Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

heel & toe and left foot braking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:51 PM

Question heel & toe and left foot braking?

this may seem like a noobish question. but y does someoen want to heel toe or left foot break i dotn fully under stand y someone would want to do it. I dont know like the basic phyisics behind it. But i know it is important to know how to do. so if u know nay good vids on people doing it so i can see some technicies and stuff that would help
Old 01-25-2007, 08:47 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I take it you aren't a fan of google? There's 87 metric tons of information on this on the wide wide world of web, but if your lucky, someone on here might dumb it down for you in a paragraph or two.

Follow up question: Why do you ask a question about something you haven't bothered to find out first for yourself?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:59 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX 4EAT (VF34'd and FMIC'd)----sold :(
This is good info.....

Left-foot braking:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-foot_braking

Heel-and-toe:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel-and-Toe#Usage

BMI, JDM Option, Hot Version, etc all have some type of camera focused on the drivers feet and gauges. Check out some of those videos if you wanna see some skill.

Good one to look at:
Suby power
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...db3f41d4d1.htm
Old 01-26-2007, 12:06 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX 4EAT (VF34'd and FMIC'd)----sold :(
Another one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1JG8PiCrM

This is all pretty much useless to me.....4eat'er. lol
Old 01-26-2007, 06:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Alright here you go,
Heel toe downshifting: IMO This is one of the most important thing for you to master. That is if you wish to be a better driver. Proper heel toe technique honestly is a godsend. During most day to day driving most people would find the technique a little cumbersome. Simply put, they are not used to doing it so it's a hassel.
The main reason for the is stability and balance. There are critical times that an upset in a cars stability can cause big problems. What heel toe downshifting does is allow you to minimize upsets. Example: I'm entering a corner, brake late as I am braking, I depress the clutch, I reach out with my heel and blip the throttle, almost instantly I have downshifted and released the clutch, as for the phase of the turn, I have just come out of turn in and I am at entry phase. The brakes have done thier job, throttle will upset my corner entry, so now I just sit and wait for the exit. This point or these points in the turn are critical to: speed through the corner, setup, exit. If your corner entry sucks your exit is gonna suck.
Now in the same case with now rev matching... I don't even know how you would do it. I do know what happens when you shift from 3000 to 5000 RPM. The car will quickly decel, weight will shift forward, back end goes light. It's just not a good thing to do. In addition it should help save your tranny a bit, much less driveline shock. Overall a nicer ride.
Left foot braking: The only time I use left foot braking is to check speed through long sweeping corners, this technique does seem to settle the car a bit. It might give you that little bit of weight transfer to plant your outside tires even more. Left foot braking,IMO should only be used for modulation, while left braking there should not be major pedal imputs. Otherwise you would resort to heel/toe or rev matching.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:01 AM

Car Info: 2004 Wrx
Heres my question, in that second video. When he uses the clutch, its as if hes not even fully depressing it. Further more when he blips the throttle the clutch is partially depressed. This just doesnt seem to make any sense to me. Shouldnt he fully push the clutch in and fully let go when hes "matching" his revs. Otherwise its too easy.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:06 AM
VIP Member

Depending on the clutch it may not be necessary to fully depress the clutch to disengage it. He is blipping in the right spot. The time between Partial depress, blip, shift and reengage is a fraction of a second.

I just watched the second video, nice vid. Just by looking at that video I can see more feedback through the pedals than I have through my whole car. Ahhh to have balla dollaz and build a sick azz race car....

Last edited by ipozestu; 01-26-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:23 AM
VIP Member

Oh man I look at it again, I just learned something. I preload my brakes differently, I like the way he is doing it. I normally double pump, the quick tap is pretty sweet, one less thing you have to worry about.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:18 PM

ok so i am going to kinda dumb it down see if i am understnading the concept you heel toe when you down shift to make it a smoother transition and not such drastic weight shifting and to do it you are pushing in the clutch and break in to do a normal down shift but as you start to engage the gear you blip the throttle to smooth the transition

left foot breaking is used when u want more of a weight transfer maybe to reduce understear

feel free to correct me if i am wrong

and i have looked stuff up but it get very over wealming at times and i know people on here can simplify it better then reading 1000000 smplified versions that all say something diffrent

Last edited by subaruferrucci; 01-26-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:27 PM

"smooth the transition" would be the best way to think of it from what you've put. You want to avoid "upsetting" the car's front-rear balance in the corners as well as avoid throttle changes. All of this helps you keep the car going as fast as you can around the track.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:03 PM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
i never do left foot braking, maybe is because i never went track before. but i toe-to-heel very often when i go in turns
Old 02-04-2007, 04:18 PM

Car Info: 2007 STI
shrugs*
Old 02-11-2007, 11:16 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
Forget left foot braking for the time being and focus on heel and toeing. Any person that drives a manual has to know how to heel and toe to drive "briskly". Heel and toeing has reward at all speeds. Left foot braking is awesome when you don't have to worry about tansmission rebuilds. I'm not talking about brushing the brake pedal with your left foot at a track event but the full on improvised traction control on acceleration by using the brakes. Don't do it is my advice.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by monsterboy
Forget left foot braking for the time being and focus on heel and toeing. Any person that drives a manual has to know how to heel and toe to drive "briskly". Heel and toeing has reward at all speeds. Left foot braking is awesome when you don't have to worry about tansmission rebuilds. I'm not talking about brushing the brake pedal with your left foot at a track event but the full on improvised traction control on acceleration by using the brakes. Don't do it is my advice.
I still need to learn how to heel/toe it myself. Downshifting on tight and windy roads will always be a pain in the *** until I do. Rev matching and then braking doesn't really work well
Old 02-12-2007, 02:36 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Left foot braking is really only useful in reduced traction situations where you want to force oversteer at turn-in- Rally driving and snow/ice situations it comes in really handy. Good heal and toe skills combined with a good feel for left foot braking is crucial for the fast rally drivers in anything less than a full on WRC spec car- where they don't have to heel-toe because of pneumo-hydraulic shifters.

As for transmission issues, mine has 211,800 miles on it, despite thousands of left foot braking set-up turns.

But that's proper left foot braking as a handling tool, I think monsterboy was talking about powerbrake launching- which is a whole 'nuther situation, and would certainly shorten the service life of a 4EAT pretty significantly.

Last edited by psoper; 02-12-2007 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: heel & toe and left foot braking?