Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Mastering Maserati Mayhem

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 12:15 PM

Car Info: 02 Black WRX and 07 White A3 S-Line
Mastering Maserati Mayhem

CAN IT GET MUCH BETTER than this for lovers of all things Latin? One or two days of controlled and purposeful foolery on the track down the road from Dallara, accompanied by thoroughly remarkable Romagnolo cuisine by night, plus the chance to get all chummy with drivers whose names you may know (lead instructor is 1992 Ferrari F1 driver and 2002 European GT champ Ivan Capelli).

We just put ourselves through the two-day version of the Maserati GT Master driving course at Autodromo Riccardo Paletti in Varano deˇ¦ Melegari, Italy. Using 11 coupes and three spyders of both the GT and Cambiocorsa varieties, 24 students are divided into four groups of six and 10 instructors are assigned to lead. The first step is for the instructors to see your on-track bag of tricks, then you go through several safety and skills seminars and proceed to hotter and hotter laps. The primary goal is to become a better driver through loads of hands-on work and feedback. A secondary goal is to get the Maseratis to be the best cars they possibly can be in your hands, whether with Anti-Skid Regulation (ASR) on or off, and whether in Sport or Normal drive mode. Your driving stints are videotaped, and telemetry readouts are provided after each hot-lap session.

The center of attention is the 1.48-mile circuitˇXsmall but very sweet. There are 14 curves to execute and, no matter whether a hairpin or a fast S-turn, the instructors insist that the whole thing can be done best using just third and fourth gears, second being too short to give you any advantage and fifth being unattainable on this tight circuit. Given the fairly soft suspension setup as well, you discover a slightly different strategy for turns. Brake hard early, let up into the turn as you approach wider than you think is best, turn in smoothly, accelerate gradually out. No punching the accelerator as that sort of Enzo response just isnˇ¦t there and only slows you down. Similarly, abrupt steering habits simply serve to accentuate the comfier suspension characteristics of all stock Maseratis
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2003, 12:16 PM

Car Info: 02 Black WRX and 07 White A3 S-Line
Extra fun and learning happen at the slide machine and power oversteer clinics. In the former, you roll onto a wet painted-metal platform at between 20 and 25 mph in second gear with ASR on and the platform is shunted abruptly to the left or right. Then you have to do your level best to keep things pointed straight with countersteer. The latter clinic involves switching ASR off and simply gunning the 390-horsepower GT through a set of wide, slightly wet, cone-lined turns to create oversteer and to further test your countersteering skills. We could have happily done both of these all dayˇXgood training for your next drifting contest.

Unless itˇ¦s part of a bigger trip, the one-day session at roughly $2,500 without airfare seems a little silly if youˇ¦re traveling from North America. Nice hotel, meals, graft and all other standard needs are included in the price. The two-day session at around $3,200 includes more of the bells and whistles we want (i.e. lots more track time with professional feedback and more chances to eat prosciutto and parmigiano in the home of both), and satisfies the hunger for as many telemetry-monitored lap sessions as possible. Worth it? You betchyer lap time. The ideal lap on this course in these cars is given as 1:31.12. We started at a sloppy 1:39.39 and improved steadily to a 1:32.31. If weˇ¦d had that third dayˇK
Attached Thumbnails Mastering Maserati Mayhem-1208rev-m5.jpg  
Old 12-05-2003, 02:11 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Legacy L 5-speed
NICE! I wish I could go to that