Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

new owner, first time poster, couple quick modification questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:45 PM

Car Info: 2006 impreza 2.5
Question new owner, first time poster, couple quick modification questions

hello all,
This is my first time in a Subaru forum. I bought the basic model impreza, 2006. I love it. I deliver pizza as a job when not attending college classes, and I went with the subaru for tank-like longevity, and the AWD in my harsh winter climate (rochester, NY). I have a very basic understanding of the inner-workings of a car, and how they inter-relate.... definitely not educated enough to diagnose or fix problems, or do any maintenance outside of an oil change or something simple. I do have a couple quick questions regarding modifications, and am hoping somebody here will be helpful enough to answer.

1.) What's the general consensus on the mod-chips I can find on e-bay? the ones for around $30. Junk? Will they basically do nothin, or worse, is it possible they'll damage my car in the long run?

2.) if I want to install HID lighting, do I need to buy an entire kit (ballasts, wiring, etc), or is it possible to install xenon headlights directly into the headlamp? (once again, looking at the cheap xenon bulbs on ebay)

3.) Is there a high-flow intake filter, or better, a cold-air intake that is meant to be installed on the basic impreza? If so, what kind of HP gains can I expect?

Thanks to all in advance for helping me out. I definitely look forward to spending a little more time researching subarus, and gaining some general automotive information. take care,

Old 09-29-2006, 03:03 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SuByNoObIe
hello all,
This is my first time in a Subaru forum. I bought the basic model impreza, 2006. I love it. I deliver pizza as a job when not attending college classes, and I went with the subaru for tank-like longevity, and the AWD in my harsh winter climate (rochester, NY). I have a very basic understanding of the inner-workings of a car, and how they inter-relate.... definitely not educated enough to diagnose or fix problems, or do any maintenance outside of an oil change or something simple. I do have a couple quick questions regarding modifications, and am hoping somebody here will be helpful enough to answer.

1.) What's the general consensus on the mod-chips I can find on e-bay? the ones for around $30. Junk? Will they basically do nothin, or worse, is it possible they'll damage my car in the long run?

2.) if I want to install HID lighting, do I need to buy an entire kit (ballasts, wiring, etc), or is it possible to install xenon headlights directly into the headlamp? (once again, looking at the cheap xenon bulbs on ebay)

3.) Is there a high-flow intake filter, or better, a cold-air intake that is meant to be installed on the basic impreza? If so, what kind of HP gains can I expect?

Thanks to all in advance for helping me out. I definitely look forward to spending a little more time researching subarus, and gaining some general automotive information. take care,

Forget 1st two. Junk.

3. Perform a 'snorkel delete' and use a non oiled high flow filter (STI/HKS). Oiled filters (Green/K&N) can and do foul our MAF sensors. Search here for the delete instructions or go to scoobymods.com

Welcome. Research long and hard each mod you are thinking of and you will only do each ONCE and save yourself much grief and money!

Oh, and if you want a great learning tool about lighting (bulbs) go here with a beer and learn. Cut to the chase? Asian bulbs = junk...

www.danielsternlighting.com

Last edited by NW OBS; 09-29-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:11 PM

Car Info: 98/05 RSTi
I drove my '02 WRX for pizza delivery for about 3 years ... and have done some mods to my car.
You're gonna love your car as soon as it snows.
As for lights ... just get a 3 or 5 D cell maglight ... it's easier and better
I don't know of any chips for the base impreza ... but look around .. someone shoud know something for you
Check out K&N fliters and intakes ... i've been running a drop in on my WRX for 3 yrs without problems ... as long as you don't over oil them you're fine

Good luck
Old 10-17-2006, 05:50 AM

I've been running a drop-in K&N now since I purchased my car. I haven't had any problems with it.