Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Driving a stick

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 11:34 PM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
hehe nice, well now u know how to drive stick, more power to you! WRX all the way baby!!
Old 08-03-2003, 10:30 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
I learned on my friend's Z, and now my first stick is an STi..........the humiliation of stalling in an STi at a 4 way major intersection promted me to eat, sleep, and drink stick for a week, it was good motivation i tells ya

But yea, the STi tranny and clutch are pretty forgiving, but practice on a beater, your car will thank you for it.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:42 PM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
lol good story seraph, hey yall, i agree ur car will t hank you for practicing on a beater
Old 08-06-2003, 10:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I learned by playing virtu-reality arcade car games
Old 08-07-2003, 06:43 PM

I turn my fastest laps in Gran Turismo with the manual. But, thats in testing and qualifying. I usually race with the auto, so I can concentrate on other things.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
its my understanding that a car cant be in gear at a stop so you would either have it in 1st with the clutch in or out of gear, right?
Old 08-10-2003, 05:11 AM
VIP Member

that site says not to shift into first when braking and coming to a stop..why not?(page 5-bottom)
Old 08-10-2003, 09:18 AM
VIP Member

can you get it for xbox or cp? and ive played this realistic ferrari racing game at dave and busters which i think helps a little with coordination and getting used to a manual tranny
Old 08-10-2003, 09:39 AM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
Sega GT2k2 is a nice racing game for Xbox, just not as many cars as GT3 is all.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:18 PM

Car Info: '03 Impreza WRX
But for the sake of turning the converstion to another direction, does anybody else ever make this mistake in an automatic: Start from a stop, let the engine run up in first gear, then lift off the gas and JAM the brake like it's a clutch?

I learned on a stick and have rarely driven anything else, so I have the reverse problem when trying to drive an automatic - imagine a left foot used to the clutch, trying to depress the brake pedal all the way! (Can we say Kangaroo?!!)

The best advice I can give you is if you're going to drive both automatic and manual (stick), is drive the auto with your right-foot only.

its my understanding that a car cant be in gear at a stop so you would either have it in 1st with the clutch in or out of gear, right?

You can be in gear when stationary, in fact it's normal to sit at a stop light in 1st gear (with the clutch fully depressed and the gas fully raised of course).

What you do NOT want to do is sit on a hill, in gear and using the biting point (clutch/gas pedals) to hold you stationary instead of the brake - that is an excellent way to shorten the life of your clutch.

that site says not to shift into first when braking and coming to a stop..why not?(page 5-bottom)

Downshifting on deceleration is to take advantage of engine braking, the lowest gear you want to downshift and let the clutch out is 2nd - 1st is for starting from stationary, nothing else.

I typically downshift one gear 4-3 or 3-2 when driving in the city, two gears 5-4-3 when coming off the freeway.

Tip: in a 2WD, in wet/icy conditions, starting from 2nd is better and you can actually get going in 2nd at any time although you gotta ease the clutch out slow or you'll stall. (I've even got rolling in 3rd before, though I don't recommend it )

Definately learn to drive stick on a junker, unless you really want to knacker the clutch and possibly the gearbox of a nice car.

I doubt you will be able to find a rental car that is not an automatic, at least in the US - just doesn't seem to be the demand for 'em.

Welcome to having REAL control of your car!

Quick Reply: Driving a stick