Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Pre-owned STi. Any less abused then EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 09:19 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

The way I look at it is your always taking that chance when you buy used.... Is it worth saving the extra $$$$ to you... that's the main question...

Also depends on the owner... When I traded my wrx in for my sti I knew who ever was going to get my wrx was going to love it because i babied the damn car...lol... hardly went about 4k rpms, never launched, dougnuts (on gravel)..etc..

I have a friend that owns an STI... nice guy, takes pretty good care of his car... no scratches, dents..etc But when he's around other people he likes to "show" off... one night it was raining so he just started doing doughnuts on the wet pavement... smoking all 4 tires... to me that is abuse.. to others it may not...
Going 120mph may see like abuse to some but to others it may not...

Can't really make up a decision for ya...sorry, it's just a matter of is it worth saving the extra couple thousands?

-Nigel
Old 05-26-2005, 09:51 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza Wagon... 1.8 Litres of fury!
If i were buying a used STI i'd look for one for sale by a private party, so you can meet them, and take a drive with them, and make sure it's not some kid who owned the car. If that's not an option, CLOSELY inspect the car, and drive it around for like an hour. Look at the tires, see if theyre maybe the stock RE070's and what kind of wear they show, if they dealer didn't replace them... Take a look at the fender liners, to see if there is rubber stuck to them, look at the undercarriage etc. Put your gloves on and give that baby the complete inspection

As far as either an STI or Evo, I'm not sure... I've seen both being babied and both being THRASHED. My friend had an evo, and he let like 50 different people thrash on it. Including myself. I haven't driven an STI but the Evo felt really good.

Anyway good luck.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:16 AM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Depends on the owner.

I'd shy away from one if I could afford a new one (even if it's a stretch) because fixing stuff that breaks is gonna cost more than a new one

Ask em to launch it and show you what it feels like. If they do then you know they've done it on their own, if they say no, that's abuse, then it's a good sign.

Tell em to show you what it can do... and if they go crazy with it you know they've driven it hard.

I've never launched my car, but I've been to 6 track days with it. I don't have extreme mods on my car (tuning and turboback). But I do drive harder than I would in a Prius. It's all about expectations.