Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Just Got An '03 WRX! (new to driving a stick, too)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 09:45 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
Exclamation Just Got An '03 WRX!

I just got a 2003 WRX today in WR Blue. Its frieken awsome! I have never driven a stick b4 and i'm having a bit if a tough time. The whole clutch thing is killing me, lol. I was actually wondering is if the clutch and tranny are tough enough to handle a new stick driver. I don't wanna do anything stupid. Let me know your thoughts, thanks...
Old 06-03-2005, 09:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Yeah they'll be strong enough to handle a new driver, just DO NOT drop the clutch from RPM. The transmission won't handle much of that
Old 06-03-2005, 10:31 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by Turbo86
I just got a 2003 WRX today in WR Blue. Its frieken awsome! I have never driven a stick b4 and i'm having a bit if a tough time. The whole clutch thing is killing me, lol.
Congrats on your purchase!

As for the clutch, practice makes perfect. Don't be embarrassed to find an empty lot or quiet street with no kids around and practice starting off from a dead stop. The key to long clutch life is slipping the clutch enough to get underway but not so much that it burns up the clutch friction materials, which shortens the life of the clutch.

One bad habit that some new stick drivers fall into is 'riding' the clutch with their left foot while driving. This causes a constant drag on the throwout bearing and can also partially disengage the clutch while driving, again causing premature failure.

You might try a search of the Car Lounge forum. Other Impreza owners have found themselves in a similar situation and have gotten responses from other members.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-03-2005, 11:35 PM

congrats! and as far as driving i think they all hit the nail on the head. Dont get into the habit of dropping the clutch and practice makes perfect.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:25 AM

Car Info: 04 Toyota Tacoma
Is it just me or was the WRX harder to drive than most stick cars? I had to sorta learn again lol. I'm so used to the WRX that I don't know if I can drive another stick car yet.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:58 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
i hear ya. first time i tried to drive my 05 i killed it (it's been a while since i dealt with three pedals down there). the clutch is very stiff on the wrx, which i feel is a good thing

other ricer-mobiles have those real 'buttery' clutches...booo
Old 06-04-2005, 01:01 PM

Car Info: 04 Toyota Tacoma
Yeah the WRX's clutch pedal is t3h st1ff, but I love it like that, very sporty. The first month my left leg used to get tired because of the pedal, lol.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:34 PM

the best tip i got....

i was new to a stick too when i bought my wrx(i had a few lessons on a civic before hand), i was amazed at how much easier it was to drive the wrx compared to the honda. the best tip anyone gave me when i was starting out was to go to a relatively flat area, put the car in reverse and let up on the clutch just enough for the car to begin to roll backwards. once you can do that without any problems you shouldnt have much trouble handling any situation.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by xenophobe2020
i was new to a stick too when i bought my wrx(i had a few lessons on a civic before hand), i was amazed at how much easier it was to drive the wrx compared to the honda.
u kidding me ...for me the wrx took major getting used to ...its so different from honduhs
Old 06-07-2005, 08:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I learned to drive stick in my 2000 Ford Focus...yeah I rode the clutch and yeah it was screwed up.

Basically, at the point that I bought my WRX...the clutch on the Ford was so bad that I would drive and get almost no power to the ground because the clutch was just not grabbing (probably was at about 40% strength at that point). So yeah, be gentle on the clutch and take your foot off of it...it is NOT a foot rest.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:22 AM

i think the reason the wrx was so much easier for me than the honda was:

1. the shifter in the wrx really snaps into gear and it is very easy to transition up through the gears . the honda was really all over the place for me and i had a hard time going through the gears without looking at the shifter.

2.the clutch on the honda was really loose because it had many more miles on it.

between those two things the honda felt really sloppy and it was hard for me to get used too, the wrx i had pretty much down in about a week.

another tip i dont think anyone has said yet(even though it sounds really stupid), if your having a hard time shifting through the gears, turn the car off and sit in your driveway and shift till you can do it without thinking too much.