Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

sick of the whole 'stages' thing

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 03:45 PM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
sick of the whole 'stages' thing

Im sick of people refering to there car (as a whole) as stage _________ .
I understand the alot of companeys find it easier to explain there parts as stage what ever.
To me refering to your car as stage _______ is like saying that 'I got NOS'.
It's understandable that some would want to discribe the parts they have but calling the car stage ______ kind of indacates that you have all the stage _____ parts that that company makes for your car...
Old 03-17-2006, 04:00 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Hybrid
but doesnt it make it easier to say I have a stage ______ rather than saying i have:

this
this
this
this
this
this
this.

rather than listing a whole crap load of mods you have done, if your into the whole import tuning sceen, you would have a basic understanding of the stages, obviously the higher the stage, the more mods, power, and money they have spent.

As for myself, I just went with a custom home build. and I smoke stage xxx cars and trucks (not all but most)
12.222 @ 107mph
call me stage 0
lol
Old 03-18-2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by impreza25rstn
but doesnt it make it easier to say I have a stage ______ rather than saying i have:

this
this
this
this
this
this
this.

rather than listing a whole crap load of mods you have done, if your into the whole import tuning sceen, you would have a basic understanding of the stages, obviously the higher the stage, the more mods, power, and money they have spent.

As for myself, I just went with a custom home build. and I smoke stage xxx cars and trucks (not all but most)
12.222 @ 107mph
call me stage 0
lol
so you see then how ricer it all sounds?
there is no standardized system for the whole stage thing.
if a company sells heads and they have four diffrent types of heads with verrious modifications and they call them stage 1-4.
and a compeeting company sells two diffrent kinds stages 1-2
and you say you have stage 2 heads but you dont say what company they are from you eather have medium flow heads or high flow heads... whos to know?

and what about the people that mod stuff them selfs?
I portmatched my intake manafold, heads and header, what stage is that?

I can see it if you say that you have a _____ stage 2 turbo system.
but saying that your car is stage 2 because you have a stage 2 turbo system seems like your trying to misleed people into believing your car is more modified than it actully is....

man I have issues... I dont know why this even bothers me... I think im just sick of people that trash ricers but then have the same 'upper class' tendicys...
im going to get some breakfast and get some welding done on my charger and just let this all go
Old 03-18-2006, 07:40 AM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Hybrid
I completly agree with you! like I stated, I have all custom garage built mods and upgrades. When ever people say all that $hit I just ask them who fast they run ( im a 1/4 mile guy myself) That usually paints a good picture.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by impreza25rstn

this
this
this
this
this
this
this.

12.222 @ 107mph
call me stage 0
lol
Every company has a different idea of a "stage." Not to mention, "stages" are "ricer-speak."

For example, I also have a '94 Camaro. It has its fair share of mods, but not an over-abundance of them. So where do "stages" begin and end? Here are the mods that I have done to it...

3" cat-back exhaust
cold air intake
pcm custom programming
LT4 knock module
1LE intake elbow
polyurethane bushings
polyurethane transmission mount
2400 rpm stall converter
shift kit
throttle body air foil

So, where do the "stages" begin and end with my car?

And to agree with Cudaeh, I agree; I'm sick of "stages." The only reason I refer to my Cobb AP Stage 1 tune as "Stage 1" is because Cobb calls it the "Stage 1 Tune."
Old 03-18-2006, 05:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Stages actually do seem to make it easier than listing everything you have. Most "stages" atleast for the WRX's seem pretty stardard from company to company. Isnt stage 2 usually TBE and tune? If someone really wants to know what you have on the car they'll ask, otherwise, for a general idea stages are easier.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:46 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
I think you're missing the point

All cars of different makes are different. If some guy with a 350Z came to me and said he had a stage 2. I wouldn't know what he's talking about. But here in a Subaru forum, more specifically in the 02 - present day WRX forum, when someone tells me that they have a stage 2 I know right that at least its: Piggy back or re-flashed ecu, with a turbo back exhaust. Unless stated otherwise I'm going to assume they didn't swap the turbo. It's just a quick reference.

I think it's silly how each individual company is trying to one up the next guy by saying that thier stage 0 is the same as the competitions stage 1. That just takes a generalized term and makes it confusing and useless. So then you're back to listing all your aftermarket stuff when someone asks.

In either case, I don't think it's worth getting upset about.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '94 WRX, '97 Forester S/Tb, '95 WRX-RA
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
And to agree with Cudaeh, I agree; I'm sick of "stages." The only reason I refer to my Cobb AP Stage 1 tune as "Stage 1" is because Cobb calls it the "Stage 1 Tune."
2nd on that one! I can understand the way companies put out their products in stages. It is a way to make sure that the parts you are installing will all work together reliably (and don't void a warranty). It's also a good way to get everything you need for a mod at the same time, instead of picking up a new turbine and then having to hunt elsewhere for injectors and a fuel pump to support it. I have only come across a few companies here in Japan that have their parts in stage packages. It would make it easier on me for sure.

Anyways, as of late, instead of saying "I have this, and this, and this, and this..." I keep a printed list in my glove box and hand it to whoever is asking. Saves me time, my breath, and ensures I don't miss mentioning some mod I did that I would otherwise forget if I had to list them off the top of my head.

Last edited by Toiletbrush; 03-18-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Toiletbrush
2nd on that one! I can understand the way companies put out their products in stages. It is a way to make sure that the parts you are installing will all work together reliably (and don't void a warranty). It's also a good way to get everything you need for a mod at the same time, instead of picking up a new turbine and then having to hunt elsewhere for injectors and a fuel pump to support it. I have only come across a few companies here in Japan that have their parts in stage packages. It would make it easier on me for sure.

Anyways, as of late, instead of saying "I have this, and this, and this, and this..." I keep a printed list in my glove box and hand it to whoever is asking. Saves me time, my breath, and ensures I don't miss mentioning some mod I did that I would otherwise forget if I had to list them off the top of my head.
Exactly. I may be in the minority, but when I choose to go with a product, I prefer to stick with other parts from the same manufacturer. For example, I went with a Cobb AP, so I would prefer to go with a Cobb exhaust as well. I figure that when these manufacturers are tuning and working to obtain optimal performance they are more than likely using their parts and tuning for optimal performance with their parts.

I have a 3" Hooker cat-back on my Camaro. I also have a Hooker Y-pipe and Hooker Long-tube headers in the closet that need to be installed. I'm waiting to rebuild the engine before I install those parts.

I believe that when you're tuning a car and sticking with one manufacturer "Stages" are helpful, but only under that circumstance....
Old 03-18-2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru

wow, an LT-1 guy agreeing with an LS-1 guy on any thing other than mustangs suck..... (still lusting after my 98formula that was totaled 3 years ago )
very odd..
just kiddding around
I never considered the stage thing as componets designed to work together..
That makes alot of sence.
I guess i never considered things like that because I never stick with parts company. I rarly ever stick with manufactured componets.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by cudaeh
wow, an LT-1 guy agreeing with an LS-1 guy on any thing other than mustangs suck..... (still lusting after my 98formula that was totaled 3 years ago)
very odd..
just kiddding around
I never considered the stage thing as componets designed to work together..
That makes alot of sence.
I guess i never considered things like that because I never stick with parts company. I rarly ever stick with manufactured componets.
Nothing against you, but I won't even bother wasting my time talking to LS1 owners. They all think they have this "almighty" motor that was "breathed on by god." They all have the mentality that the LS1 rules, while everything else sucks. Tell an LS1 owner a Mach 1 Mustang will run side by side with an LS1, or beat one, and watch the excuses flow.

When the '98 LS1 F-Bodies came out, I wanted a piece of one so badly that I could taste it. And then I got my chance. I was at a gas station and saw this chump pull in driving a '98 Z28. I asked him what it ran and he told me it ran a 13.70 @ 105 mph (or something like that). I asked him when he ran it and how cold it was. He told me, "I didn't run it." Then I asked him, "Well how do you know it will run a 13.70 @ 105 mph? He reached into his back seat and pulled out an issue of Motor Trend, and then flipped to the page to show me! :rotfl:

So, I challenged the poser to a race. I beat him (one of the many LS1s my "inferior" LT1 has chewed up and spit out). Instead of congratulating me on my fine specimen of an F-Body, he starts with the excuses, and looks very agitated and concerned. "But....why....how.....you have an LT1! This is an LS1! Something's wrong with my car! What's wrong with my car?" I simply replied to the LS1-driving jackass, "Nothing's wrong with your car. Mine's simply just faster......" :rotfl:

Typical LS1 owner. Always an excuse for losing. They're worse than SRT owners.....

Not to mention, miss a shift in a car with a weakass motor like an LS1 and the rods bend. Not to mention their constant oil starvation problems. I'll take an optispark over a glorified Pepsi can anytime. You couldn't pay me to own an LS1.

BTW, I don't believe Mustangs suck. You're on your own with that one. I just think that their increase in weight and their interior parts suck.

And you're not lusting over the LS1. You're lusting over your old Formula because the CAR meant something to you. You would lust over it just the same if it had an LB9, L98, or LT1.....
Old 03-19-2006, 12:07 AM

Car Info: 04 WRB Stizzle
Originally Posted by MBasile
Stages actually do seem to make it easier than listing everything you have. Most "stages" atleast for the WRX's seem pretty stardard from company to company. Isnt stage 2 usually TBE and tune? If someone really wants to know what you have on the car they'll ask, otherwise, for a general idea stages are easier.

I agree, it just makes things a little easier since most of us have a general idea of the stages. But in any case, I agree with Chrisnonstop, it's not worth getting upset about. I don't even really know why I took the time to reply to this topic, this is a pretty useless convo. Cudaeh doesn't like when people uses stages to describe what kind of modifications someone has and I'm pretty sure no matter what anybody says he isn't going to change his mind. Plus him saying that using stages to describe a car is dumb isn't going to keep others from using them to describe their cars. This is a waste of time.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
by the way, I'm Stage 2.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I completely agree. Whenever someone says they are stage x I usually just walk away because I know I won't care what they are really doing to their car. If they can't tell me exactly what they are modding, then its obvious they don't care about making their car faster, they only care about bragging and that gets no respect from me.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by nKoan
I completely agree. Whenever someone says they are stage x I usually just walk away because I know I won't care what they are really doing to their car. If they can't tell me exactly what they are modding, then its obvious they don't care about making their car faster, they only care about bragging and that gets no respect from me.

I wanna hear a list. I don't wanna hear, "I have Stage 3 done to my car!" That still leaves me thinking, "That's great. Now WTF is Stage 3?"

I can understand if someone says, "I have Cobb's Stage 2 package," or "I have Cobb's Stage 2 package that consists of....."

Last edited by Sinister Subaru; 03-19-2006 at 02:14 AM.

Quick Reply: sick of the whole 'stages' thing