Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

The Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by jdepould
Because only "american" companies are allowed to build "real" motors? And it's not Datsun, I realize it used to be, but it isn't anymore, so calling it Datsun is just stupid.
It's not a matter of America only building real motors. They're the only ones (aside from Italy and Germany) that are.

You're right, it is stupid to call Nissan "Datsun." I should just call them what they really are; RENAULTs! They have what, the 350Z? PUHLEEZ. That thing's a freakin' joke. Really, what does DATSUN/NISSAN/RENAULT really have in their current lineup that's worth a damn?
Old 06-04-2006, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX WRB
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
It's not a matter of America only building real motors. They're the only ones (aside from Italy and Germany) that are.

You're right, it is stupid to call Nissan "Datsun." I should just call them what they really are; RENAULTs! They have what, the 350Z? PUHLEEZ. That thing's a freakin' joke. Really, what does DATSUN/NISSAN/RENAULT really have in their current lineup that's worth a damn?

and you own a subaru why?
Old 06-04-2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by KronikInsomniaK
and you own a subaru why?
What does owning a Subaru have to do with anything? You think that just because I own a Subaru I'm required to be a fan of Japanese imports? Dude, the majority of Japanese cars suck. Honda Civics and Acura Integras do nothing for me. There are only two that I would even consider owning, and the other one is made by Mitsubishi. My main reasonings for not purchasing the Evo were not only because of Mitsubishi's reputation for their lack of reliability, but also because they are not financially stable. I've also always loved the STi (since 1994).

I've made no bones about it; I am not a fan of Japanese cars, and I've never bothered to even consider hiding the fact. I'm not a fan of companies, I'm a fan of cars. Aside from the GTO and Mustang, America's current affordable offerings are crap. The GTO would be a great car if it weren't for its excessive weight, which was a major turn-off for me. The same goes for the Mustang.

You see, there is no new Camaro to purchase, therefore I was forced to shop elsewhere. Subaru offered a very complete package; acceleration, handling, low vehicle weight, reliability, vesatility (4 doors, drive in all weather), and affordability.

BTW, I can't wait until there's a new Camaro, but bet your *** that when the Camaro is re-released, if it's a fatass (3400+ lbs) I'll be quite disappointed, but such is life. Make no mistake about it, if this is the case, GM will not be getting my hard-earned money.

As long as Subaru continues to stick to their current recipe, and as long as there are not any other companies manufacturing what I feel to be comparable products, there will be an STi/STI in my driveway.

Oh yeah, and AWD will not have anything to do with my purchasing decision. I already own an AWD car (my current '05 STi) and that car isn't going anywhere. I plan on owning it for a very long time, just as I plan on owning my 1994 Camaro for a very long time (I've already owned it for 10 years).

Last edited by Sinister Subaru; 06-04-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
spoil it?

caution: spoiler below:

a lot of gay cars racing and crashing with a few hot chicks mixed in to a scene that poorly depicts the japanese street racing, but rather what americans want to see. Oh yeah, and the good guy will "win in the end"
Old 06-04-2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by MBasile
spoil it?

caution: spoiler below:

a lot of gay cars racing and crashing with a few hot chicks mixed in to a scene that poorly depicts the japanese street racing, but rather what americans want to see. Oh yeah, and the good guy will "win in the end"
You explained exactly what I had suspected this piece of trash would be.

As if a beautiful, classic Muscle Car like a Mustang with a Nissan motor didn't give it away.....
Old 06-04-2006, 08:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
This is funny because I happen to be in Burbank right now for training and we happened on Universal today and they were doing a drifting show in the parking lot that I got to watch. That was kinda cool I must say. Viper, s2000 and Evo were cool to watch do figure eights in the parking lot. Also walked the red carpet hours before the premier. (I'm a Michigan boy so it was kinda cool!)

Anyways it was kinda funny cause we walked up to the security guard and asked him if there were going to be any "big stars" there tonight and he was like..."yeah the cast of the movie." My boss goes, "there is no stars in the movie" and the security guy got all offended and said "Bow Wow" is a big star. We left at that point....
Old 06-04-2006, 08:36 PM

Car Info: SlickSilver
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
I will not pay to see it. I may watch it on tv if I am really, really bored.
Same here. I mean just look at the other Fast-n-The Furious movies. All they did was bring out more ricers. I'll just watch it on TV while i'm waiting for my "overnight parts from Japan". j/k lol
Old 06-04-2006, 08:39 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Then you shouldn't have brought it up.

BTW, I don't plan on owning an RB motor either. I prefer fast cars.

Oh, yes, see this site? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_RB_engine

280hp. Wooohooo! What a rush! Now, there's a recipe for a low 14 second car right there! And wait, isn't that 280 TURBOCHARGED horsepower? back in 1992 GM came out with an LT1 in a Corvette that made 300 NORMALLY ASPIRATED horsepower.
You do realize it makes more than 280 hp right? The only reason it said 280 was because of the agreement among Japan's car manufacturers that they wouldn't produce engines with more than 280 hp. In reality the motor is making upwards of 315 hp. Not to mention the fact that GTRs handle like stink, especially compared to American cars that go fast in straight lines.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by jdepould
You do realize it makes more than 280 hp right? The only reason it said 280 was because of the agreement among Japan's car manufacturers that they wouldn't produce engines with more than 280 hp. In reality the motor is making upwards of 315 hp. Not to mention the fact that GTRs handle like stink, especially compared to American cars that go fast in straight lines.
Yeah, GTRs handle so well. You've driven so many that you can make such a claim. Dude, they handle at about 0.87g on the skidpad, and they weigh 3600 lbs. A Camaro SS handles at 0.87g on the skidpad. If you really want to argue about it, a '85-'87 IROC-Z handles at 0.90g on the skidpad. These are cheaper cars with antiquated suspensions.....

315 hp? WOW. LS1s were rated at 305 hp and belting out nearly 350-360 hp......normally aspirated.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Maybe you ought to try and read more.....

"In reality, it developed more than this due to all main Japanese car manufacturers having to adhere with a 'gentlemen's agreement', which specifies that a manufactured vehicle should not be advertised with an engine exceeding 206 kW."

"However, several stock and unmodified engines have been dyno tested and reported to obtain nearer the 320hp mark"

Also, if you read further into the article you learn where the true value of the RB series motors lies:

"It is widely renowned for its strength and extreme power potential, as some examples have been known to produce over 1000hp (735kW) with relatively minor modifications. It is not uncommon for 600hp to be archieved without any alterations being made to the internal engine components, and the engine block can supposedly hold horsepower values approaching 1360hp (1000kw)."

Keep hating on Nissan, today...I'd agree with you, they are not producing anything truly up to their design and manufacturing potential (but having done this for the better part of a decade is what put them in the current situation) but the RB, CA and SR motors are alot more than what you give them credit for.

Since you have NO experience with the RB motor...I'll forgive your ignorance. You speak of cars that you have had no real exposure too, and the little information that you do have...is based off of poorly written articles off of Wikpedia...that you yourself did not take the time to read, nor comprehend.

I've owned more than my fair share of Nissans while I was stationed in Japan. One of each of the main series (CA, RB and SR) and all were extremely easy to maintain, produced considerable gains with the minimal of work, and were some of the best put together power plants I have had the pleasure to own and work on.

I would gladly take a Nissan over a Mustang any day of the week and twice on holidays.

Last edited by RedStage; 06-04-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:58 AM

Car Info: 2006 Evolution IX MR
Just a quick review. Surprisingly, it was 1000 times better than FF2. In fact, if thay had just called it Tokyo Drift, and there was not a surprise appearance in the end, you would have no connection with the other films. The driving sceens were intense, the crashes were shocking. Though I've never been to Japan, I don't think they made a complete mockery of the illegal racing sceen. Of corse, the JDM school girls were hot, though they were not shown enough. The cars were all killer (if you could imagine them without all the goofie graphics).
All this being said, the dialog was horrendous. I'm not sure if the hire 12 yr old kids to do the writing, but it just takes the level of the movie way down. I kept thinking that that if you could edit out all the talking it would be a great movie ( think the movie LeMans ). The worst part of the movie was the main actor, the new Brian Spilner type charactor. This is not an exaggeration when I say, it seemd like he based his charactor on Billy Bob Thorton's charactor in Slingblade. "I likes french fried po-taters while drifting".
In any case it was a decient move. Entertaining if nothing else. I think it will do well in the theaters.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:35 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Yeah, GTRs handle so well. You've driven so many that you can make such a claim. Dude, they handle at about 0.87g on the skidpad, and they weigh 3600 lbs. A Camaro SS handles at 0.87g on the skidpad. If you really want to argue about it, a '85-'87 IROC-Z handles at 0.90g on the skidpad. These are cheaper cars with antiquated suspensions.....

315 hp? WOW. LS1s were rated at 305 hp and belting out nearly 350-360 hp......normally aspirated.
Handling isn't all about skidpad numbers, with intelligent AWD and 4 wheel steering, you'll be able to get on the power sooner and harder than with straight RWD, even with an LSD.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:46 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx all stock ... for now
Wink ff3

movie was awsome!!! haha not.
4 points...
-girls were really hot

-mustang rb? no

-wrx and evo 2 wheel drive? thats like cheeting on your girlfriend

- in the beginning theres a part where the "DK" or ***** king is drifting around a one lane up ramp completly.. "drifting"... if you look closly to that part you can actually see the little motorized cart that they used to make the car magically drift.

check it out . you will laugh