Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

How would an STi hold up in Nascar

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 PM

How would an STi hold up in Nascar

apples and oranges, but it would make a great TV spot. even WRC vs. Nascar would be cool. which one is tougher one the car, Driver, etc.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by Sausage Mahoney
apples and oranges, but it would make a great TV spot. even WRC vs. Nascar would be cool. which one is tougher one the car, Driver, etc.
It would only make a great TV spot if it was highly exaggerated. A WRC STI would do as poorly on an oval track as a NASCAR car would do on a rough gravel mountain road. That's what "purpose-built racecar" means.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:03 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
first off i wanna make clear that i in no way support nascrap.

unfortunately any nascar would own an impreza wrc. nascars go over 190mph around a the track most wrc's go about 160mph tops, then again if we're talking about off-road...well...that's a whole nother story, lol.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:42 PM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
see i think it would be much more intresting to see how the wrc fan would stack up agenst the nascar fan.... im not too sure but i think the wrc fan would have him beat on tooth count.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:06 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Originally Posted by cudaeh
see i think it would be much more intresting to see how the wrc fan would stack up agenst the nascar fan.... im not too sure but i think the wrc fan would have him beat on tooth count.
what if said wrc fan was also a soccer hooligan? you know those crazy europeans!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Well if you were to build an STi for oval track use...I think it'd own on weight alone.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:02 PM

https://www.i-club.com/forums/attach...chmentid=42220

how about this one...?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
on a road course or track i think that would win...but oval track like daytona it couldnt match up to nascar.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dice
on a road course or track i think that would win...but oval track like daytona it couldnt match up to nascar.
I think otherwise, The Cusco Impreza has far more advanced engineering in it and over the average Sti, its something fierce. If you put that car part for part in Indy 500, my money would be on it. Assuming of course some hick wasn't behind the wheel. Maybe Jeff Gordon.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
So, you'd race that car against a 230 MPH, 700-horsepower, 10,000 RPM redline, tube-frame, titanium bodied purpose-built racer?

I don't think you meant Indy 500, which is of course raced by Indy cars.

Since you said Jeff Gordon (who is of course a NASCAR hick) I assume you meant the Race of Champions or the Daytona 500. Regardless, a NASCAR would kick the crap out of the Cusco STI every inch of that race.

You (and the person who started this thread) really need to read this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/nascar.htm

I don't care how many bolt-ons and additions you make to any model Impreza, it would never compete in an oval track or curved track race with a purpose-built, tube-framed from the ground up racer. The idea is just idiocy. A 5.7-liter V8 is just a superior engine for putting out 700hp for 3 to 5 hours straight, and doesn't need boost to do so.

Ask yourself: why are there no official AWD-only road race or drag race classes? Oh, because AWD introduces DRIVETRAIN LOSS that totally hobbles the car at high speeds, and gives you two more parts of the drivetrain to fail, that's why!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
^^^well said.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:48 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by cudaeh
The WRC fan could def. outsmart a NASCAR fan but he'd better do it quick because alcohol+NASCAR+Remington shotguns is a hell of a combination for a "city slicker".
Old 08-10-2005, 02:12 AM

This reminds me of the time when edmunds compared the GTO and STi which resulted in a 30 someodd page flamewar in various forums.

Last edited by jlunit416; 08-10-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by meilers
So, you'd race that car against a 230 MPH, 700-horsepower, 10,000 RPM redline, tube-frame, titanium bodied purpose-built racer?

Since you said Jeff Gordon (who is of course a NASCAR hick) I assume you meant the Race of Champions or the Daytona 500. Regardless, a NASCAR would kick the crap out of the Cusco STI every inch of that race.

I don't care how many bolt-ons and additions you make to any model Impreza, it would never compete in an oval track or curved track race with a purpose-built, tube-framed from the ground up racer. The idea is just idiocy. A 5.7-liter V8 is just a superior engine for putting out 700hp for 3 to 5 hours straight, and doesn't need boost to do so.

Ask yourself: why are there no official AWD-only road race or drag race classes? Oh, because AWD introduces DRIVETRAIN LOSS that totally hobbles the car at high speeds, and gives you two more parts of the drivetrain to fail, that's why!
i disagree with a statement about jeff gordon being a hick.he's a pretty well rounded guy that can keep up with the best of them.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Originally Posted by meilers

I bow to meilers, he is my God.

I love him.

I do.

Trust me.

Bye.

Quick Reply: How would an STi hold up in Nascar