Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Newbie Question: Most aftermarket potential - Sti or EVO??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:32 AM

Car Info: WRX STi 2004
Cool Newbie Question: Most aftermarket potential - Sti or EVO??

new here. was just wondering what car has the most tuning potential w/out changing stock internals. A friend of mine told me the EVO has the most "proven" potential but I refuse to beleive it. Someone please prove me right.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:44 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Horsepower wise, they are equal in terms of daily-driver, real-world type modding. For all-out drag strip attack motors, Evo hands down.

Showroom stock, the Evo has some advantages in handling and feel, but a few mild mods to the STi (strut tops, springs, steering rack bushings) puts it right there with the Evo.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:08 AM

so in other words for a daily driver - they are equal in potential, and for a drag monster you would reccomend the EVO?
Old 09-23-2004, 01:27 PM

For a drag monster i think the STI is maybe better....
1) The sti has a stronger driveline, the diffs/transfer case can hold 700+ hp......the clutch will hold 500 hp...were as the EVOs let loose @ 400hp..if u wanna run faster then mid 12's, u gotta spend bank on a clutch kit/install.
2)A well done STI will come out of the hole stronger then a EVO...period, due to gearing, susupension. Its takes less mph to run the same ET as a EVO.
3)The larger motor size can make more power with less boost...but as of yet many shops r still feeling out the limits of a STI motor.
Either way both cars r GREAT
EVO is better setup for road racing...the sti for drag, if u have the right parts...both r so close it depends on taste.
Mark
Old 09-23-2004, 02:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
evo can get more power to the dollar than the sti
Old 09-23-2004, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by MARKSTI
For a drag monster i think the STI is maybe better....
1) The sti has a stronger driveline, the diffs/transfer case can hold 700+ hp......the clutch will hold 500 hp...were as the EVOs let loose @ 400hp..if u wanna run faster then mid 12's, u gotta spend bank on a clutch kit/install.
2)A well done STI will come out of the hole stronger then a EVO...period, due to gearing, susupension. Its takes less mph to run the same ET as a EVO.
3)The larger motor size can make more power with less boost...but as of yet many shops r still feeling out the limits of a STI motor.
Either way both cars r GREAT
EVO is better setup for road racing...the sti for drag, if u have the right parts...both r so close it depends on taste.
Mark
1) The STi needs a replacement clutch over 400 hp too.

2)Trap speed vs. E.T. is a function of torque in the low end vs. top end power, not so much drag launching abilities. Evos cut 1.6-1.7 60 foot times regularly.

3)The larger motor size isn't an advantage in drag racing. Peak power is all about turbo sizing. All the dsisplacement does is determine at what RPM range peak power is made, and in drag racing you want to make power as high up as possible. The Evo actually has 3 major advantages for peak power output: Displacement, which allows you to make a given turbo's peak power with more RPMs so you can use shorter gearing. Shorter intake runners, which restrict flow less at high boost/high rpms. Shorter exhaust manifold an dno uppipe, which helps more exhaust energy go into spinning the turbine instead of being lost as heat/kinetic loss.

You're right though, as driving tools, both cars are excellent. The more you mod them though, the different they are. I say hands down the STi is better as a primary car, but for a track toy, the Evo is often a better choice.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by SsTiNgEr77
evo can get more power to the dollar than the sti
Only because Evos do okay with just an MBC and turboback. Would be nice if you could put an STi in the low 12s that easy.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
which is the trizzuth
Old 09-23-2004, 11:47 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Only because Evos do okay with just an MBC and turboback. Would be nice if you could put an STi in the low 12s that easy.
Thats sorta becuase mitsu put alot of very strong internals into their motor correct?

As i understand its a high compression high boost engine with a ton of very good quality internals that can handle more load than they are actually putting into it. Sorta like that fabled supra motor.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
1) The STi needs a replacement clutch over 400 hp too.

2)Trap speed vs. E.T. is a function of torque in the low end vs. top end power, not so much drag launching abilities. Evos cut 1.6-1.7 60 foot times regularly.

3)The larger motor size isn't an advantage in drag racing. Peak power is all about turbo sizing. All the dsisplacement does is determine at what RPM range peak power is made, and in drag racing you want to make power as high up as possible. The Evo actually has 3 major advantages for peak power output: Displacement, which allows you to make a given turbo's peak power with more RPMs so you can use shorter gearing. Shorter intake runners, which restrict flow less at high boost/high rpms. Shorter exhaust manifold an dno uppipe, which helps more exhaust energy go into spinning the turbine instead of being lost as heat/kinetic loss.

You're right though, as driving tools, both cars are excellent. The more you mod them though, the different they are. I say hands down the STi is better as a primary car, but for a track toy, the Evo is often a better choice.
Don't handicap out STI's...
1) Do some research...on this one, the EVO clutch is WEAKKK..the STIsss STRONG..simple...guys have run high 11's/low 12's all day long on STI factory clutches...not EVOs.Check the EVO boards and u shall find out.
2)The STI launches harder,go out to the track and see both car with skilled drivers and u'll know what i mean..., launching is also measured more then just the first 60 ft, the gearing on the STI transmission/suspension setup give it a advantage out of the hole....Come out the Shootout in late Oct. @ Sac. raceway, to see
3)Factory air intakes, exhuast,turbo setups etc.. ... many times r the first things changed, but the STI's advantage of having 25% more displacement is GREAT....The big draw back of the STI is that its bottom can't handle much over 550-580 crank HP..unlike the SUPER block of the EVO....which can take 700hp.
Power curves change when u go with aftermarket turbo/engine tuning, therefore, my 2.5 currently has a power curve close to what a EVO has...with a STRONG top end.,,unlike the dead top-rpm power it had stock.
In the big picture, with the new turbo setups out and tuning..we are starting to see street STIs that can go toe to toe with moded EVO..things are really coming along for the subbys..

Catch u @ the race track, .
Mark

Last edited by MARKSTI; 09-24-2004 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:47 PM

Car Info: 02 Turbo Jetta,EVO
This again is a really hard decission to make just because first off.. We are in a SUBARU website.. and people will always have their ideas/debate on why they chose the STi over the EVO. Well with that said, I can again tell you that its your preference .. You have to drive them both.. It is ULTIMATELY what YOU are looking for in the overall ride/handling/features.. I have driven both .. I chose to go with an EVO just because with 19 psi at hand stock .. vs. 14.5 psi (STi) To me I like the feel the turbo right off the get go..
Again.. don't get me wrong .. I am by no means knocking the STi.. the STi is a powerful car. Like "BANSUVS" was saying earlier, you want a straight line BEAST!!! Get an STi.. You want a car that handles like an ice skater!! gracefully on curves.. then the EVO is the one for you .. Ultmately(Like everyone is saying) Both cars are true Performance machines!!!
Old 09-24-2004, 03:49 PM

Car Info: 02 Turbo Jetta,EVO
better yet.. I also own a 2004 WRX and I love the hell out of it... Thinking about upgrading to an STi.. Who Knows
Old 09-24-2004, 07:02 PM

yeah. I guess I'll just hit up the local Mitsu dealer tomorrow and test drive one.
thanks for the help on this.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez
yeah. I guess I'll just hit up the local Mitsu dealer tomorrow and test drive one.
thanks for the help on this.
.....make sure u get a 05 EVo or STI...since both are refined/improved compared to their 04 counterparts....
Good luck
Mark
Old 09-25-2004, 01:17 AM

Wink

Either an MR or 05' STi..

Quick Reply: Newbie Question: Most aftermarket potential - Sti or EVO??