Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Need some information

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 06:06 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Question

What are you driving?
Old 12-28-2002, 08:34 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX TurboXS Stage 4
First off, READ. Look through the posts under FACTORY TURBO. Take your time and read through them. This will give you a good idea of what others are doing to make their WRXs faster. If you want to do things the "right" way you should probably start off by purchasing a good aftermarket turbo-back exhaust, $1,000.00+. You see, most modifications (other than No2) will only be as good as the weakest link in the chain. Having a freer flowing exhaust will open the door getting more power out of following modifications and give you less lag and a very noticeable difference in power by itself. If you want you could start with just a performance muffler, that should be enough to overcome a stock 3000, then you could purchase additional exhaust pieces singularly or a kit without the muffler. But the best thing to do is read the forums. This way you will learn about different options and their benefits and hazards.
I would need to know what year and what mods the cars you want to beat are running to know what you would need to beat them. If its a stock 3000 it should be just your equal so the launch will be the most important factor (you could drop the clutch with the RPMs at 5500 and smoke his *** out of the whole but you could also mess up your drivetrain. I don’t recommend this). If it's modified you will probably need the equivalent mods or a single high power mod like No2. I am not a fan of Nitros and if I were to use it, it would be the final mod. I like power that is there under all conditions and doesn't have to be re-filled. Good luck and don't let mean spirited comments get you down, we all start some place. Just remember, tuning cars is a learning process and if you want to do it well and right your going to have to do research (most of which can be done right here at I-CLUB). Take your time and go with what’s right for you. The best thing to do is decide what you want from your car in terms of drivability, power, fuel consumption and reliability, then decide what your willing to give up to attain what you want (don’t be to quick to give up drivability for power, you may not like it and it is possible to get good drivability and low lag whilst increasing power.). Ask questions about specific upgrades or combinations of upgrades and look at all the alternatives.
This may not be the answer you wanted but I hope it helps.
Good luck.