Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Pontiac GTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 10:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
The new GTO is NOT an American car!

According to an article I read, the "new" GTO is 100% GM Australia, "upgraded" to California emissions. I'll see if I can track down the article, but I'm certain this is an Australian car.

EDIT: Here's the link to the thread which quotes some auto mag as saying it is an Australian design:

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...ht=Pontiac+GTO

Last edited by meilers; 01-20-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by meilers
The new GTO is NOT an American car!

According to an article I read, the "new" GTO is 100% GM Australia, "upgraded" to California emissions. I'll see if I can track down the article, but I'm certain this is an Australian car.

EDIT: Here's the link to the thread which quotes some auto mag as saying it is an Australian design:

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...ht=Pontiac+GTO
The drivetrain is pure Detroit, but the rest of the car ain't. You're absolutely right that this is an Aussie import. GM Australia (Holden) markets this car as the Monaro, and it has a pretty lengthy rep down under.
I've gotta hand it to them, Holden brought it back home with authority.This here GTO is essentially a left hand drive Holden Monaro with a few tweaks. Hey, if the shoe fits........

Last edited by The Mirror; 01-20-2004 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by downshift
why would u wanna abuse ur tranny with monster burnouts?

burnouts are only useful for warming up the slicks before a drag race. burnouts are to gain better traction.. something AWD has already.

the STi will have something the GTO never had, DCCD, driver center control differential, can u say RWD mode?

ever hear an STi catless open downpipe? sounds krazier than a v8! lol
For STi destroying, 400hp/2800lb. tubeframe racecar thrills on a road course, I personally recommend this. Rear wheel drive, naturally.....

www.drivetech.com
Old 01-21-2004, 01:38 AM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
at the end the v8 is gona pull, thats simple law of physics.

8 cylinder vs 4. its just sad the 4 cylinder is doing so much damage.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:57 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan 5spd
Hey downshift you'd have to be a fan of musclecars to appreciate the monster burnout. And in a RWD car the only damage to your car is tires and maybe a little bit more engine strain. It does not damage the tranny cuz the wheels are spinning. The reason that AWD cars eat the trannies when you try to break the tires loose is because an all wheel drive car will not break the tires loose easily and transmit all the force into the transmission.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:54 PM

yes i kno that either way it is still abusing the tranny. it might not break, but it definitely puts a lot of strain which it can resist. yet there is always gona be wear and tear. just depends how gradual or how soon.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:57 PM

i am a fan of muscle cars just as i am a fan of forced induction.

my favorite muscle car is the nissan skyline GTR r34. my favorite fourbanger is the EJ20.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:31 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan 5spd
Doing a burnout is not any harder on the transmission than normal driving. Once the gears are meshed the transmission is essentially part of the drive shaft as far as forces are concerned. As a mechanical engineering student I have a pretty good grasp on what stresses and strains different mechanical parts will see.

And dude a skyline is not a muscle car. Muscle car is something like 1970 Chevelle SS or 1969 Plymouth Road Runner et.all.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by downshift

my favorite muscle car is the nissan skyline GTR r34.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:10 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
downshift, you are saying some really goofy things in this thread.

That 5.3 0-60 time comes on a rear wheel drive sedan on ALL-SEASON TIRES. Put some S03s or BFG KDs or god forbid some drag slicks on there, and it's bye-bye STi. At least a stock one.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:04 PM

lol yea well i still call the r34 a muscle car because its capable of very high hp on stock block, but yea plymouths.. novas... carborator cars then.... i guess im not a a real muscle car fan.

5.3 secons 0-60? lol

bye bye muscle car.. STi 4 seconds baby!
Old 01-25-2004, 06:37 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
My friend lives in Austrilia and owns the 4dr version of this car, we are getting something different then they get he said the car is extremly fast for a 4dr....His son's love it plus it's black..Don't knock it till you try it. Torque wins every time..
Old 01-26-2004, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by silver satin
Torque wins every time..
Heh, as does normally aspirated throttle response!

Would that be the HSV your buddy has?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:43 AM

With all said, the GTO is definatley a move in the right direction for Pontiac. Although I'm not much a fan of modern muscle cars (with the exception of the ZO6) I do love the old muscle cars like the GTO, Cuda, Baracuda, Charger, Shelby GT 350 and 500 and a few more. IMO, the new GTO looks like a Grand Prix which is definatley a down side, but I do find the all the power and the Aussie influence very impressive. Also, the interior looks extremely nice unlike other GM models. Ultimatley I think the GTO is a pretty nice ride if that particular style is what your looking for and the price is competetive to other models of it's caliber.

The good side of the GTO production along with the production of other high-performance economical cars is that it allows us as consumers to have a wider choice of cool cars to pick from. At the same time, it forces car companies to increase performance numbers on their cars. Just take a look around, 215hp neons, 300 hp 4-bangers and and factory cars that can run 13's out of the box. We haven't had it this good in at least 20 years. Hopefully the *** companies will start to bring over more of their high-HP machines like the Skylines and Supra's.

-SZ
Old 04-05-2004, 11:17 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
The GTO is a great car. 350 to the wheels. Thats fun. Plus now they are contending with the d1 drift cars. wow. Just like the CTS-V, its a fun as hell car.

Quick Reply: Pontiac GTO