people that were thning about the stang in the first place, now they can get it supercharged. But I still hardly seem the victory in a supercharged V-8 just barly beating a N/A V-8..

so over all the short time I had the car I loved it to death! I would buy another one any day of the week.
All and All at the time of the accident I think my car was like stage 2 1/2 or something!! LOL

Last edited by cudaeh; 03-19-2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by cudaeh
your right on the typical ls1 mind set.
I was in a position where I picked up the car not realy knowing any thing other than it looked like a 6-banger firbird and had a V-8 and a 6-speed.
I like the Ls-1 for the same reason I hated it in the first place... Light weight aluminum block. Thats all that makes that engine in my mind.
That and my friend built up a wicked turbo Ls-1 and never had any issues with it. When he was sick of the Ls-1 he built up a wicked 409 stroker out of a 6.0l block. Ive never see any troubles with oil starvation (manily thru his projects) so I have nothing bad to say about the lt or the ls. all I know is there is usualy bad blood between the groups for no good reason.

I bought the car in aug. it came with choak-master exhaust, center force clutch, and a light weight flywheel.
I put mac midlenth headers with catless y pipe, skip shift iliminator (best $25 spent ever!), fast toys ram air kit, texas speed proformance intake lid, and new seats.
then in january my friend spun it on the free way and it was toast. Love it or hate it I always got props from stang, import, and mopart guys. I wasent a total tool about the thing. The only car I ran that I couldent beat was a c5 zo6. The new mach 1 kept up well, and the blown cobra was damn close.
The two things I hate about mustangs are the intirror, and the fact that they couldent keep up so the decided to just supercharge it. Great move for people that were thning about the stang in the first place, now they can get it supercharged. But I still hardly seem the victory in a supercharged V-8 just barly beating a N/A V-8..

so over all the short time I had the car I loved it to death! I would buy another one any day of the week.
All and All at the time of the accident I think my car was like stage 2 1/2 or something!! LOL
Well, the bad blood between the LT1 and LS1 guys stems from the LS1 guys. They seem to think that their engines are unbeatable and better than anything else on Earth. They're the same guys that had 305ci Camaros, then when the L98 came out they had the L98 and the 305ci sucked, and then when the LT1 came out the L98 sucked, and then when the LS1 came out the LT1 sucked. Wait until the next Camaro comes out, and they'll be the same guys touting how the LS1 sucks. It's a vicious circle. LS1 F-body owners are just big of jackasses as the SRT guys. It never ceases to amaze. I'll be driving my Camaro and then some LS1 idiot will do a flyby and give me a "rev-check," or whatever. I'll just return the favor with a nice "thumbs down."

A buddy of mine has a turbocharged 98 T/A and the car is sickly fast. He's making around 650 rwhp. I haven't had the opportunity to ride in it since his rebuild and turbocharging, but I surely can't wait. He seems to be one of the very few LS1 guys that can keep his head in check.

Pathetic, really, because the only advantage an LS1 has over an LT1 are heads and an intake that breathe incredibly well. Not to mention the LS1 doesn't have half the restriction in the manifolds that the LT1 has. People talk about how strong the LS1 is because it's a 6-bolt main block, and that's great, but I'll stick with an iron block.

Take the poorly performing parts off the LT1 and swap them with parts comparable to an LS1, and you're going to see two very closely performing motors. It just so happens that the LS1 cars left the factory with many improved "periferals," such as better breathing heads and intake, and manifolds that flowed quite well. Replace an LT1 with headers (comparable to LS1 manifolds), equal flowing heads, and equal flowing intake, and don't be surprised to see very close numbers.

I don't particularly hate the LS1. I hate the owners. But, I'm old-school. I'm all about iron block/aluminum heads when it comes to domestics. I had to 2nd-guess myself when purchasing the STi because it is aluminum block/aluminum head I believe. I believe the Evo's 4g63 is an iron block/aluminum head, but I'm not certain. I decided that I'd take a chance with Subaru because of their reputation regardless of what type of block was under the hood. So far, so good.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
I have a stage 2 NA audi a4
Old 03-19-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Well, the bad blood between the LT1 and LS1 guys stems from the LS1 guys. They seem to think that their engines are unbeatable and better than anything else on Earth. They're the same guys that had 305ci Camaros, then when the L98 came out they had the L98 and the 305ci sucked, and then when the LT1 came out the L98 sucked, and then when the LS1 came out the LT1 sucked. Wait until the next Camaro comes out, and they'll be the same guys touting how the LS1 sucks. It's a vicious circle. LS1 F-body owners are just big of jackasses as the SRT guys. It never ceases to amaze. I'll be driving my Camaro and then some LS1 idiot will do a flyby and give me a "rev-check," or whatever. I'll just return the favor with a nice "thumbs down."

A buddy of mine has a turbocharged 98 T/A and the car is sickly fast. He's making around 650 rwhp. I haven't had the opportunity to ride in it since his rebuild and turbocharging, but I surely can't wait. He seems to be one of the very few LS1 guys that can keep his head in check.

Pathetic, really, because the only advantage an LS1 has over an LT1 are heads and an intake that breathe incredibly well. Not to mention the LS1 doesn't have half the restriction in the manifolds that the LT1 has. People talk about how strong the LS1 is because it's a 6-bolt main block, and that's great, but I'll stick with an iron block.

Take the poorly performing parts off the LT1 and swap them with parts comparable to an LS1, and you're going to see two very closely performing motors. It just so happens that the LS1 cars left the factory with many improved "periferals," such as better breathing heads and intake, and manifolds that flowed quite well. Replace an LT1 with headers (comparable to LS1 manifolds), equal flowing heads, and equal flowing intake, and don't be surprised to see very close numbers.

I don't particularly hate the LS1. I hate the owners. But, I'm old-school. I'm all about iron block/aluminum heads when it comes to domestics. I had to 2nd-guess myself when purchasing the STi because it is aluminum block/aluminum head I believe. I believe the Evo's 4g63 is an iron block/aluminum head, but I'm not certain. I decided that I'd take a chance with Subaru because of their reputation regardless of what type of block was under the hood. So far, so good.
Its odd to say that the ls-1 owners act all high and mighty but you wont even admit the the inferiority complex that some lt-1 guys have that makes them bitter twards the ls guys in the first place.
Ive been on both sides of the coin and I gotta say people are *******s no matter what they drive. I can see where some people will **** you off because they are jurks but that dosetn mean all ls guys are jurks because of that your friend is proof of that.
my roots are in the 3rd gens my self. I never played with aluminum heads. mainly because they are usily trashed if something goes wrong in the combustion chambers. I always bolted the 305 heads to the 350's with decent intake, carb, cams and headers and suprized a fiew ls and lt trans ams.
Not too shabby for a $3000 car.

I see your side and I agree on alot of it but i dont think you can write off all of em because of the majoity you ran into.
I personally dont like the lt cars because to mee they look like trash (firbirds that is) the cameros are spot on in my book. I hate the slant nose look to the birds.. just dont sit right with me.
Attached Thumbnails sick of the whole 'stages' thing-three.jpg  
Old 03-19-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by cudaeh
Its odd to say that the ls-1 owners act all high and mighty but you wont even admit the the inferiority complex that some lt-1 guys have that makes them bitter twards the ls guys in the first place.
Ive been on both sides of the coin and I gotta say people are *******s no matter what they drive. I can see where some people will **** you off because they are jurks but that dosetn mean all ls guys are jurks because of that your friend is proof of that.
my roots are in the 3rd gens my self. I never played with aluminum heads. mainly because they are usily trashed if something goes wrong in the combustion chambers. I always bolted the 305 heads to the 350's with decent intake, carb, cams and headers and suprized a fiew ls and lt trans ams.
Not too shabby for a $3000 car.

I see your side and I agree on alot of it but i dont think you can write off all of em because of the majoity you ran into.
I personally dont like the lt cars because to mee they look like trash (firbirds that is) the cameros are spot on in my book. I hate the slant nose look to the birds.. just dont sit right with me.
I love the 98+ Formula WS6 cars. They look great. I'm not so keen on the T/A. I like the front clip on the Formula much more.

As for the LT1 Firebirds, my favorites of the bunch are either the Formula WS6 or the 93 or 94 model with the "cursive writing" "Formula" insignia on the rear bumper and on the bottom of the doors. For some reason I just love those cars.

You do bring up a good point about some of the LT1 guys getting all "touchy," but hey, everybody likes to think their car is the greatest. Some people are just more prone to putting everyone else's down (LS1 owners- case in point).

I won't lie, I knew some LT1 fanboys, but then the LS1 came out, and guess what they are now. Yep, you guessed it. They're LS1 fanboys. Some people just always have to have the latest and "greatest" to make themselves feel important. If you're never satisfied with what you have, then you'll never truly be happy. The grass is always greener on the other side......
Old 03-22-2006, 01:14 PM

Car Info: 2005 impreza rs
I have splash guards, kartboy shifter, Isotta **** and boot, a Kenwood Deck with Boston speakers. What stage am I? I mean, technically all of those things help my performance in a way. I agree that the whole stage thing is silly. If a car comes from the line as a stage 1,2,3, whatever, that's what that is. If you mod your own car, it doesn't become stage anything. It's just your car with new stuff, that's it.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by gijow
I have splash guards, kartboy shifter, Isotta **** and boot, a Kenwood Deck with Boston speakers. What stage am I? I mean, technically all of those things help my performance in a way. I agree that the whole stage thing is silly. If a car comes from the line as a stage 1,2,3, whatever, that's what that is. If you mod your own car, it doesn't become stage anything. It's just your car with new stuff, that's it.
So basically you're at Stage 2.4233533435?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:39 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Hybrid
how much horse power does your splash guards and audio equipment give you?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by impreza25rstn
how much horse power does your splash guards and audio equipment give you?
The Stage 3 splash guards are good for about 10 hp.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:02 PM

lol. you know, stickers give 50 hp each!!! thats why hondas are so fast
Old 03-22-2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by impreza25rstn
lol. you know, stickers give 50 hp each!!! thats why hondas are so fast
Don't say anything negative about Hondas. I have a "stalker" that's following me around from thread to thread that's been "attacking" me because of my attitude towards Hondas. :rotfl:

Oh yeah, Hondas SUCK.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:18 PM

ok, ill justify my statement, i go racing (legal and illegal) about 2-3 times a week for the past year. so 52x2 (lets round down) = 104 times racing in the last year either at the track or at a street meet. Ive only had 1 honda beat me the whole time. (turbo'd s2000). not saying there arent any fast honda's out there, but id say that 99.9% of them arent
Old 03-22-2006, 07:00 PM

Well everyone, not to brag but i had the splash guards painted so they are now stage 5. I'm talkin SERIOUS whp. And i forgot to mention my bottle of Fabreze, so I'm driving at least a stage 12 RS right now. Again, I'm not trying to brag, just wanted to give you all ideas on how to make your car the stageyist it can be.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by gijow
Well everyone, not to brag but i had the splash guards painted so they are now stage 5. I'm talkin SERIOUS whp. And i forgot to mention my bottle of Fabreze, so I'm driving at least a stage 12 RS right now. Again, I'm not trying to brag, just wanted to give you all ideas on how to make your car the stageyist it can be.
I got one better.
Im collecting parts for my RS-T project and the turbo and top mount I/C are sitting on my tv... so that makes it like a stage 237 rca !!
Old 03-22-2006, 07:06 PM

Seriously? I've heard of those, but I have never seen one in real life. I didn't know they even existed. That's tight cudaeh, tight!

Quick Reply: sick of the whole 'stages' thing