Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Make your own boost controller!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 07:03 PM

Car Info: GG IX MR
Post Make your own boost controller!

My friend found this site on how to make a manual boost controller. Heres the site http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/mbc.html

Tell me what you guys think.

Dave
Old 01-19-2004, 07:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
This one is going to show up in the i-Club Yearbook under the heading:

Most Likely to Blow Your Engine to Tiny Pieces and Shame You In Front Of Your Friends

I mean c'mon, I am as cheap as the next guy, but price the cost of replacing a turbocharger ($800+labor) or an entire engine ($8,000) vs the cost of a real MBC ($150) or even a SAFE Cobb Reflash ($400). Penny wise, POUND FOOLISH as my father loves to say. A manual boost controller is a dumb idea even if it comes from a reputable manufacturer; Subaru spent many years developing and testing that ECU module in your passenger side footwell for a reason.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:55 PM

Car Info: GG IX MR
Originally posted by meilers

manual boost controller is a dumb idea even if it comes from a reputable manufacturer; Subaru spent many years developing and testing that ECU module in your passenger side footwell for a reason.
Good point.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Don't get me wrong, I love homegrown solutions! My friends and I have built some pretty crazy stuff from scratch (including turning a 10-speed bike into a trebuchet -- LONG STORY)...

...but the MBC, well, I speak from secondhand experience I watched a friend destroy his nice new Dodge SRT-4 in about three months by running 22psi in 2nd gear with an off-the-shelf manual boost controller. Watching that think smoke the front wheels (FORGET trying to turn left if you were on the gas :torque steer: ) was amazing, but ultimately costly.