Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Ford's STi Killer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02

also every ford i ever owned is reliable. not to sound dumb but in 34 years when there is a svx or wrx or rs still running and worth some good cash then we can talk about reliability. but they dont build em like they used to
I think it's a good thing they're not built like they used to be Part of the reason Toyota and Honda own the market today is because Ford and the other domestics built cars that only lasted 5-6 years. Also, the Focus has been getting better on reliability (as has the Neon) nearly every year since release, but I remember that reliability issues were a major reason why it wasn't a bigger success in the US. Consumer reports even downgraded the rating of the Focus because of it.

Contrast that to Subaru, who often tout that 95% of all Subarus sold since 1985 (or something like that) are still on the road today...

Take it as you will.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:46 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Thumbs up

Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
also every ford i ever owned is reliable. not to sound dumb but in 34 years when there is a svx or wrx or rs still running and worth some good cash then we can talk about reliability. but they dont build em like they used to
I agree with your statement, "they don't build 'em like they used to". Ford (as well as GM and Chrysler) used to make a very good car, then came the 70's and 80's. The Japanese took market share because they were able to build economical and more reliable cars that were more fun to drive than big American iron. Detroit has realized this and things are turning around. The Taurus immediately comes to mind as an example, a fine car for the masses that has proven reliable.

Also consider the number of Mustangs built from '65-'71 compared to the number of SVX's and Impreza's sold in the states between '95 and '01.

FWIW, my grand dad has a '71 Ford pick up with almost 300K on the clock, and those are hard miles on a farm and bumpy dusty dirt roads. My dad has a '99 F350 with 65K miles and tips the scales at just under 10,000 lbs. fully loaded with his tools. No trouble with that Ford either, except for a gas cap issue covered under warranty.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:46 PM

Car Info: 2000 RS coupe ej-20 swap
umm.........

hell Janq thanks for the novel................
Although I do agree with you. The only part you may have gone a little south on was daimler's purchase/union with chrysler. Very smart move for daimler. The countless millions they've made on marketing their suv's in the americas has made it well worth their while. And the fact that they can now build their cars on U.S. soil at factories in Detroit and Alabama makes it possible for them to sell twice as many cars in the U.S.. Mercedes is a popular "marc" in the rest of the world, but more commonly as a cheap car. It is not known as such a prestigous possesion in the rest of the world as it is in North America. Traveling to other countries, you'll see more mercedes vans, and utility vehicles than you ever would have imagined. I know this from various years of living outside of the states. However many foreigners view the chrysler as a sign of success, and many high class foreigners drive chryslers. With Daimler's focus on suv's in the states, their sales of suv's in europe has increased dramatically among the "high-class." The U.S. high class seems to set the standard world-wide of what is in.

Other than that, I couldn't agree with you more.
As far as this earlier statement,

[QUOTE]
[The Taurus immediately comes to mind as an example, a fine car for the masses that has proven reliable.
/QUOTE]

Blingblingblue obviously never owned a Taurus. Those cars are more than notorious for the time spent in the transmission shop. My opinion of why sales went so far for them was because of the countless corp. who used them for fleet cars. My father owned a Taurus from '89-'99 changing to a new model every two years. We were able to drive a lot of different vehicles during this time period. Thanks to the leasing company who provided a rental for the months of time these "reliable tauruses" spent in the shop.
Domestics have a long way to come to be competetive in the car market. They own the truck market, and always will, but until they can build a quality car for the price that they do in the orient, I'll continue buying imports.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:49 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
ohh god not another FWD turbo car
Old 04-23-2003, 04:01 PM

I know it's just a nitpick (and I KNOW I don't have the time to get into an argument with Janq ) but Hertz does rent Camrys (along with the expected Ford'ed Jags, Volvos, and Mazdas), and either they or Avis have Accords as well.

That said, a high-level exec at Ford actually said on the record a few weeks ago that the Taurus isn't selling as well because "frankly, the Camry is a better car." He also said they made a mistake by giving so many to their Hertz subsidies - people started seeing the cars as a "drab rental car". Personally, if you take out Hertz they're still drab

Hold on...

Here's a link. I figured it made it enough headlines to be easy to find:
http://itd.colorado.edu/look5836/Rea...n%20Taurus.pdf