Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

a poor man's upgrade path- feel free to comment

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 03:16 PM

Car Info: 03 RS- aspen white, 5 speed
a poor man's upgrade path- feel free to comment

i hope to get a job over the summer(though am not sure how well this will work out because i am in college in NC and my parents are moving to oregon midway through summer...) and if i can make enough money i will try to get some better parts for my car.

i have a 2003 2.5rs (5MT), and am not really concerned about more power- i know my car is weak and likened to molassess but that's just not something i care about. i drive sensibly and at 19 don't want to go fast. i've never gotten a ticket and insurance would rape me if that were to happen.

I DO however love the handling of the GD chassis, and want to use all the available income i can get to make my car outhandle most cars on the road- i don't plan on autox or anything, i just want a car that is capable of such if i decide to in the future. i also have a good back(i'm 19) and don't care about discomfort while driving on poorly maintained roads(which are aplenty around the piedmont triad area where i attend college).

so... enough small talk...

THE PLAN...

first modification would be Tein Basic coilovers. since i don't mind a harsh ride, i don't want to spend 300+ more for dampening adjustablility, but since i will be driving this car in all sorts of climates, i really need the height adjustability of a full coilover suspension if i want to lower my car below stock height.

after the Tein Basics i will have to get rid of the RE92s. depending on my income, i might go for Ecsta 711s on some rota attacks, but if i'm still poor, i'll just get them stretched over my stock rims.

depending on how much strain this puts on my car, i might go the route of some sti -n mounts with perrin endlinks, then throw a cusco V-brace in the back and an adjustable front brace under the hood.

this is where i need some opinion.

should i throw braces on my car once it is equipped with the coilovers or do you think the chassis is stiff enough to handle the severe increase in spring rate and shock dampening pressure?

if i don't feel the need to put braces all over i could spend the money on headers and a small diameter catback system.

the question i'm asking is will the GD body do well with tein basics or will it seem sloppy with no other suspension reinforcements?

feel free to move this to suspension if needed.

after all of that's done, i'll probably go for a short shifter and some exterior parts(tasteful lip, not quite as tasteful OEM style CF hood) but i'm not expecting to have the funds to get that far until next year.

i already have a head unit waiting for me to get around to installing it, but i don't think i'll be doing any "ice" mods before i take care of my suspension desires.

if i get rotas, i'll get locking lugs and feel way more secure that my suspension won't get jacked...
Old 04-21-2004, 12:41 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black/Gold STi
too long to read.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:47 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
the first thing i would change is tires, and if you have the cash, wheels at the same time (for me this was the single biggest difference in handling, RE92s are horrid in everything except for sliding, which is fun when you want to, not so fun when you don't want to )...

after that i would throw on a larger rear sway bar to get rid of some of that understeer.

after that i would do the coilovers, the strut bars dont do much, the rear did more for me than the front did (also putting on a front strut tower bar made MORE understeer so i got rid of it).

good luck and have fun!!!:banana:

Last edited by Keisatsu; 04-21-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:49 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
ner... ignore i hit quote instead of edit...
Old 04-21-2004, 02:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
you have some great ideas, but that sure doesn't seem like the poorman's path, that path includes some pricey stuff lol