Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

LS1 Powered RX7? Your opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 08:57 AM

Question LS1 Powered RX7? Your opinions?

I'm curious what you Suby guys think of this swap. The FD3S (93-95) RX7 with an small block chevy 350ci (5.7liter) V8 out of the Camaro/Firebird.

Now it's been proven time and time again that the weight distribution and total weight of the car are not changed. Handling is the same. And the stock rearend on the RX7 can handle the torque of a V8.

So how does it sound to everyone? A 2800lbs 350rwhp V8 with tons of torque and stock RX7 handling.

(I'm asking here because the RX7 guys get bent all out of shape if you take out the rotary engine)
Old 07-10-2003, 09:44 AM

Car Info: 2004 Black Wrx
Im sure its more reliable, but i gotta agree with the rotoryheads, it is gonna take the fun out of the car. As far as weight goes, are you sure about that? A chevy 350 weighs a hell of a lot more than a rotary engine. Do you have an Rx or are you just asking about this? Beyond needing to make lots of custom brackets, fittings, whatever, there are gonna be problems with cooling and such.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:18 AM

The weight isn't changed. The LS1 has an aluminum head and block. Once you rip out the 13B-REW, the twin (heavy) turbos and all the controls and associated junk for those turbos the weight is identical.

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/

Check out this link for more detailed information. Brian Hinson makes all the parts you need for the swap. Custom engine cradle, tranny brace, drive shafts, etc...

And his work is heralded as some of the cleanest around. Be sure to check out the videos too. His "mule" car runs a 11.9 @ 119mph in the video.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:54 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
sounds like a hell of a lot of fun to me, plus you have to love the rumble of a V-8 motor. it'd be kinda like a modern day hybrid Shelby Cobra, or a poor man's Panoz.

as long as you can get any cooling issues sorted out, and the drivetrain will handle it, i can't see any reason not to.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:00 AM

Yeah it's not a bad swap. An aftermarket radiator handles cooling. I also plan to do a 99Spec conversion. And 99Spec front bumper provides 33% more cooling than the original

The drivetrain can handle over 700rwhp no problem. The tranny will be the stock T56 6 Speed manual from the Camaro/Firebird, Viper, and Corvette. And we all know how stong those are. I'm debating converting the rearend to a Ford Cobra 8.8" instead of the stock 8" Mazda rear. Not for strength, but for a lighter box and a better ratio.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:07 AM

Car Info: 98 RS
Thats a pretty cool swap and i would like to see how it all comes out. Turbo the LS1 eeehaaaaa!
Old 07-10-2003, 11:18 AM

Why? The LS1 makes enough power without turbos.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:46 PM

I know that "Jimlabs" is using a 8.8" Ford Cobra rear end. But he's making custom mounts and all.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:10 PM

Car Info: 02' Black Wgn
did someone say enough power?

with attitudes like that we would have never seen the shelby cobra, turbo 911, or any over the top hotrod for that matter. I believe enough power is in the eye of the beholder. I say pop the top off that bad boy and throw a super charger her way, lets see what that thing will do then
Old 07-10-2003, 03:48 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
did someone say enough power?

with attitudes like that we would have never seen the shelby cobra, turbo 911, or any over the top hotrod for that matter. I believe enough power is in the eye of the beholder. I say pop the top off that bad boy and throw a super charger her way, lets see what that thing will do then
ah, you gotta love power junkies. i'm of the opinion that it's not so much having 'enough power' but useable power. for a daily driven street car, i reckon an RX-7 with 400hp on tap from an LS1 would be pretty close to 'enough.' i'd imagine that with more than that, tires and rear ends would start to have their lifespan seriously shortened. it's no fun having 600hp+ if you're frequently breaking things in the driveline, is it? not to mention that it'd be too much for mere mortals to drive in anything but a straight line...

then again, i do have to admit that nothing exceeds like excess, espescially in the power department.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:02 PM

Car Info: 2001 sub. imp.
i call dibs on the 20B
Old 07-10-2003, 08:05 PM

You can have the 20B. The cost of swapping that engine into an FD is greater than the LS1 conversion. And you won't solve the problems with the RX7. Those being lack of low end torque and Apex seals that like to disappear.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:07 PM

BTW, 400-450hp will be my goal. And even then I might give it a 50shot of the laughing gas just for 1/4 runs. But I doubt it. With 400rwhp I'll have enough to beat Vipers and Z06's but not so much that my car will be undrivable.

Quick Reply: LS1 Powered RX7? Your opinions?